1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Updated: Silverstars blew... again (Replaced with Phillips X-Treme Power bulbs. See Pg 2)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They said up to 14 business days (which means 3 weeks). I ordered mine on the 24th of Sept, dispatched on the 25th and got it this past Monday (1st Oct).

2. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a night time picture. I left the camera in auto so the headlights look a bit brighter than they really are but you can see the coverage it gives you. That Accord at the end of the street is like.. 5 or 6 houses away. The car isn't exactly straight to the road that's why the garage to the left seems brighter. It's not actually pointing to the left lol.

Edit: The camera was placed in the middle of the car on the cowl at the base of the windshield.

[attachmentid=11899]

Attached Files:

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cool! My first reaction was where is your car? It didn't seem like you took it from the inside.... It looks like the source of the light is from the sky :). I can't wait to get my bulbs.

I asked a friend with a 05 Prius to do a comparison pics and video and he agreed.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Oct 9 2007, 12:41 PM) [snapback]523152[/snapback]</div>
    I'm very interested too.

Curious, does anyone know why the Philips X-Treme Power bulbs do not seem to be available from US or Canadian internet vendors? (I've searched a lot, and can only find UK vendors like PowerBulbs.com)

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Oct 9 2007, 09:41 AM) [snapback]523152[/snapback]</div>
    Oh I had an interior shot but it looked the same.. plus this looks better :p . Again, it's slightly dimmer than it looks. I think the camera over exaggerates the brightness (not sure how to paly around with the exposure) but it's definitely brighter than stock and definitely throws more light, farther down the road.

A word of caution . Check your headlight alignment BEFORE changing and then check it afterwards. I needed to adjust the left one up a bit and the right side down a bit.

As it stands, with just me in the car, the headlights point below the licence plate light (of a sedan)when you're stopped behind a car at a traffic light. With people in the back, the light shines just below the trunklid of a sedan. (Which oddly enough was how my low beams were aimed from the factory with just me onboard which meant I was blinding people when I was carrying passengers.... that was before I figured out how to adjust the headlight aim)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Oct 9 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]523155[/snapback]</div>
    No idea. They also have Osram bulbs that we don't get either.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Oct 9 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]523155[/snapback]</div>
    You can buy Philips Vision Plus here. I think X-Treme Power might be too new... eventually, it should be available here in US. It is DOT approved street legal so why not right?

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Oct 9 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]523225[/snapback]</div>
    I thought maybe I couldn't find it online domestically because it wasn't DOT approved street legal. But then I dropped by my local auto parts store -- Strauss f/k/a R&S Strauss -- and they had it for $49.99 + sales tax, and the packaging said it was DOT approved for street use.

How much did you pay at PowerBulbs.com after the coupon discount and the conversion to US Dollars?

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Oct 9 2007, 06:46 PM) [snapback]523334[/snapback]</div>
    Oh really! I ordered online without checking at R& Strauss. I got it for $46 shipped with a free bonus pair of turn signal. Of course no tax but the wait is killing me. :)

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Oct 9 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]523378[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. Sounds good. Was wondering how they handled the exchange rate/currency conversion --- sounds like they handled it fairly.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on your credit card company and how they do the conversion.

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 9 2007, 10:47 PM) [snapback]523403[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks TP. Useful info. Sounds like it would also be a good idea for overseas travellers to check their credit card companies' currency conversion/exchange rate policies beforehand.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    np. With our Canadian currency, it's ~ £1 = Cdn$2 right now so it's not too bad of a deal. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is to USD.

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 10 2007, 02:11 AM) [snapback]523473[/snapback]</div>
    I'm going to go for them. Many thanks for the tips. For $46 to $55 USD, and with the press and your reviews, the Philips X-Treme Power bulbs sound like one of the cheapest and best performance mods out there, even if the bulbs end up having the same short lifespan as the Silverstars.

I used to regret not getting HIDs, but now I'm reading other threads here about the costly (can be up to $1000 each fix) and seemingly inherent problems PriusChatters and Toyota itself are having with the HIDs.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    powerbulbs.com has a drop drown box to select USD. This way you can see it in USD.

