1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unstable at higher speeds

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GreenRepublican09, Nov 25, 2008.

1. GreenRepublican09

GreenRepublican09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Loving my car so far, but I have noticed that on the freeway the car seems unstable. I feel it being jerked around even in no wind. Anybody know what the cause is? Is the car just really light? Please keep in mind, I'm not going 90mph, just 65-70.

2. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Stock tires track "rain" grooves in the road. A lot! Move up to 195's over the stock 185's and there is a big difference.
    Otherwise learn to relax and let it go and overall the car tracks pretty straight over the long haul. Its just kind of unusual to let a car float left and right 6" or so as it tracks the grooves.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You should have the alignment checked if you haven't done so already. My car felt unstable at highway speeds when I first got it. The toe in was out of spec on the right rear. The car had a tendency to turn one direction a lot easier than the other, giving it an unstable feeling because the correction was not the same in both directions. The worst conditions for feeling this was at highway speeds with a crosswind.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Prius is in fact a little on the heavy side for a car of its length and width.

+1 on dogfriend's suggestion regarding the alignment. The 2nd Generation Prius has a history of being delivered out of alignment. That's why there was a separate TSB about it, and there's a separate, express, 1 year/20,000 mile warranty for it.

In any event, supplementing all of the above suggestions, you might consider getting the BT Tech front Strut Tower Brace and rear Stiffening Plate from the PriusChat Shop. IMO, they improve the car's tracking and handling a lot, especially the Strut Tower Brace.

5. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am also having the same problem.

6. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    ALL of the posts above are sound. These tires track rain grooves like water in a trough. Sanity check the front end alignment. If it's off, it will get corrected. If it's okay, then you purchased some very cost-effectie peace of mind. It's unclear what your mileage is. If your mileage is low and you haven't hit any curbs or potholes then it is probably okay.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I stayed with the 185 size tires, but swapped out the OEM Goodyear POS tires with some good ones. The difference is like night and day.

Tom

8. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have had nearly same problems. My suggestion is to prove the adjustment of stearance and chassis. They has often to much tolerance. After correction of only a little tick in stearance it has a much better handling. May be that better tires also has a positive effect for a better handling. In my opinion the Prius has no good straight running ability. All other cars I owned before has this better done. Sorry english is not my mothertounge.

9. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One other issue is the question of what cars you are comparing it to.

The first car I drove up to 90 miles an hour was my father's 1968 Ford Mustang. I was lucky that I was on a divided highway with no other traffic near me. The thing was wandering back and forth over a substantial fraction of a lane.

Later I owned a 1975 BMW 2002 and a 1987 BMW 325i. When they were new, either one of those cars felt more stable at 90 mph than it did at 50 mph. On the other hand, somewhere up past 100,000 miles on the car I found the 325 felt unstable just doing a freeway past at 85. As people above have suggested, that was my cue for a little suspension work (I forget whether it was alignment or whether I actually needed to replace a part).

So the real question in your case is whether there really is anything specifically wrong with your Prius, or you are just accustomed to cars that track more stably at speed. Perhaps you could exchange cars for a day with another Prius owner who is happy with theirs.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have had 2 Pri's and never had an issue described here in either one both using stock tires. have the vehicle checked out...

the BT brace helps but not in this situation. i will say, we have bridges here that run east-west across the straits of Puget Sound where the winds funnel between the Olympics and Cascade mountain ranges and on those bridges, the BT brace does help a lot with the north-south winds.

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't be surprised if alignment is not the cause. Mine felt the same way when it was new and the alignment was spot-on. Not wanting to bother with new tires, after a few weeks I got used to the feel of it.

12. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    When I upped the air pressure to 42/40, the instability was reduced. When I bought GOOD tires to replace the Goodyear Integrity tires the instability disappeared completely (with no realignment, although that could hep as well). My first replacement tires were Michelin MXV4+ "energy saving" tires which were very good, but my present Nokian WR tires are great. Both improved MPG with the Michelin tires giving a small improvement (about 0.5 MPG) and the Nokian tires getting a 2 MPG improvement (averaged over a 12 month period) compared to the original tires.

JeffD

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are several possible causes for this. First, get the alignment checked, if for no other reason than to rule that one out. Apparently many Prius are delivered out of spec. Better tires are a good idea even if you're not having handling issues - the improvements in stability, braking, and traction make the car much safer. Chassis braces also help, though more with cornering. Another thing is to 'get used to it'. Not the wandering, I mean, but the car. When I first got mine, it was all over the place. After awhile, I realised it was my fault. I was used to a larger car with a fair bit of play in the steering, and was in the habit of gently moving the steering wheel back and forth. The Prius's steering lacks feel, but not precison. Every little movement of the steering wheel translates into movement of the front wheels.

14. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I too had this on my new 2006 until this week. I replaced the OEMs with same size Michelin MXV4s. With new tires I decided to also have the front wheels aligned and checked as I never checked it since new. I think I just got use to the higher speed wandering in the freeway lanes.

Well I'm glad I checked the front alignment as the guy told me they were toed out 3 degrees! Our speed limits on the interstates are 75mph and the difference is night and day. The Prius is VERY stable with a proper alignment and good tires.

15. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Incorrect toe in or toe out does not cause stability issue absolutely. It may cause over steer or under steer problem on high speed turns and of cause excessive tire wear.
    Stability is usually caused by insufficient traction from the tires, light weight vehicles reduce the traction and tall vehicles aggravate the traction requirements.
    A good tire with good traction will improve the stability.

16. GreenRepublican09

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The car is only about 2 months old and has roughly 1300 miles on it. I thought about the tires, I'll probably do that sometime soon. It may also be the comparison... I drove a 2000 Mustang for 6 years. The car was wide for its size and hardly moved on the freeway. All other cars I've driven for significant amounts of time have been larger and heavier. Could it really be the alignment this soon after I got it? Normally I notice that kind of thing even at lower speeds, and the car does move one way more, it just seems to get knocked all over the place when my hands aren't moving.
    I'm also not great on the technical terms. I appreciate all the input, but can you guys use laymans terms?

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In some of them the alignment is bad from Day 1, caused by the way the car was tied down on the ship.

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Also note that the electrically assisted steering in the Prius has little dead band or feedback. It's very easy to over control until you get used to it.

Tom

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes. Assume nothing about the alignment until it has been measured.
    Let me suggest:

• early tire rotation - this gets them in front of a technician who can
    • measure tread depth - normally they do just center and edges for each tire. If there has been an alignment problem, this will be 'the smoking gun.'
    • wheel alignment - get a hard copy listing with all of the values:
      • toe - how much the tires try to roll towards each other. More toe, more stability but higher drag. Unequal toe tends to pull. Outside toe, the car becomes unstable and tries to dart to either side.
      • camber - how much the tops of the tires lean towards the car body. More camber, the better to take sharp turns at high speed. Less camber, less drag and more even wear.
    • caster - how the steering linkages work so turns are smooth and the tires don't 'make smoke' in a turn. More of a linkages and suspension issue, it tends to go bad only after a bad accident or bad road hazard event ... very bad event ... like an accident type event.
    I would recommend asking Mr.Google about wheel alignment but if you'll get your tires rotated, tread depth measured, and the alignment report brought here, we have a number of folks who can make practical recommendations.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

20. GreenRepublican09

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks for all the input. I think when I have the oil changed I'll ask them to check the alignment.