1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Updated: ABS Code 57 and 69

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tynyyn, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Tynyyn

Tynyyn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2005 Prius. Great car and wonderful gas mileage. Recently I've had a problem with trouble codes. I use my scan gauge to find the codes but nothing shows up. But the lights on the dash have appeared....Brake light, ((!)), and ABS. Perusing the search feature on Prius chat I found a thread related to this trouble code. It said the Coolant circulation pump for the hybrid battery was going bad. I replaced it, did the paperclip in the OBD2 port and tried to reset the codes. It didn't work. At the same time the cruise control would disengage whenever I depressed the brake pedal. Coming to a stop sign I'd depress the brake pedal and the dash board light for the cruise control would begin to flash. When I began moving the car up to speed the cruise control will not engage. I have to stop the car, turn the car off and then after getting back up to speed the cruise will engage. I then replaced the brake light switch. Nothing changed. And here very recently I've noticed the A/C symbol ont he dashboard is not working. The A/C blows cold air, but the light does not work. Are these light failures related? I then took the Prius to the dealership and they cleared the Brake light, ((!)), and ABS situation. But after traveling for about fifteen minutes I was braking for a traffic light and hit the brake pedal. The trouble code lights came back on. Could there be something wrong with my brake calipers or other components of the braking system? Could you direct me to where I should look to see if something is amiss in the braking system? Thank you.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh man, when you had that paperclip you were this close to finding out what your brake warning lights were about.

The whole purpose of that paperclip connection is to give the brake system a way to tell you the trouble codes, when you haven't got a scan tool handy, or the one you have doesn't work (as yours didn't).

You put the paperclip (or a short piece of wire) between those Tc and CG terminals, turn the car ON, and count the blinks of the dash warning lights. They make two-digit numbers that can be looked up in the repair manual (or posted here, where lots of them are familiar to us, or we can look them up).

For some reason, the interwebs are chock full of bad information that tells people about the paperclip business but only how to use it to clear codes, and not for its real purpose of finding out what the codes are. And month after month more people stumble onto the bad information and end up coming this close to knowing what their issue is, but only end up clearing the codes (or trying to), instead.

And of course clearing trouble codes before knowing what they are is nothing but a great way to slow down finding out what's wrong with the car. Pretty much puts it on hold until the next time the lights are back.

So if they're back now, and you can break out that paperclip again and, this time, post what codes you get, that will help a lot.

3. Tynyyn

Tynyyn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks for the reply!!! Nice to have folks who are unknown to you want to help out in a meaningful way. I appreciate the knowledge you've bestowed upon me. For what it is worth, I pulled the codes and found this: ((!)) 5769 ABS 4 Now I will try to find the codes in this website. Thanks again for the guidance.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The blink codes are all two digits, so "ABS 4" looks like a typo, or something missed in your notes.

ECB (that's the ((!)) light) 57 is trouble code C1256 for low pressure in the brake accumulator, and ECB 69 is C1391, indicating that the pressure is not holding up well over time. That's usually because of an internal leak: no brake fluid leaves the system, but it just keeps leaking from the pressurized parts back to the unpressurized reservoir, and the pump has to run more frequently to keep the pressure pumped up.

With C1256, you normally also hear the warning buzzer, because there's not the normal amount of pressure available for your braking.

This is not an uncommon pair of codes to have together, and generally the takeaway is the car's brake actuator is worn out and should be replaced.

#4 ChapmanF, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  5. Tynyyn

Tynyyn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

ABS code is 42

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Figures. That's the ABS code that means "hey, did you notice those ECB codes over there?".

7. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring