1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unusual AC aound accompanied by fluctuating airflow.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Austin Longenecker, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Austin Longenecker

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Howdy y'all. Yesterday I noticed my 2010 Prius AC would blow unsteady. It would rapidly fluctuate from almost a dead stop to whatever speed I had it set to. This persisted today and when I rolled my window down, I could hear this horribly loud sound coming from the engine compartment. I turned the AC off and moments later the sound stopped. Back on and the sound returns. I recorded a video of the sound, but could not catch anything to show the fluctuating power. Does anyone have any ideas of what's going on? The vehicle has been in Texas for 9 of its 10 years, so the AC has had to fight the brutal summers until last summer when I moved to Minnesota. I've owned the vehicle for 3 years, since 100K miles (130K now). 12V is less than a year old.

Some research leads me to believe it's the compressor?

Does anyone have any recommendations for mechanics in the Saint Cloud Minnesota area? Or any idea what it would cost? Assuming it is the compressor, if someone think its something else, for that too.

I've attached a youtube link below:

#1 Austin Longenecker, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. Austin Longenecker

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The air it blows is still cold, just not very steady air.

3. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Sounds like the AC system is trying to fight really hard and spit up that compressor to cool off the cabin. When was the last time the refrigerant was drain and recharged ?.

If you know what the lurch refrigerant suction line yes I’m willing to bet when you place your hand on it and air-conditioning is running it’s not cold.

You’re probably several ounces low on refrigerant so the compressor just keeps trying to spin faster to move more refrigerant past the expansion valve to cool the cabin because this is the command it is getting from its logic programming it does not know it’s low on refrigerant.

There is a pressure sensor that would not allow the compressor to run if it was 100% zero psi empty on refrigerant.

If that was the compressor sound that’s the sound of no lubrication coming back to the compressor with no extra refrigerant to spray a cool mist of fog if you can picture that in your mind of an aerosol to cool the hot electric motor windings.

This is what happens periodically because the Toyota manual does not tell you, you should perform this process of recovering all the refrigerant out of your system and completely recharging it by weight indicated on the sticker under the hood.

Remember Toyota only has to let the components get out of warranty before they break down guarantee more work back to their franchise dealerships.
    If they wrote down the air-conditioning Hass to be serviced every couple years this would make their car look like it had a higher annual maintenance expense that would make it unappealing to customers.

Austin Longenecker likes this.
  4. Austin Longenecker

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I have not had it drained and recharged since I purchased the vehicle almost 3 years ago. I found a YouTube video making it seem as if thay was the compressor failing. Really hoping it's not that because a google search shows that to be expensive.

5. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

When you let the refrigerant go low and listening to that sound that is the beginnings of a failure. Let’s see if you caught it in time.

Usually when I pull the desiccant material sock out of the condenser which is also a maintenance procedure. I have photos of this in my photo album if you visit look it up I show photos and explain what has happened.

If I removed your desiccant sock out of your condenser it’ll probably have a dark gray to black stain on it in the beginnings of some tiny shiny metal particles from being severely overheated from lack of refrigerant is charge.

6. Austin Longenecker

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's good to know. I immediately went home after I heard the sound and turned the temp up as to put as little stress on the ac as possible, so it hasn't been put through too much. Hoping I did catch it in time.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The air flow is NOT affected by the compressor.
    You most likely have a fan motor going bad......or it is clogged with debris.
    Alas, it might be VERY hard to get to to replace.

8. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Here we go again. :eek:

ALL of that wasted verbiage and never got close to the real problem which most likely is the fan motor itself.

9. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That is NOT a recommended routine service procedure.
    IT JUST IS NOT.
    Suggesting that to people is just being irresponsible.

10. Austin Longenecker

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're right. It's not routine. But in the even that something breaks or begins to break the scenario is no longer routine. I've got a service scheduled and will see what they think.

11. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I even stated in my comment that Toyota does not recommend this in their manual. And the reason they don’t state it is financial it all comes down to the dollar and making their car look cheaper the service.
    It’s irresponsible not telling somebody to keep their refrigerant charge completely full so they don’t burn out a compressor.
    Unless you have a intentional alternative motive to make money off a customers burning up their compressors then I can completely understand why you would tell somebody not to keep the refrigerant charge up to the factory recommended level. Now it makes sense just to screw the customer out of a big dollar repair bill replacing a compressor, got you understand where you’re coming from. Why did I think of that or see that in the first place.

I guess we should start recommending when somebody’s engine coolant level goes low or gets old don’t do a drain and refill just keep driving the vehicle until the engine burns up.

Transmission oil you never need to change that it’s lifetime just keep going until the transmission burns up.

Car is getting old brake fluid is running low and starting to absorb moisture and become acidic don’t change it just wait until your ABS unit goes out on you

Power steering fluid you don’t have to drain it and flush it and clean it out just wait till your power steering pump burns up all the metal flakes get spread throughout the lines into the power steering rack take out the seals on the power steering rack and replace your whole steering system wow you’re a genius how much more work or automotive repair shops would have with large multi thousand dollar repairs to take the money out of customers wallets.wow you’re a genius how much more work or automotive repair shops would have with large multi thousand dollar repairs to take the money out of customers wallets. all the automotive shops should be sending you a bonus check for your master genius plan of causing customers to have expensive unnecessary repairs.

