1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unmanned Tesla 3 on Autopilot sets new record.

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by el Crucero, Jul 16, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A Tesla 3 has set a new range record of 622 miles while on Autopilot with no driver. The average speed was around 25 mph, it was a closed course with well marked lanes, there was no traffic to contend with, there was no stop and go procedures, and the course was essentially flat. This test is not indicative of real world conditions. But it does give a small glimpse, a door just cracked open, of the potential for Full Self Driving and potential for BEVs range in the near future. This step is just a tiny, tiny step for Tesla technology and it should not be taken out of context. Much work is left to be done and Tesla appears to be pushing the envelope rapidly with their Over The Air advancements.

These are exciting times for this new technology in personal transportation.

2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It may mean old people can keep their license longer. :)

And drunks?:cry:

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    better drunk riding than driving. my 97 y.o. father would love it.(y)

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prefect, more ways to dumb us down. Soon we won't have to think, we can just let automation do it all for us!

5. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I want to be like your father!

How's that computer you're on right now working for ya, @orenji?

#5 el Crucero, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2018
  6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great, it's making my brain cells keep up with you :)

bisco likes this.
  7. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good, then Tesla's advanced technology will help your brain cells keep up with them.

8. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty sure every conversation on here loses a few IQ points once you two start your little fanboy spats.

Trollbait and bisco like this.
  9. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "No fanboy, no fanboy, you're the fanboy. You don't like Tesla because Tesla has outsmarted you at every step of the way.” (2016 Presidential debates where something like 48% of the American electorate lost about 50 I.Q. points!) :p

Hey @orenji is my amigo, we're just joking with each other, ignore us both. (y)

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    Just about the time they want to take my keys away from me and send me to the drydock, I might be able to tell them that I will donate my entire estate to charity if they try.....:D

11. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have absolutely no idea how old you are @ETC(SS) or does it matter, but I would guess that there is a 99% chance that I am older than you are. What gives me hope for my elderly future is Full Self Driving technology promoted primarily by Tesla for personal transportation. I look forward to a vehicle that is Level 5 FSD in a few years. It will be able to take me to doctor appointments, grocery shopping, my favorite restaurants, and give me a certain level of independence without depending on the kids. This may come as a shock to you, but I'm not planning to go "quietly into the night." I plan to be active and vehicularly mobile well past 100. I am doing this by losing weight, eating healthy, getting lots of aerobic exercise, keeping engaged on a social level (including the Internet), and fighting for an environment and climate that is conducive to my longevity. For me it is a matter of life and death! Tesla and their cars (and anyone else building BEVs) is a big part of my plan. @ETC(SS) you can do it too! I would like nothing better than hanging out with you on the porch at the young folks home at 100 years+ old, sitting in our rockers, arguing, poking each other with our canes right before we hop into my Tesla with FSD and it drives us to pick up a beer to share. The FUTURE is at hand.

#11 el Crucero, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  12. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually......I'm in my 50's, med-free, 99-percent Vegan, and I can still pass a Navy Fitness test for my age bracket.
    Don't judge me......I'm not a PITA type....and I would eat animals with every meal if I were able to, but I'm trying to STAY med-free and although I was born in the deep end of the gene pool, I do have a family history with very high cholesterol.

Before I got lured into big phone, I did electronics for dot.gov in an R/D environment, and I have some humble fluency in IOT - which might be my next career hop.
    The thing that is driving autonomous vehicles isn't people that live in coastal areas where coastal inversion and poor city planning causes smog, but rather it's freight. When you see tractor trailers driving down the road sans drivers then you will know that they're getting close.
    This isn't quite as new as some of the glossy pamphlets would have one to believe that it is, and a lot of people outside of zip codes starting with 9 are actually lifting on that log too.
    History of autonomous cars - Wikipedia
    Personally?
    I think that it's going to take a lot longer than "a couple of years" but that's me being me again.

I'm ULTRA exited by some of the advances in IOT that are coming out of the 'other' Silicon Valley (Shenzhen) which promise to let folks like me age in place.
    Some of the new tech/old tech out there (ESP8x / MQTT / Home Automation) promises to make the REAL tomorrow.....meaning probably about 10 years or so, lift a lot of boats.
    The really cool thing is that a lot of people are doing a lot of work quietly and behind the scenes in the open source world.

13. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What I'd really like is for some of the SuperCharger stations to have that automatic snake charger thing that auto-plugs in. Then I can send my Tesla car far away and wait for me to arrive by plane. Sitting in my chair in Colorado send it to Seattle lets say. It navigates and charges by itself. Ok if it takes 3 days, I'm not in it. Fly out there and when I land in the airport my driverless vehicle shows up to pick me up and I can then drive it myself around the city if I want to.

I am also interested how autonomous vehicles (especially freight) will be handled at land crossings. Say I sent it Toronto to await my arrival, it has to cross a federal border with inspections and questions... Does the car have to video call me to speak with an agent? Or will there be a special routine where automated vehicles go to a marked bay, park, unlock and open all doors/trunks/frunks, and await clearance? That will be cool.

14. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the out-of-the box thinking there....
    Imagine having a 20-percent interest in a hangared S class, and summoning it by phone.
    Or?
    If Uber ever pulls its chestnuts out of the fire and harnesses fleets of autonomous cars to do the taxi thing, then one might imagine a world where people who live in big cities don't even NEED a car.

Me?
    I still LIKE the freedom of doing the stick-and-rudder thing for myself but I like where some of the supervisory electronics are going for the not-too-far-off day when I don't have all of the dots on my dice.

.....just as long as HAL opens the doors when I TELL it to!
    :)

benagi likes this.
  15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And you wouldn't have to "check bags" as you just load them in the trunk before you wave the autonomous vehicle goodbye.

16. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :LOL: A mere baby!
    That would be 0-60 sprint from one men's shower to the next!

17. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have the perfect form for personal self-conveyance for you!
    [​IMG]

18. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK...
    Since you swerved us off of the road.....

A good friend of mine had a horse farm in middle Georgia (the US state, not the nation near the Balkans) and I consider it a great personal accomplishment that I managed not to shoot any of the horses or mules whenever I visited or worked on the farm...so no.
    I don't ride them.
    Interestingly enough, the guy across the street from my property in the county has 4 donkeys (asses) with his herd of (about 60) cows for coyote detection and control.
    They work out rather well, and if I ever move back there I might just buy a good night vision scope and use the donkeys as an au-natural tripwire system to staple some of coyotes to the pasture and give some of the local carrion eaters an easy meal.
    A good friend down the road from me DOES have 3-4 horses and he hand-refurbished a carriage that he sometimes rents out for wedding pictures.
    I had to fuss at him a little about lighting at night because some of the local teens are speed limit averse and the gentleman in question didn't quite realize that a reflective tri-dangle just doesn't get the job done!!!
    I also grew up in Amish country.
    No...not the goofy made-for-TV stuff, but REAL people who understand what the whole ICE-free thing is.
    Like many things, it's not as groovy as it looks on TV, and although I assiduously defend their right to live as they do, it's not MY thing. My warm feelings for the Mennonites/Amish are probably enhanced by the fact that they don't go round telling other folks what to do....

The donkeys and the horses I mentioned above are probably pretty carbon neutral, since neither of their owners trailer them around very much so that they can be "statistically" green, but I'm thinking that the hobby-horse and mule set are probably less so.

If I'm going to RIDE something, I have two PROPER, ICE powered motorcycles.

#18 ETC(SS), Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  19. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Coyotes serve a useful purpose in the ecosystem by managing over population of some species. We have them here too, we have invaded their territory. Indiscriminate killing of coyotes is short-sighted, ill-advised, uneducated, and counterproductive. I say let's arm the coyotes so they can staple some of the human aggressors in the pasture.

My wife is Mennonite (not Amish), and a beautiful one at that, and she feels more strongly about climate change than I do. She'll be more than happy to tell you what to do with your ICE cars and motorcycles! :eek:

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    if old starts at 62 & ⅞, I'm all over it.

padroo likes this.