1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Update GPS

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Garbear, Jun 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Garbear

Garbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2013 Prius and want to update my gps. Is there any way to do it myself or is the dealer the only option?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer is the only legal option. Unfortunately for 2012-2015, the use of the flash-based (6.1" LCD) or hard drive based (7" LCD) meant that the dealer has the USB stick to upload the maps to the car so you have to leave the car at the dealer to update. The USB stick isn't for sale (after seeing all the counterfeit DVDs on sale on ebay, I can see why Toyota no longer releases the USB)

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dealer is the only way. But why bother if you have a cell phone?

4. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wholeheartedly support this. I use a (crippled) Garmin and my Note 5 to find locations and then enter them in the Prius, either by voice command or manually when we stop for fuel or something to eat. If it's last minute and close, I just switch to Bluetooth and listen to the phone instructions through the Prius speakers. Given how much the Prius nav system costs, it should come with free lifetime map updates. I'm not sure what the current cost is, but I believe a Garmin (or other standalone device) with lifetime map updates can be had for less than a single Prius map update.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dealers need love too. and money.

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Well, they should kiss my a$$ for my money...................

bisco likes this.
  7. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Really? There are people just like you and me who work at dealerships trying to make a living and support their families. If you don't want to do business there, fine, but there's no need to be nasty about it. :(

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. kenvandellen

kenvandellen GPKen

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My 2013 Prius 5 is my third Prius, and I would have opted out on the GPS (and the headlight washers, which I've never used) if I had had a choice, but I wanted the safety features the 5 offered. The map package in the car was NOT up to date. I've been directed to follow highways that were rerouted ten years earlier, and I make it a practice to phone restaurants and other businesses before driving to them after making several trips to some that were closed years before. I won't buy an upgrade from the dealer because of the outrageous price and no certainty that it will be any more accurate than what I have. Now I hear that you can't trust update packages from other sources, so I'm stuck with a unit that can't be trusted to give good directions, which is worse than none at all. I use my $125 Garmin with free updates when I travel to other states.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ditto, When I bought my 2010 I was swayed off buying the Nav system for that point alone. The exorbitant cost and updates were iffy at best. Same here I bought a top of the line Garmin in 2011 with lifetime updates and traffic, never ever regretted my decision.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. mrwzrd

mrwzrd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As much as I love the prius... the nav system is...how can I put this politely.... a POS? My Dodge truck has Garmin...love it. My Jeep has Lowrance...love it, my Ford model A has garmin..love it. the 2001 prius does not have nav...use a garmin..love it. My 2011 prius has the nav package... it sucks... (it's hilariously stupid) and finally my 2012 prius has nav and although much improved it still is suckish. Neither of the navs in the prius have been updated because of the update price. When the dealer told me the cost I explained I wanted a map update, not to replace the nav unit. When he clarified that the price was for the update I literally started laughing outloud. Only an idiot would pay that price. I have never paid over $100 for ANY GPS map update (and that includes aviation GPS updates)

Toyota should be ashamed...

Chinaberry likes this.
  11. PrimaryPriusPal

PrimaryPriusPal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is just what a dealer recommended I do! Use my cell Phone!

To "update" my 2012 Prius, it would have cost me $268.00 for the "update disc" (Which I later found does not exist.) AND a minimum $142.00 to install it.

My GPS decided on it's own to "avoid highways." So, every time I plan an extended trip, I MUST go to "options," and un-select "avoid highways."

IMHO, Toyota should have disclosed the fact that a GPS update would cost me more than a decent, brand new, in the box GPS with all the bells & whistles would.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is true of all nav systems I know of, except Tesla. When you buy the car you buy it with the map version included. The people that make the nav disks have nothing to do with Denso and they charge a lot for maps. All built-in nav vehicles have a hard drive or DVD drive just for the navigation maps. And only for nav maps in your region! Take your US car across an ocean and it won't have a clue where it is. Google is also special because they have made the huge investment in making and upkeeping their own maps. That's why a cell phone is a good idea with Google Maps, it is always up to date. You pay them by giving them data on where you're going, when, how often, routes, and live traffic flow data, etc.

13. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A