1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

update 2012 Prius v with better stereo

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Robert V. Adger-Barton, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Robert V. Adger-Barton

Robert V. Adger-Barton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    is anyone familiar with this: Amazon.com: 2012 Toyota Prius In-dash Vehicle DVD GPS Navigation Stereo SAT Sirius Ready Bluetooth Deck AV Receiver CD Player Stereo Astrium GEE-6675: Car Electronics

I have the 2012 Prius v, and it has the standard stereo with bluetooth & backup camera, but no GPS. This item says it's plug & play, but I would like to insure it will still work with my steering wheel answer/hangup button, and everything else.

Thoughts?

2. mandasol

mandasol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That unit is for the Prius hatchback, the head units in the Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) is a different design altogether, so wouldn't fit. If you compare the hatchback has a bezel that surrounds the head unit, as opposed to the v which has a full face and does not have the bezel.

3. Jeremy D

Jeremy D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can you say where you got the data from the Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) head unit to state that it would not fit? I have been looking for the dimensions and specs on the Prius v head unit and have not been able to find them. Probably looking in the wrong place, but none the less.

I am going to replace my head unit with a Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100) and replace the Bezel (plastic with buttons) with a custom. As far as I can tell, FIT wouldn't be an issue as they are both double din units. Problems would be wiring and a fit kit. But if the holes on the aftermarket unit and the Prius v line up then the only issue would be the wiring. That could be resolved with a custom wiring harness.

4. mandasol

mandasol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I've taken the whole head unit out to install the Navigation Speed Lock Override. While the actual back of the head unit may be sized similar to a double din unit, the whole thing is one piece from the head unit to all the surrounds with the buttons to the brackets that attach to the dash. There is not a separate bezel, and it doesn't seem to come apart as far as I can see. A head unit from a standard Prius won't fit. An aftermarket unit would likely only fit if you had a kit that would fill in all the surrounding space from the original head unit.

There are some good pictures in this thread regarding the nav override:
    First Navigation Speed Lock Override (from the PC shop) in a Prius v: SUCCESS! | PriusChat

Jeremy D likes this.
  5. Jeremy D

Jeremy D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info! I'll take a look at it now.