1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UPDATE to Low Price Alternative to Prius Keys 2004 - 2009 years only

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ovni, May 17, 2013.

1. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Got a message about someone trying to program a "transponder" key they bought from someone on ebay after watching my video. They were not able to program it onto their car.
    The key I sell is NOT a regular toyota transponder chip you find for about $8 all over ebay. Usually labelled as 4C or 4D chip. The 04-09 will NOT recognize the encryption on those chips. 2001 to 2003 did use 4C chips.

2. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got my key yesterday! Thanks for the fast shipping ovni.
    Didn't have a chance to program it yet, hopefully later today.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. But can your key be stored under the car and not continue communicating with the rfid?

4. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The key does not transmit a signal. Can be stored anywhere.

5. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just programmed mine. The first attempt didn't go that well. I followed the steps and it went into program mode , but I held the key there for what seemed like about 5 min and it just kept flashing. It was hot, so I quit and went in for lunch. Then after lunch, I went through the steps again, and set a timer to see how long it would take. This time, it stopped flashing in :45 seconds.

There is a cut in your video while it runs, is there a set amount of time that it takes on average? Anyway, mine works now. I just gotta get it cut.

6. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Jefe... I posted info about time and proper programming technique on the ebay listing. You must of missed it because I didn't mention it in the video. I should make another video mentioning the extra steps.

I've had it take about 45 seconds to as long as 1:05. The video was cut short to cut back play time, also noted in the ebay listing.

7. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I totally missed that. Didn't read the ebay ad at all, just what you posted here. Not sure what went wrong the first time, it seemed like it was just going to keep going. No worries, it works now.
    The beauty of this key, is you don't really even have to hide it. The odds of someone figuring out how to use it in the key slot is pretty low. That said, I'll probably still hide it. ;)

8. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK.. update to my key. I took it to Lowe's at lunch to get it cut. The guy cut it for free, but said unequivocally that he was in no way responsible for the outcome. Right away he pointed out that the thickness of the key wasn't right. It didn't fit into the "Toyota" slot he had, though my original key did. I proceeded anyway.
    Unfortunately, the cut key doesn't work at all to unlock my door :(

9. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V

Weird...I cut keys here on a daily basis and never had an issue. Im surprised lowes even cut your key. They are not suppose to. Same policy for Home depot. According to a home depot employee....They don't do customers keys because they can't guarantee a good cut. The machines at my local HD is all automatic and I don't know if the blanks are custom made for it. ??

This is what aquajan said in this thread...
    "I'm not risking a $37 oopsie from the part-timer standing closest to the key machine at Home Depot/Lowes.
    I'll get it cut a locksmith shop."

10. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah.. probably good advice. The Lowe's machine was automatic as well. He put both in, and it went around. Not sure what went wrong.

The Lowe's employee said he would do it, but that the replacement key was $70. I told him I was certain he didn't have THIS replacement key.

I guess I should have found somewhere else, but I really didn't know of any locksmiths that cut keys nearby.

11. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Jefe, send me a private message and I'll get a blank key out to you. You can just transfer the chip onto it

jefe and dorunron like this.
  13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Now that is what I call "impressive service".

Ron

14. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V

He got screwed at Lowes, just trying to help him out. He got the new key I sent him. Hopefully he can take out the old chip and transfer it over. Jefe sent me a pic of the key he got cut. The key copy looks horrible!!

[​IMG]

15. david123456

david123456 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I received my key from Ovni today and programmed it successfully. I got it cut at Home Depot, and it works to open my door.

At first I thought the cut had failed as I couldn't open the door, but you have to find the "sweet spot" on the replacement key since it's different in size than the physical key from the fob. I pushed mine all the way in, then tried rotating it to unlock the door as I slowly pulled the key out. That technique will help you find the correct depth to push the key in.

16. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V

The key should go in and open the door smoothly. You shouldn't have to fiddle it around. Did HD use an automatic cutter? I cut all my keys with a manual cutter at my shop and all doors open with no issues. I also calibrate my cutter on a weekly basis. Who knows how often the HD or Lowes calibrates them. I suggest people go to a locksmith who uses a manual cutter. A locksmith can also tweak the machine during the cutting process to ensure a perfect copy.

17. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the cut job is quite a mangled mess. there are some peaks that get totally skipped over in the copy.
    Anyway, I'm very grateful to ovni for helping me out. I haven't made it over to a locksmith yet.
    I should have listened to AquaJan's advice.

18. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V

I've gotten so many request...I'll try the international shipping again. Hopefully ebay/paypal will protect me.

19. williamjacobs

williamjacobs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ovin's name on Ebay is ovinsf
    I'd give you his page but Priuschat doesn't trust me with hyperlinks yet.

Can you believe this guy?

Bought a transponder key and got a 2-1 LED error sequence.
    Possibly too many keys in register?

What does Ovin do?
    Suggests I mail in a working fob with the key and he'll copy the working fob's code over. Basically, clone the chip onto the transponder.

WORKED! Worked DANG well!
    This means I could have as many keys as I want coded to a single slot in the registry. That makes
    Ovin's keys BETTER than original equipment in one more way.

I mentioned my difficulty finding a key cutter and he cut the blank I bought from Ebay when he cut my transponder. Both keys open the driver's lock flawlessly.

Maybe I could be happier. If I think of a way, I'll tell you.
    Very likely I'll mail him the key he made another day and ask him to clone it again. Four keys should do the job and at his price point, the peace of mind is a pretty good deal.

ovni and krmcg like this.
  20. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the feedback William. The error could be two things. Car has all key slots full(5) or the immobilizer ECU senses low auxiliary voltage. I have seen both scenarios at my shop.