1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unwanted Options. Subscription Radio and Such

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by RandomLurker, Mar 25, 2012.

1. RandomLurker

RandomLurker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure enough, I know there are folks who are gaga over what I am not. That's fine. But come on.

I keep looking at new cars and the big deal banner ad is for some kind of subscription radio service. Dude. I have CDs an MP3 player and even a smart phone that plays MP3s that I can make myself from CDs. I don't need to pay for radio. Most trips in the car are not even long enough to justify it and Howard Stern sucks anyway. All that radio junk is money for nothing to me. After the "free trial" is over, I'll just have useless left overs from those options. And again, CDs and MP3s. I've got a rack as tall as me full of them. I bet I can play more different songs than you hear on any radio station.

Oh and it's got blue tooth and it's ipod compatible. So what. I don't use either. I'm not looking to buy a car to match my phone and I'm sure not wanting to buy an ipod to match my car. My phone has a speaker phone on it and all sorts of hands free functions too. I don't need the car to do that. You wanna give me MP3 playability? Awesome. Lemme plug in the one I already have.

And nav. It's got nav. Again, so does my phone. Three different programs for it at that. And we have Tom Tom. I can also read a map.

It just seems like if the big selling point of the car is stuff that isn't car, the car must suck.

2. shrktank

shrktank New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mp3 player, CD player? what you need both for? i mean cant you just sing? Phone? what you need a fancy phone for.

I believe for some these options simplify their life. I find it nice to have the nav intergrated with a larger screen.

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How old are you, RL? Not very it seems.

I remember when I was quite young that a HEATER was an option on a new car back when my dad was looking at a new Studebaker in 1963. So was practically everything else.

Automakers derive profits from adding options just as movie theatres make more profit from selling concessions than they do from selling tickets.

The term automakers used to use when describing a top of the line model was "fully loaded". And that meant: AC, power windows, power steering, AM FM Cassette radio, etc.

Now they need to add the gimmicks you mentioned because all of the other stuff is now standard equipment and automakers have to add options that will eventually become standard equipment whether we like it or not.

And that's why the average new car costs $25K today.

I agree with you, completely. It's mostly unneeded fluff.

But as Walter Cronkite used to state at the end of the CBS Evening News, "that's the way it is."

4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Typical used car ad from the 60's: "...AT, PS, PB, R&H." That last item stands for "radio & heater"!

5. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's the way it will be, as long as people keep falling for it.

One of my favorite tricks is to tell a salesman that you will be replacing the word 'free' with 'included in the price whether I want it or not' in his sales patter. Watch his face after you do it a couple of times...

1 person likes this.
  6. RandomLurker

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Automakers are looking for the next big thing and what's popular that will get people in their cars.

What used to get them in were more important things like how well the car handles and how good a job it did doing what it's made for- being transportation.

I see car ads now that don't say a thing about performance. Nothing about how many forward gears it has or their ratio. No word on horsepower or turning radius. Hold on now. I didn't say every one or none. A few ads still do a good job at selling the car instead of the radio. Point is, the major emphasis now is on the superfluous.

Cars used to come with full size spare tires. I know. I was there, man. I was there. Now they come with satellite radio instead. What's going to get me down the road, a tire or a radio? Ever try to drive on a radio? Lousy handling. Those donut tires ain't much better. Oh but it saves money. Cow chips. Making a completely different wheel and tire saves money over just making or buying the wheel and tire they make or buy anyway? And if it does, what, a few bucks? Cars wouldn't cost thousands or even hundreds more if they still came with full size spares. And is integrated satellite radio with synchronized blue tooth and a navigation system that knows where every Starbucks is really less expensive than a full size spare? Come on now.

It's want over need. I need wheels. Seven light up cup holders won't get me to work on time.

7. RandomLurker

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And BINGO was his name-o!

8. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a time when you could go to a dealer and place an order for a car with very specific options. I never did. I just chose what was in the dealer's inventory.

My most recent new car purchase was a 2010 Nissan Versa hatchback. It took me a while to find one with the options and color I wanted after searching the local area. My Versa is pretty basic, it has AT, AC, PS and an AM FM CD radio - that's it. No power windows, no power locks, no unnecessary options - and that's the way I wanted it. But I did want cruise control but could not get it without getting all the other crap. I'll install an aftermarket cruise control kit after the warranty expires next year.

Buying a car isn't as simple as buying a cheeseburger. You just can't have it your way any more.

9. Retchiefmcl

Retchiefmcl New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    And if you want basic there are your feet or public transportation.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Used to be, if it kept the rain out and generally went where I pointed it, I was happy enough. Now, cars are more comfortable, and have more features, than many people's living rooms. I don't care for satellite radio, either. But I've gotten used to the heating feature, and sometimes the cooling comes in handy, too.

11. RandomLurker

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prime example- the options Toyota makes you take and pay for to get a sun roof on the Prius. Hmmm. I've got a jigsaw and some plexiglass in the garage...