1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UOA Used Oil Analysis

Discussion in 'The File Library' started by dcoyne78, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am a bit torn now as to what to do. I am not a big M1 fan. All analysis show a lot of iron wear. I might try Pennzoil Platinum. Another issue is the fuel dilution problem. Some say that the various metals in my sample highlight the fuel dilution problem which could be causing sludge and varnish build up that does not show up in the UOA. There is an oil that is known to work very well to prevent issues from fuel dilution. "Renewable Lubes Inc" Biosyn oil. It is kind of expensive, but the Prius only uses 3.5 quarts so it is not that big of an issue. I don't want to use Castrol 0W30, too thick.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 is now in my 2001 Prius, with another driver in New Mexico. I hope to convince him to do the oil/filter/UOA somewhere in the 8 to 10k range. Will post here if it happens.

3. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's an updated spreadsheet with the UOAs posted since this thread started.

Attached Files:

4. uvm1969

uvm1969 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I recommend the Pennzoil Platinum 0W 20 synthetic oil. I think that Toyota is recommending a 0W 20 oil for all its new vehicles. It means less wear on start up, and I believe the Prius engines are so tightly engineered that the lighter weight oils are the way to go.

I have used it for a long time, and highly recommend it on the Prius.

5. PriusDiver

PriusDiver New Member

I thought I'd contribute my UOA. I have had 2 performed so far, the first was on Mobil-1 at ~6100 miles on the oil. The next (current) UOA was for Amsoil with 10,545 on the oil, TBN 5.4...I'll have the latest UOA for that oil fill in a week or so, I changed it out at ~14k miles. WIX air and oil filters, air filter went longer than it should have.

I changed the oil to have it coincide with the holiday season, as we are likely going to go with a 15k or 1-year oil change cycle...with it being around January 1, easy to keep track of.

Never attached a file, we'll see if I did it right.

Attached Files:

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I could not open the file above, but I am not at my home computer so maybe it will work for others. Anyway, thanks for posting these and I think the Prius UOA file has not been recompiled for a while. Or has it?

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have Adobe Acrobat Professional 9, and the file opened fine. I did receive a warning about "Insufficient data for an image" but the file did open

The metadata states the file was created with PDFpen, and that there is no security associated with the document.

What version of Acrobat Reader are you using? Whenever I post pdf's on this forum, I have to remind folks to make sure they are using Reader 9, or it will not open. Probably because I apply basic write protection to the file

8. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    See attached for my last UOA results.

Attached Files:

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Those are very good numbers

10. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My latest. As Blackstone noted, I went past the first recommendation of 8,000 miles. The numbers on my 7,400 test compared well to others posted here who had gone on to 10K so I figured I was fine to go to 10K as well. I changed it at 10,000 but never got around to mailing the sample in. I HAD planned to change it at another 10,000 but as I drive 2000+ miles per month, it got away from me in just a couple of weeks time. Glad to see everything was still OK at 11,600. They recommend going to 13,000 on this fill. That will almost take me to the 100,000 mile mark!

And the gas in the oil; yeah if it is related to idling in cold weather, I certainly have that. Idling, I HATE idling!!! And yes, I do shut off the heat at red lights (once the cabin has warmed up enough I won't fog the windows) so the ICE will shut down. Did I mention I HATE idling? ;)

Attached Files:

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bruce

Those are very good numbers. I think a lot of folks fail to realize in temps of -20 C and colder, certainly -40 C, it's rare for the Prius motor to automatically shut down at red lights. Even with a winter front

jay

jay

13. PAPARYNO

PAPARYNO New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just received my first oil analysis after 17800 miles. This was the first oil in the car after factory oil. Stop and go delivery usage @ 40% .

Will change at @15K next time and retest.
    Let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

14. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Shouldn't it be "TBN" instead of "TAN"

15. PAPARYNO

PAPARYNO New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i noticed the difference also..idk???

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm

TAN: Total Acid Number
    TBN: Total Base Number

You can think of the relationship of TAN:TBN as reciprocal. As TBN decreases, TAN increases

I'm a bit puzzled by that aspect of the oil sample report. If they really meant TAN, the oil is in good shape. Mostly, TBN is reported now

17. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here is my latest UOA from Blackstone. I did not do a UOA on the last couple changes. The car has 52,000 miles on it now. This oil was in the car about 6 months. I thought the TBN of 3.6 was pretty good until I saw that analysis on this thread with the 4.2 TBN at 11,600 miles. Anyway I am trying Castrol Edge in the car now. Probably run it to 12,000 to 13,000 miles.

As far as those TAN comments above, some people think the TAN is more important than the TBN, cause acid is really that bad thing, and you dont know for sure how bad it is with just a TBN.

Attached Files:

18. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is my latest for my Prius with 15k and almost full year on the oil and filter!!! Check it out. I thought they were going to tell me it was a big no no.. but to my suprise, they said to go to 17k!!!! Got to love Mobile 1 and factory oil filter. I'm also including my moms Camry oil change at 10k! That is pretty good for an engine that doesn't get a break like the Prius :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Paparyno, brave of you to go so long on your second OCI. TBN would have been more useful, I think! IMHO, the numbers look good, though the 100-degree viscosity is high if this is Mobil 1 0W-20. Was it 0W-30?

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had very good results with Mobil 1 0W-20 in my Prius.

When I tried Mobil 1 0W-20 in my FJ, nitration really spiked and the oil actually thickened to a 30 range