1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UPDATE to Low Price Alternative to Prius Keys 2004 - 2009 years only

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ovni, May 17, 2013.

1. James Luckett

James Luckett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Just received a $50 check from AAA reimbursing me for key replacement. I sent them my $39 Ebay invoice from purchase of the Ovni key and a $30 invoice from the dealer for trying to clear the key slots. The rule says you have to submit invoice(s) within 30 days, but even though mine were older than that, they still reimbursed me without any argument.

I had Ovni clone my key to the one OEM key I had, and that finally got it to work.

Meanwhile, my lost OEM key turned up. It still works, proving that the dealers attempt to clear the key slots did not work.

2. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    James... Thanks for updating us. The problem we encountered with your car is very rare.

3. Mellowman

Mellowman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I am happy to report that I am another happy ovni customer. I ordered my key through ebay, it arrived promptly. I watched the instruction video. Did the chicken dance, worked first time though I will admit that it seemed like I was holding the key in the slot for a long time to program. Then I went to a locksmith, ensured that he was cutting it manually, and $3 later I had a key that opened the car door and turned it on.

All as advertised. I still prefer having the smart key, but we only have one so this backup was necessary.

But I'm curious, this whole chicken dance, which I assume refers to the putting the key into the slot 5 times then opening/shutting door 6 times, how was this hack discovered? Is this a covert hack or does Toyota openly disclose this hack?

4. Susan R

Susan R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Before I realized a special key was being sold on eBay, I bought a blank transponder key from Toyota and tried to program it myself by following the video. Everything works as it should until the last step when the flashing light doesn't stop. It flashes quickly for the first 15 seconds or so and then goes to the normal pattern. Is the problem that I need to buy the special key from Ovni or that my key slots are full? Would Toyota be able to program the transponder key I already have? I recently purchased this used car and it came with only one fob, so I'd like to have a back-up.

5. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Susan R....I generate the encryption on the keys I sell. Toyota does NOT sell the key or will NOT be able to program a key like mine.

CatsAreGods likes this.
  6. Susan R

Susan R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Thanks for the clarification, Ovni. I'm just about to place my order!

7. Senzo

Senzo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All, I just wanted to contribute my positive experience as well.

....Bought the key on eBay and it came in 2 days because I'm also in California.
    ....Followed the instructions and tested it. My emergency key now works!

....Tried 4 times to get into Programming Mode.
    ....Successful on 4th try.

....Tried 2 times to hold the key and program the key.
    ....Successful on 2nd try.

TIPS I wanted to add to help future potential buyers.

[ 1 ] Activating Programming mode: Try to match the pace that Onvi is inserting the fob and opening and closing the door AS WELL AS removing the key fob out promptly after closing the door the 6th time. This may or may not have been the real reason to my success but I thought it was what I did differently from my previous attempts.

*After the 2nd attempt, I also drove the car battery back up to green bars.

[ 2 ]....Programming the new key:

Like Onvi mentions, if you find yourself holding for longer than 75 seconds, you really are wasting your time. Just try again. ( my first try I was holding it for 2+ mins ) The 2nd attempt from the beginning worked for me.

[ 3 ]....If an attempt fails, open the door again and lock and then unlock the car again to reset the car? I don't know if this really did any reseting but I did it just to be safe.

[ 4 .....For reference, I got the mechanical key cut for $3 at a local key store that has its own machine shop. Some locksmiths don't have their own machines so they might refer you to shops that can cut. Some shops were concerned/confused that I had the GenIII keys which need to be laser cut??? ( it's a different shape than the GenII )

Thanks Onvi and good luck to everyone else.

8. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got my OVNI key today and was able to get it programmed after a few false starts. Very happy with the price and the results.

First two times I didn't realize it took as long as it did to wait for programming to conclude. After reading through this thread a few times, I decided to wait it out and count as I did it. When it finally worked, I counted to 80 before the light went out. Afterwards, it tested out perfectly. Thanks Ovni.

9. Anthony D'Amico

Anthony D'Amico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I see this is an old threat but I've previously purchased a Prius transponder key and would like to purchase another one. Does Onvi still sell them? If not, is there any Toyota key that can be programmed to insert into SKS slot on a 2006 Prius?

10. SusanS

SusanS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don’t know for sure about ovni. He was a contributor to this website and I contacted him through here.