You should write a automotive repair manual for For automotive shop owners we can call it the “Bernie Madeoff automotive repair procedures for high profits”.

#11 lech auto air conditionin, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  12. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This "discussion" is ridiculous.
    I will not respond to any more of your posts that are WAY out in left field.

THIS person is having trouble with his FAN not running at a consistent speed.
    On the list of possible causes for this, low charge or a bad compressor are on the list right before "an alien death ray".......but not much before.

The fan runs on 12 V. The compressor runs on the HV battery. The two are pretty much isolated from each other.

Then.....my Dad bought a pickup truck new in 1976. The AC still worked great in 2006 without any service.......FOR 30 YEARS.
    I don't remember the last time I had to have an AC recharged......maybe never.......in close to 60 years.

13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The A/C is a SEALED system. It should NOT leak. If the refrigerant is low, there is a leak.
    It is THAT simple! That is how all A/C systems are. They are NOT designed to leak.
    So if your freon is low, you can't just "top it off". I most states, that is NOT legal.
    Find the leak, whether it's the compressor, "O" ring, or whatever. Eventually, they will all leak.
    Obviously, some go longer than others.
    If your car A/C is 2 or 3 years old and it's low on freon, find the leak!
    In Florida, and other hot humid states, the compressors run year round, so it's more likely they
    will fail sooner. It's not 100%, just higher averages.
    If ANY A?C system runs out of freon, and oil, if you run the compressor, it will burn up.
    Most if not all systems have low pressure switches that will no allow the compressor to come on if the
    system is too low, which protects the compressor.

Not just Toyota, but other brands have "lifetime" oils for transmission and power steering, etc.
    In Theory. In reality, nothing lasts forever. With cars, lifetime mean the life of the epa warranty.

14. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Yes they were intentionally designed the leak because of the materials they used to put the AC together. They all leak on purpose guarantee repeat business. Otherwise they would use hermetic compressor‘s instead of external clutch compressors with a shaft seal in multiple case housing sections that each individually have a seal or gasket at every section that is a potential small leak. They would’ve used metal lines with no gaskets are sealed all silver braised like a refrigerator. Because of efficiency and light weight they switched over to Aluminum Micro channel tubing what gets 1 million little tiny microscopic leaks that cannot be picked up by normal refrigerant leak detectors or soapy bubbles. So yes the answer is they were intentionally and purposely designed to leak by the materials used in construction. If they were really serious about making us find leaks they would force us to use Helium leak detectors then you would find the leaks.

Yes all cars nowadays do you have a low pressure switch is in there like the old idiot lights on the dashboard when your engine overheats it comes on sometimes it works in time and you don’t blow a head gasket sometimes you get lucky this is how air conditioning low pressure switch is work. By the time the pressure gets that low the oil has already left the compressor and gathered inside the evaporator super heating the compressor and operating it with lack of oil. Relying on pressure switch is to save an air-conditioning system is something that people who read too many books and know nothing about in the real world with no experience. It’s like relying on the government to save you in a natural disaster or a policeman to be there every time a mugger pulls a gun on you.

And yes nearly 100% of air-conditioning compressors will fail if they listen to the advice of somebody to allow them to run low continuously.
    But if an AC compressor never runs low and there’s no outside forces acting on it to cause a failure like a failed condenser fan allowing the high side pressure to go ridiculously high or a customer who allows it to run low on refrigerant so the compressor temperature internals can run ridiculously high with a lack of oil return then the compressors simply very rarely wear out they last longer than the cars. Unless they were General Motors compressor designs that over many generations and iterations and many modifications still commonly suffer from case seal leaks as they age. But even then sometimes the compressor doesn’t fail they get replaced because the seals on the case leak.

Exactly lifetime fluids “ In theory “ armchair engineers and marketing.

15. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I alway use mine on low continuously for higher FE so doing that will cause the compressor to blow and leak?

16. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Using it is good. All my cars from the early 80s. All over 300,k to 450,K ac never turn off. Usually on high. Same with my dads cars. Even old cars from the 50s and 60s still working fine.

17. Austin Longenecker

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually my biggest problem is the sound coming from the compressor. As has been stated. And shown on video. The unsteady air speed is only something I noticed along with it. I mean no disrespect but you are becoming a bit aggressive.

#17 Austin Longenecker, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is his normal mode of operation :cool:.

I have him in "ignore user" and am not missing much ;).

Makes reading Prius Chat a lot more pleasurable(y).

19. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Really ?
    Reference, please.
    Hint: I think not.

20. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Are you sure it is not the sound coming from the FAN motor ?
    It upsets me when someone who knows NOTHING pretends to know everything and leads unsuspecting people down the wrong path.
    And does it over and over and over.