1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UOA Used Oil Analysis

Discussion in 'The File Library' started by dcoyne78, Jan 23, 2007.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My friend call me up one day and tell me that he's getting "SuperTech full synthetic" oil at Walmart for real cheap, around $3/qt. Since Mobil 1 switch to group III formula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil) and at close to $6/qt., what the heck, I'll give this a try.

I have 1.5 qts of Mobil 1 left, added the extra 2 qt of SuperTech for the oil change at 55k miles. Then I read on the internet ( :D ) that mixing synthetic oil isn't a good idea. After a week of driving, I sent the sample in for testing just in case. Turns out to be ok. Will sample again in 5k miles.

Attached Files:

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Jul 1 2007, 06:37 AM) [snapback]470982[/snapback]</div>
    An update: After about 2300 miles with Mobil 1, there seems to be no fuel dilution or decrease in viscosity.
    This is the first analysis I've had done that didn't show a decrease in viscosity (even with only 1000 miles on the oil sample). I'm hoping (I'll maybe confirm at my next change at about 60000 miles) that whatever has been causing the dilution problem has been cleaned up by the Mobil 1. Contamination on the rings, intake valves, or whatever.

There weren't even any really long trips on this sample.

Any ideas?

Here's the report.

[attachmentid=11265]

In any case, I'll never go back to dino oil.

Dave M.

Attached Files:

3. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Sep 7 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]508629[/snapback]</div>
    Another piece of information. Here are the results of the analysis of Mobil 1 5W-30 right out of the bottle.
    It is 5W-30, not 15W-40 as indicated on the report.
    [attachmentid=11475]

I don't know whether or not I can really trust Western States viscosity information, since the new oil is indicated to have a viscosity of 20c and the prevoius sample with 2300 miles on it shows a viscosity of 40C.

Dave M.

Attached Files:

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    somehow, buying the cheapest oil and filters at wally world and then
    worrying about UOAs seems like the height of irony.
    _H*

5. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on what "cheap" oil really is. Could be decent stuff but without the branding, or it could be brewed from low-grade robusto beans and left on the warming plate for a few days too many. Either way I figure it's better that he analyze it than not.

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Sep 15 2007, 11:10 PM) [snapback]513184[/snapback]</div>
    Life is full of irony isn't it? :D

If the cheap wally world oil show the same/comparable result as the expensive Mobil 1, I don't see why not.

Oh, I'm using the OEM Toyota filter by the way. :)

7. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    First and second oil change results.

Note that I put in 5W20 Motorcraft oil. My engine seems to like the 5W20. B)

Attached Files:

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks Winston, I hope you have the opportunity to post more UOAs later. The Cu and Si should continue to decrease.

9. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    BTW. The oil filter is a Walmart Supertech filter. They are innexpensive, ($2.18) but are supposed to be very good filters. I have almost 4k miles on my latest oil(been putting in a lot of miles lately) and it looks brand new on the dipstick.

10. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is the UOA of the Walmart SuperTech synthetic 5W-30 mentioned above at 5k miles. Very nice wear results. Only negative is the viscosity is a bit lower than 5W30 grade. If I'm going to get the same brand, I might go with a lighter grade.

[attachmentid=12080]

Attached Files:

11. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here is my latest analysis. I think the results are excellent for 7700 miles. I think this Motorcraft oil is one of the best out there, and I was not let down with this extended interval. This oil is a true synthetic blend and it is less that $2 a quart.

Attached Files:

• UOA3.pdf
      File size:
      59.8 KB
      Views:
  12. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    M1 5W20, 4800 miles, TBN 4.1, PureOne filter. It was windy when sample was taken, so I noted that Si might be higher. Otherwise, everything looks good. Goal is to use this oil/filter combination till 10k miles. Will sample again and track the results.

Attached Files:

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Wow, that windy eh ScottY? Like grit blowing in your eyes?

Take a peak inside your airbox and make sure it's not dusty in there. Change the air filter early this time? Just a couple of random ideas.

Thanks for posting yet another UOA. We love 'em.

14. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    lol... not THAT windy. Actually, Blackstone said the Si is not even that high to worry about. And in a follow-up email, they said I can safely add 2k-3k on this oil, 4k if I'm feeling adventurous! lol. :eek: I think I'll sample again in 2.5k (7.5k on oil) to be safe.

I checked the air filter last time I change oil, it was still pretty clean. I'll check again. Thanks for the suggestions.

15. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    All of your numbers are still nice and low, but still your Fe and Al numbers are the highest you have ever seen on your engine. How old is your air filter? What kind of filter is it?

16. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Winston,
    The air filter I'm using is the OEM filter I bought from Jesse (MetroTPN.com). I changed it at before 60k mile service. You are correct that Fe and Al are the highest from my samples, but they are the same as the universal average. I'm not worry, but I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm still too lazy to peak in the air filter. Maybe will do it during lunch break tomorrow.

17. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Same oil and filter as this, sampled at 7369 miles. Wear metal Al was increased by 1ppm compared to last sample at 4800 miles. TBN is still pretty high at 3.8. Fuel % increased because I didn't drive long enough before sampling. Insolubles remained at 0.3%, meaning the original oil filter is still doing its job. Will sample again at 10k miles and change the oil+filter.

Attached Files:

18. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My latest analysis. While the wear metals are still nice and low (along with silicon). The TBN of 1.6 is too low for me. I dont think this oil is OK to consistantly go past 7.5k miles. I will change the current fill out at 30k miles (7.5k OCI). I will probabaly try something else because I would like to have a 10k OCI.

Attached Files:

• UOA4.pdf
      File size:
      89.4 KB
      Views:
  19. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Winston, you might want to look into using M1. Mine has TBN of 2.8 at 10k OCI. Attached is the result. Both Al and Fe increased by 1ppm compared to the sample at 7.4k miles.

Attached Files:

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ditto. Very stable out to 16,000 km or 12 months. Another option is Castrol Syntec 0W-30. This oil is Made In Germany, priced the same as the rest of the Syntec line. A very stout oil, meet ACEA A3, B3/B4

Some folks don't like it as they feel it is a "heavy" 30. You might lose 1-2 mpg