1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unusual nylon fastener under the hood

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by NewHybridOwner, Jan 23, 2019.

1. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There are supposed to be three unusual nylon fasteners that hold in place the plastic piece immediately under the front of the hood. Our 2015 Prius Four came with one that was unlike the other two, and the only way to remove it so I could remove the front bumper cover in order to install the fog lamps was to rip it out.

No doubt I could put in some other non-matching one, but I'd really prefer to put in the correct one if available without too much trouble -- and not pay an arm and a leg at a Toyota dealership.

I've looked on eBay and other places on line, and I took one of the other two out today and showed it to the guys at a NAPA store, and they looked through their Balkamp sample collection without finding a match.

Any ideas? A part number?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My favorite among all the Toyota styles that fit in a 7 mm hole are the 90467-07117. Toyota uses a wider variety of styles, but I just have a bag of the -07117 and whenever I pull a different 7 mm style out, one of those goes in.

I just find them easier to work with than the other styles, and consistency pleases me.

If the hole's a different size, I usually just look up the original part number in the diagrams if I need a replacement.

3. NewHybridOwner

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I looked for a parts diagram but without success. Where did you find one?

Update: I searched on eBay for just "Toyota 90467" (without the quote marks)
    and found pictures of 90467-07215, which look like the originals. Is that the right number?

#3 NewHybridOwner, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    parts.toyota.com, or pretty much any of the web sites of Toyota dealers who sell parts online.

You need a mind weirdly twisted in particular ways to be able to guess which drawing in which category is going to show the thing you're looking for, but I'm getting good enough I sometimes find it on the second or third try. Do it enough and the weird twistedness starts to come to you whether you want it or not.

CR94 likes this.
  5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I’m just disappointed that SimplePart (the company that grinds up the Electronic Parts Catalog published by Toyota in Japan to make the parts.toyota.com website) added their own set of categories, which you have to guess your way through to find the actual figures. Traditionally, the Toyota catalog has the figures grouped under only four main divisions, Tool/Engine/Fuel, Power Train/Chassis, Body, and Electrical.

6. NewHybridOwner

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I stopped by the nearby Toyota dealership and showed them one of the other fasteners. They did not find the exact same one, but they *gave* me one that fits just fine but has a slightly larger "head" -- and the movable center part has to be pried out rather than pushed in to remove the whole fastener.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring