1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Update on Gen 3 issues

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by donzoh1, Aug 20, 2022.

1. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I saw some in the 300 range (I think aftermarket) and saw some dealer parts in the 1,000 range. Obviously, I'm not doing the dealer thing, assuming that price is correct. I think this part failed because of underlying misfire issues (as Chap said) and if the ICE is dialed in, it's not likely to fail again. It's true though that getting this part in and out is a mess so any new failure is going to be a problem, whether it's based on a defective replacement part or an OEM part that's destroyed by ongoing misfires.

2. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five

3. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I did replace plugs and coil packs although not sure those were really problematic. There was a code for the water pump and I'm thinking an overheat situation may have lead to misfire which led to input damper failure? Right now, it has no codes and I'm thinking it should be driven for a bit to make sure they don't come back before changing the damper. I don't want to change that if the underlying issue wasn't resolved. Would that damage anything or is it just noise that must be put up with.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wouldn't want to drive too far with a springless damper ... there will be very high instant torques involved every time those discs hit the ends of their travel, unsprung. :(

Somebody a few years ago made a "WTB" post with a picture of the damper you can still see the broken-off end of the transmission input shaft in. Ouch!

[​IMG]

On the other hand, you can maybe do a risk analysis involving how far you're planning to test drive it with an unsprung damper, compared to how far it was probably already driven that way before being brought to you.

5. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ooops!

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On the bright side, the clattering racket surely stopped at that point.

7. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, that would bring the clattering to a stop. I'm guessing the driver didn't see it as a comprehensive solution though.