1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unlocking the trunk

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by charliebrownsprius, Nov 17, 2020.

1. charliebrownsprius

charliebrownsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    When I walk up to the drivers door with the fob in my pocket, the door automatically opens.

Is there any way to set it up on the 2020 Prius Prime hybrid plugin so that the trunk opens when I walk up to it with the fob in my pocket?

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is this new? I have to touch the door handle.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the U.S., models with 3-door SKS work that way, models with 1-door SKS don't, at least on other older Prius models. The base Prime has just the 1-door version of SKS.

I haven't looked at the Canadian brochures.

schja01 likes this.
  4. charliebrownsprius

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    I have to unlock with the fob before the trunk will open. I was just wondering if there was a way to avoid it. I've seen some commercials for other cars where you walk up to the car, slide your foot under the back side and the trunk opens...it's a nice feature when your hands are full in the rain.

5. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You don't really mean that the door automatically opens, do you? Don't you mean that it automatically unlocks? Incidentally, I never use my key fob to lock or unlock the driver's door. Just grasp the door handle and it will unlock or lock if it is unlocked. The fob stays in my pocket.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even with 3-door SKS (Smart Key System), it wouldn't open up hands-free. It would just unlock, then you'd have to touch a button under the spoiler to unlatch and manually lift.

But if you base model has just 1-door SKS, then you must first with the fob, or by touch at the driver door handle, before manually opening the hatch.

Though note that Canadian feature sets are not identical to U.S. features, so check your own brochures.

7. charliebrownsprius

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Wrong choice of words, yes, you are correct, I wish the trunk would unlock without having to push the button down on the fob. I know this feature is available in a few other cars, just not sure if it is available on the Prius, but somehow, I doubt it.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is but it's only on the Prime Upgrade and Prime Upgrade w/ Technology package models. The base model only has SKS on the driver's door.

If you're handy, you can try installing a power liftgate on your own.

Aftermarket Power Hatch Kit - Installation Guide | PriusChat