1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Up for a challenge?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by vikingrob, Mar 30, 2006.

1. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vikingrob @ Apr 28 2006, 04:17 AM) [snapback]246420[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting page, but it fails to address the key problem: there is *no way* every car owner could switch to biodiesel right now. It is simply totally impossible to produce the required amount. So, it is misleading to represent this as a valid answer available right now for environmental problems.

The text is wrong when it specifies that a diesel does not contain any spark plugs. It does, for starting the engine.

Also, living in a country where 60% of the cars drive on diesel, I can tell you that there is a a lot wrong with the "clean" image that is sold about diesels. A modern, new diesel is relatively clean indeed if used under ideal circumstances (warmed up engine, no abuse, etc...). Unfortunately, many people abuse their diesels, loading it too much when it's not warmed up and going to high in revs. The result is a dirty smoking engine after 2 years of usage that is totally unclean. Our roads are full of such dirty cars, including 2-3 years old VW TDI's.

Another comment: Americans seem to only know VW's TDI diesels. They used to be in the forefront a couple of years ago, but now they are not anymore. They missed the switch to common rail technology. They are switching right now, but years behind most other European manufacturers. And btw common rail is an invention by Italian Fiat, and they build their truly great JTD diesels around it. They license it to other manufacturers (such as Mercedes).

Don't get me wrong. I like diesels. Besides the prius, I also have a Volvo XC70 D5 diesel with 185hp, one of the finest diesels currently available on the market. At high speeds, this chunky car even outperforms the prius when it comes to fuel consumption (of course it outperforms it in every way when it comes to power). But the advanced hybrid technology in the prius is a major step forward in automobile industry, and unbeateabe for city driving. Now we only have to wait for a hybrid (bio)diesel car...

2. vikingrob

vikingrob New Member

Consideration is being given to setting up a group blog for this competition, for the participants to discuss what is going on with our cars. For those who participate, it should be an interesting experience.

3. vikingrob

vikingrob New Member

New tires are on the agenda very soon, see sig for details.

4. vikingrob

vikingrob New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vikingrob @ May 9 2006, 11:38 AM) [snapback]252184[/snapback]</div>
    New tires are on, and I am getting about a nice boost in MPG. May figures before and after:

Before: 1101.7 miles, 23.872 gallons = 46.15 mpg
    After: 3551.1 miles, 70.874 gallons = 50.10 mpg

5. vikingrob

vikingrob New Member

6. vikingrob

vikingrob New Member

Another ** BUMP **.

7. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Oooo.... I want the Audi A8 TDI. Now THERE'S a diesel car I could love!!! Too bad we don't get it in the States.