1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Update software to fix USB/bluetooth issues

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by art0, Dec 4, 2015.

1. art0

art0 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2013 Prius that is still under warrenty. Listening to music and podcasts on my iPhone 4 worked fine via USB and Bluetooth, but I recently switched to an iPhone 6 and it doesn't work very well anymore. Music stops randomly (for instance when I turn on the headlights) and the playlists on the screen are not displayed properly.

My Toyota dealer checked everything out and says that I need a software update that would update the radio and GPS software. This is not covered under the warranty and will cost me $285 plus tax. They also don't have it in stock and it needs to be ordered.

Is it reasonable that this is not covered under warranty and that they charge this much? I see GPS update discs going on eBay for $50, but this apparently also involves the radio software.

I am disappointed that they would charge this much for a simple software update to fix something that stopped working while the car is still under warrenty. I also don't understand why they don't have this in stock as I would expect them to have the latest software discs laying around. Does anyone have any information about this?

Thank you,
    Arthur

redcoral likes this.
  2. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know if ETune and the radio software are the same. If it is, there is a way to update the entune software for free with a usb stick.

You can search the Toyota website, this forum or Google. I have seen it posted with full instructions with a recent update as of October/November 2015.

art0 likes this.
  3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    You will need to utilize your desktop computer or laptop and a blank USB 2.0 flash drive with a minimum storage capacity of 2GB to download the software update from the newly established Toyota Downloads site on Toyota.com,https://securedp.toyota.com/download-app/downloads. To assist with performing the software update, please refer to the Entune App Suite Download User Guide located within the site.

redcoral and art0 like this.
  4. art0

art0 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, thank you sillylilwabbit and mrbigh. I will try this.

I asked my Toyota dealer about this and they advised against it. The $285 that they were going to charge also includes a map update and they said that if I do this update myself I will prevent the system from being able to update the maps in the future.

Is there any truth to this?

5. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It sounds bogus, the Toyota provided Entune update doesn't have anything to do with the GPS by itself.

art0 likes this.
  6. art0

art0 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I called Toyota Customer Service and they confirmed that what the dealer claimed is untrue and I can do the update myself. Thank you.

Bmr4life and ftl like this.
  7. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Look at it this way, why would Toyota put it on their own website?

I smell BS at the stealership...

BTW, how do you when the salesman at the dealership is lying? Answer: his lips are moving... Haha

After you do the update, please let us know the Bluetooth is work with your iPhone 6.

I have the 6 plus which I assume is the same. I would some piece of mind when I get my car.

Thanks

art0 likes this.
  8. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's how I fixed mine:
    Go to the setup button on the radio> go to "Bluetooth"> go to device so> you'll see "Car-Multimedia" remove it. Turn off car and phone. Restart both car and phone. Go to Bluetooth setting on your phone and wait for "Car-Multimedia" to come up on the phone. When "Car-Multimedia" pares just choose it and you should be good to go.

9. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I could not remove "Car-Multimedia". You can go into the screen to backspace out "Car-Multimedia", but I can't press "OK" with nothing in there. Can you please show a photo of where/how you remove it?

10. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ^^^ When you get into the Bluetooth you'll see "Registered Devices"> touch "Registered Devices> you will then see all of the devices registered to the radio> at the right there is a "Remove" tab> touch "Remove"--- that will bring up the "Remove Devices" screen.

11. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Glad to hear you got the straight story from Toyota, and welcome to PriusChat, where you'll (almost) always get good advice.(y)

12. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    My 6S worked flawlessly from the first day I had the Entune update, and before too

13. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

... But are you on iOS 8 or 9?

I think 8, nobody had problems. It was when you do the ios 9 update that fooked everything up.

Edit: opps, 6s automatically came with ios9.

14. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually, 8 and up fooked everything up. Consider your 2013 Prius came out when iOS 6 & 7 were current and you can see why. My iPod Touch 4g unable to upgrade beyond 6 works flawlessly. My iPhone 4s, 5s, 6, 6s don't work well. Toyota seems to have no plans to support an OS that keeps changing every year.

Among other things, 8 moved podcasts to their own category that Entune cannot recognize, it used to be part of the music playlist. 9 makes audiobooks their own category? Upgrading Entune made it unstable so if I try to use Pandora after setting a navigation destination, the system reboots. If I do everything through bluetooth, everything works flawlessly. Which is how I do it currently but I lose a lot of functionality.

15. MartinWade

MartinWade New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So i just updated my dad's 2014 Prius V with Entune... waiting to see if it fixes the constant connects/disconnects with his iphone 6+.... however, I drive a 2013 Prius V withOUT Entune... just the basic radio. Is there a software update for that radio? I have the same issues with bluetooth. I tried installing the update just to see what would happen... nothing happens.

16. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see that the link is no longer active. Anyone have the current one?

r

17. DuaneHebert

DuaneHebert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is entune?

I have a 2012 Prius without the nav pak. After the last 10.3 IOS update my music works from my phone but only if I start it from the phone first. It doesn't give me a browse list as before. Also with other connections like google map or siri it acts like it's making a phone call. I've tried forgetting and reconnecting but it doesn't help. Is there someway to update the firmware for this? I've asked the mechanics at the dealer but they say that there are no updates available.

18. Gray Runner

Gray Runner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2014 Prius 3, my bluetooth stopped working the dealership was going to charge me $45 for the radio software update ( which I found out later was free)but it didn't fix the problem. They said I need to replace the Bluetooth box on the radio $900. I just use it for the hands free cell phone, basic phone. I just bought a $12 visor clip on. they said the radio/ communications is only warrantied for 90 days. I will not buy another toyota.

19. AJay

AJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Found this solution to my bluetooth issue!
    Thought I'd share so others don't have to go through the same ordeal as I did.
    Post #19 has all the details. I can't stress enough how crucial the criteria surrounding the USB is (MUST be 2gb-8gb, USB 2.0 not 3.0)
    My response is in post #21 (with a added info regarding version, phone model, and ios).
    2012 Prius v stuck in software update mode | PriusChat

20. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm having issues with my Entune or my head unit or something... All of a sudden the car stopped playing my iPod connected via the USB port. The USB port charges the iPod, iPhone, however when I try to update from 5.1 to 5.2 it does not recognize the USB port, the USB icon does not illuminate when anything is plugged into it, however, it charges anything plugged in. When I plug my iPhone in and activate the Entune App, the car will ask to connect for internet, I just don't understand whats going on.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks everyone.