1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unlocking steering and trans?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Grey Bearded One, Feb 4, 2021.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My sweetie and I once sailed from St. Ignace to Mackinac Island for a friend's wedding, sailed back, tied up at the launch ramp, and discovered that my truck and her trailer were nowhere to be found.

Turned out during the weekend we were on the island, St. Ignace had used the parking area there for some kind of festival (would have been nice if that had been posted somewhere), and had simply parked my truck and the trailer on the street a few blocks into town. Locked up, steering locked, parking brake on, and a boat trailer locked on the back.

Didn't do any damage we could discover. Tow drivers have ways.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know who said that but with some wire I could get under the hood of any old car and hot wire it in a short time, a very short time. Then it's just a matter of getting the starter to engage. Old Ford super easy, my 85 Isuzu somewhat harder.

Sounds like you read something from some writer with little knowledge. I have hot wired cars before, it's not that hard with the older cars.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  3. Grey Bearded One

Grey Bearded One Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen tow operators just drag cars with locked wheels, leaving streaks of rubber on the ground. Not a pleasant sight.

In college (ca. 1980) I worked at an office building for a goodly sized company. One of the execs had left his car in the parking lot when he had gone out of town of business. Well, it so happened that the parking lot was being resealed that weekend. So a tow truck came and dragged his car, leaving streaks of rubber to the other side of the parking lot. After the first part was done, they dragged it back, leaving more streaks of rubber. Scuttlebutt was that the exec's car was seriously messed up.