1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unusual marks on the bottom of passenger doors?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dave out East, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Dave out East

Dave out East New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm thinking about buying a 2013 Prius, and it seems to be in good shape, and there aren't any accidents on record, but there are these unusual markings on the bottoms of the passenger doors that I haven't seen on other 2013s. I asked the dealer about them, and he said it was just wax residue.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm curious to hear what you think.

I'd include the link to the ad, but I'm too new to the forums to do so, so I've attached a picture here.

Appreciate your help!

Dave.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! i can't see anything.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it's wax residue, ask them to buff it off. ;)

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you referring to the rear doors? There's plastic appliqués, and a car that was rarely washed can have those looking pretty knackered around the edges.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see the plastic corner guard on the lower rear door corner, and it has collected considerable dirt or wax or other visible gunk along the edges. If not wax collected at the height change, then is it junk caught by the edge of the adhesive, or slightly underneath by some separation. This has been pictured on some previous cars as well.

Fix it with some combination of remove / clean / replace.

#5 fuzzy1, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  6. Dave out East

Dave out East New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone,

Really helpful comments. It's good to know this is common, and that the plastic corner guard is supposed to be there. I really don't know much about cars, so at first glance I thought it might be the product of a repair or something.

This is actually the first car we've ever bought, so I'm sure you'll understand when I say we're looking into every last thing.

In any case, we're going to check it out again today.

Wish us luck! And thanks again--

Dave.

7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    They are allegedly there to protect against paint chipping on some lower parts of the rear due to road debris. I believe Toyota's wind tunnel testing determined that they were needed. A quick, cheap fix on Toyota's part...

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A car that shows a lot of grunge there might have just recently had an intense cleaning, after previous neglect. Yeah look it over carefully, check under the bumpers, wheel wells, door sills, pop the hood, the seat tracks and bolts, pull out the underfloor tray in the hatch, if you can. If it's raining, see if water's beading.

9. Dave out East

Dave out East New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will do--thanks for the advice.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it a local car dave, purchased and driven?

11. Dave out East

Dave out East New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, that's a great question. The salesman, it seems, is being a bit elusive: he initially tried to pass it off as a single owner car purchased for personal use, but then we ran the carax and found out it was registered as a commercial vehicle with more than one owner (whether the ownership was transferred between his company and the owner himself, I'm not sure). Here's the thing, though: it was purchased locally and it was serviced by the dealer. My sense is that somebody drove the car hard for a year, but that otherwise the mileage is what you would expect from a 2013 (88,000 km total).

Right now I'm trying to figure out if it's a Prius One or Two, since was originally registered commercially. Apparently the One doesn't have cruise control? So I suppose I could check for that.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that sounds reasonable. are there uber drivers in your area?

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wouldn't buy a commercially registered vehicle.

The Electric Me likes this.
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    CC missing, it is a One. If present, I'd keep checking, as I'm not certain that fleet buyers couldn't customize their order and get some of the missing features of the Two.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Search for and download the sales brochure so you'll know what is and isn't included in the different trim levels.

Read through http://www.carbuyingtips.com.

Pink stains or crusty deposits around the hoses in the engine compartment point to leaking coolant. If you see it on the left side of the car it will be from the inverter or it's pump. If it is on the right side it is from the engine and radiator.

If it is a Two or higher it should have the retractable cover. If you don't see it, it could be stored under the deck. Floor mats are an accessory so they may or may not be included.

16. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I can't explain it, but I wouldn't either.

Also: tell me you're having it checked out by an independent Prius shop or similar.
    My lifetime up/down on this is:
    Spent $0-150 on each inspection
    I've probably done it about 10 times
    I've avoided one lemon and one nightmare, and one that was fine but had an underpowered motor.
    All of those under $1,500 to 4,000 in value so you may be in different risk category
    One semi-disaster made it through inspection and I bought it, should have known better given the shiftiness of the middleman.

Still, my lifetime net on inspections is absolutely in the positive.

You said you thought it was driven hard.
    Honestly, if you have doubts, would you rather have your mechanic discover these before or after the sale ?

Re: pricing:
    My long-time mechanic technically charges $50 for these, but I've always gotten them for free.
    For the Prius, I found a local Prius mechanic and his charge was $150 for the full rundown, including quality of the 12v battery and the traction as best can be assessed. Worth every penny.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any used car can have hidden, undetectable issues, I've resigned myself to buy new. Misguided DIY is a danger: wrong fluids in the wrong places, woefully neglected/abused brakes, butchered wiring, you name it.

Dealership service is a close second: countless owners when doing their first oil change find the oil filter housing screwed down like the hinges of hell, or even funnier: the filter missing. And Toyota's fragile engine underpanel half-broken, fasteners missing. And of course door hinges looking like an oil spill.

18. Dave out East

Dave out East New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All good thoughts--thanks for passing them along. I'm just curious here, but I noticed that you have Prius One--isn't that a fleet vehicle? I thought that the 2013 base model was a Prius Two. Also: are there actually independent "Prius shops" in the U.S.? We just have Toyota dealers here.

19. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Prius Three.

Yes. Mechanics that specialize in Prii.

You can take it to a rival Toyota dealership. At least one, but probably all dealerships in our town do used car checks. I think they're like $80 or something. You simply call the service department, and they set it up.

Dave out East likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you go to a competent mechanic with a specific problem, even then your odds of getting a good diagnosis and optimum solution are sketchy. When you roll in with mystery car and $80, there is no way carnac the all-seeing mechanic is going to be on duty, lol.