Don't forget to use the 10% off coupon also. I checked my credit card and they charged $47 USD. I bought it for 22.5 GBP.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Oct 10 2007, 09:08 AM) [snapback]523637[/snapback]</div>
    np. There is a one year warranty though so if they blow out, hopefully they'll exchange it for us under warranty.

I was kinda in a rush to get the bulbs since, if you read the beginning of this thread, one Silverstar already blew out and the other is basically a ticking "bomb" so to speak so I could technically be without headlights (I do have the stock bulbs but one of them had a fingerprint mark on it so I wasn't about to put that in and risk having it blow up due to the oil on the bulb). I just based my purchase on the fact that it's AutoExpress' accessory of the year lol.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Oct 10 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]523660[/snapback]</div>
    Lucky for you guys. I only got the 10% off coupon in the mail with my bulbs for my next purchase.

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Oct 10 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]523660[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! The $7 or $8 saved over buying them live from Strauss is worth it to me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 10 2007, 04:20 PM) [snapback]523786[/snapback]</div>
    I think wiping the bulb with alcohol and letting it dry completely would remove all dangerous levels of body oils from the bulb and make it usable again. That's what I'm going to do with my stock bulbs after I have my mechanic install the X-Treme Power bulbs.

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Agreeing with Boo. Alcohol or similar solvent on a paper towel should make the bulb squeaky-clean.

A fingerprint etc. can char at the high surface temperature of the quartz glass envelope. Then you have uneven heat transfer leading to failure.

Always clean bulbs before install and handle the Qz glass part only with paper towel after cleaning.

18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering about the lifespan of the Philips X-Treme Power lamps as measured in hours for the low beam and high beam filaments. I went to Strauss Auto to see if the packaging said anything about this, but it didn't. I then searched the internet for an answer, and the only answer I found was powerbulbs.com's star rating of the lifespan of the lamps (it gave them 4 out of 5 stars --- but who knows what this means). I then went to the Philips website and posed the question to Philips via email. I'll post Philips' answer if I get one.

usbseawolf2000 - I noticed on another thread that your X-Treme Power bulbs arrived from powerbulbs.com :) , and that you were putting them in tonight. Love to hear and see your review!

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Boo,

thanks for asking them. Yeah I couldn't find anything about lifespan. Note that mine will probably burn out faster than yours or usbseawolf2000 cause I have them as DRLs. But I am very impressed with them so far cause this evening was an evening of pouring pouring rain (traffic was really bad cause people were taking it slow). Had a couple of incidents where the TRAC kicked in and ABS kicked in (Integritys are slowly wearing out now).

On two stretches of road with no lampposts and one stretch with pouring rain, these bulbs lit the road as well as any halogen can possibly dream of. I know the Silverstars would've been crap in these situations (they don't light the road if it's wet/damp for some reason) and the stock bulbs are dimmer than these.

Yes, even with the supposéd claim of extra light down the road, I still wish it had a bit more intensity further down the road in the wet. It's great in the dark and I can see far ahead but in the rain, I'd like just a bit more intensity farther down. This is probably the first disappointment so far with these bulbs but the fact that I can see in the rain vs. the Silverstars is already a plus in my book.

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Oct 18 2007, 12:05 AM) [snapback]527195[/snapback]</div>
    Well, Philips said it has the same quality as OEM so it may last the same as original halogen bulbs.

I only got time to install one. I finished the easier passenger side and had to go out for dinner. The instructions were straight on. I had trouble removing the rubber boot. I did not come off easily. As I pull, I saw the bulb wanting to come out which made me stopped. Now I can say, don't worry about it... just wiggle and pull it out. It was made to seal the water away so it is kind of tight.

There were also grease when I pulled it off the wire to the bulb. I assume it was there to prevent water corosion to the connector. Also the lever that keep the bulb in place.... you can see where it catches from looking through the headlamp from the front. That's how I remembered to put it back.

The difference between the two bulbs were clear. X-Treme Power projects more light not only further down the road, it illuminates more to the side as well. I was enjoying the extra light so much that I found myself staring at it.... I can get so used to it :D

The cut off line was now more notible with the X-Treme. When I stand infront of the car, the color difference and brightness were not that noticable on my jean. The color was noticably more white and brighter when I was behind a white van. I can't wait to put in the driver side bulb.

BTW, I didn't need to adjust the level the headlamp projects.