1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unlocking steering and trans?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Grey Bearded One, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Grey Bearded One

Grey Bearded One Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My daughter inherited her grandfather's 2005 Prius. The thing is immaculate and had the batteries replaced in 2019 so I'm happy about that.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to unlock the steering wheel if there is no power. Also, would like to know how to shift into neutral without power? Why? In case the car dies and needs to be towed.

Thanks.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The steering wheel isn't locked (there's no locking mechanism).

However, there is no method to shift into neutral with 12V power, unfortunately.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just carry a jump pack

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Towing companies can tow cars with two wheels locked.......except in very unusual circumstances.
    And despite the warnings in the manual, the 12 V battery can be jumped unless there has been a very unusual failure.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Grey Bearded One

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? I've never driven the car, so I can turn the wheel with the car off? I thought that locking steering wheels were required by law.

Very interesting.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. It's annoying cause we were used to cars with locking wheel mechanisms in our other Toyotas and we figured it was like a built-in theft deterrent feature.

Not sure about the laws.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The theft-deterrent box is checked by the transmission park actuator. You'll notice it's located (for Gen 2) on a side of the transmission that is devilish difficult to even reach with the transmission in the car, and it is a type of electric motor called "switched reluctance" that you wouldn't even be able to make spin by cutting the wires and jumping to a battery. You need a circuit to pulse current in rapid succession on the right sequence of windings.

For Gen 3 the actuator moved to a more accessible spot on the transmission, but is attached there with tamper-resisting screws and collars.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you ever run into the situation where the 12v battery is drained, all you need to do is connect a jump(pack or spare battery or other car battery) to the underhood jump point inside the fusebox located on the upper driverside corner. That will allow all the electronics to be powered up using the power button on the dash. After any complete loss/restoration of 12v power, the power button will need to be pressed 2x to clear all the alarms that will be displayed. Then just use the shifter to put the transaxle in neutral. I'm pretty sure it will stay in neutral if you then disconnect the jump. That's assuming you don't want to just make it go into ready condition while you have the jump connected.

Skibob likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Sam Spade 2’s reponse does an end-run around all the concerns: towing is invariably done with the front wheels off the ground.

10. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    One more important note:
    You should be worrying more about losing BOTH keys than about towing.
    There should be TWO keys for the vehicle and the "manual" key should work to unlock the door(s).

That should give you access to the inside of the car and the battery under the back seat or jump points under the hood.
    Seems like I remember that there is a "slot" near the shifter to disable the parking function too.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s a Honda thing; maybe that’s what you’re thinking of?

12. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No, haven't owned a Honda for 30 years or more.
    Maybe it's my Ford.
    Or maybe the C has it and others don't.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The parking pawl motor is also known as a brushless dc motor- similar to MG1 and MG2.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The shift interlock bypass is somewhat common for asian makes (esp Hondas) , but not so much for US or euro cars. The Gen2 electronic shifter has no bypass.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    MG1 and MG2 are three-phase synchronous AC motors.

If you draw a box around each one and make the box big enough to include the inverter section that drives it, you could sort of call that whole box a brushless DC motor, if you wanted to. The resolver (built into the transmission) and the switching circuitry in the inverter play the role of the electronic commutation circuitry that a BLDC motor would include.

The parking pawl motor is a switched reluctance motor. Here again, you can build a BLDC motor out of a switched-reluctance motor and the right kind of commutating circuit; if you draw a box around the parking pawl motor and make the box big enough to include the Transmission Control ECU, then bingo, you can call that entire box a BLDC motor. It's a rather finicky BLDC motor, though, that doesn't agree you deserve to spin anything unless your transmitted key fob code is right.

#15 ChapmanF, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  16. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are correct in your descriptions, I was just going on the (very) basic principles of pulsed DC coils (ok- synthesized AC) driving a permanent magnet rotor.

17. Grey Bearded One

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm old enough to remember when the ignition key moved to the steering column to "reduce theft." I did find this on the interwebz " The NHTSA said if a manufacturer proved to them that the car was hard to steal because of some other anti-theft device, it would grant a waiver of the steering wheel lock requirement for that model. "

I believe that the car came with two fobs and, apparently, you can't start the car without a fob.

My personal nature and my professional training makes me worry about the unusual cases. Such as the car is parked nose in against a wall and the turbo encabulator has died so the electric "park" function no longer works. Slight chance sure, but slight is still greater than zero.

#17 Grey Bearded One, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2021
  18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh. I remember reading a magazine a long time ago (15 years? 20?) that a dash-mounted ignition is more secure than a steering wheel mounted one because it's more cumbersome to take apart to hotwire (this is in the era of plastic moulded dashboards... so late 80s/90s and early 2000s rather than the 60s and 70s). I assumed the steering wheel location was because of cost savings.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In some other car that used a steering lock instead of the park lock to satisfy the theft-prevention requirement, you could still face the same inconvenience (especially if the car was parked with the wheels turned).

Tow drivers have ways of dealing with those kinds of inconveniences.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’d think they commonly tow with front wheels off the ground, but wonder how they deal with an unattended car with a set parking brake. The more unscrupulous ones maybe just ignore it and tow, with the brake set. Or they break in and release parking brake. Or put the rear on a dolly.