1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrade 2016 Prius base Entune to Navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by matthew042, Jun 15, 2020.

1. matthew042

matthew042 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I'm looking to upgrade my Prius's base Entune audio (6.1 in) to Entune Premium - non-JBL (7 in), and I'm wondering if this is worth tackling.

Reasons to not go aftermarket for me
    - The bigger higher definition screen is nicer with 7-in screen
    - Integration with upper auxiliary display with audio and speed limit read outs is nice.. This is currently unavailable for me with base audio. Will upgrading to premium system even add this? If so, a plus here.
    - Personally prefer the OEM fit and feel of headunit versus aftermarket.
    - Don't care about Satellite Radio so the deal with antenna replacement is not applicable to me

I noticed Infotainment offered an OEM solution, but quite cost-prohibitive. Ebay gives few appealing options at $200 price bracket.

Some of the threads mentioned a lack of GPS antenna when I do the swap. Can I address this by adding an external GPS antenna easily found on Amazon?

Is it possible in my situation to buy one off Ebay and do a plug/play swap? Thanks!

2. matthew042

matthew042 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Update: I ended up finding a headunit off of Ebay for ~$200 with Navigation and SD card built in. The headunit I got also came with XM radio which I didn't need (took it out). The headunit was an entire plug and play. Since my base Prius didn't come with antennas for XM or GPS, I got a cheap one off Amazon (search "GPS antenna fakra plug"). Took the plastic connector off with a tab, and inserted the antenna plug into headunit.

Everything works! I got the VIN from the Ebay listing to which the headunit belonged to, and Entune apps got activated and worked. And since my base model car doesn't have JBL, the unit I had to get should also not have JBL since the amplifiers are separated.

Total cost for this swap was headunit ($200) + GPS antenna ($10). The only downside was I was expecting the MID display next to the speedometer to also display GPS and radio functionalities, but looks like nothing comes up. But for $210, this was a very painless upgrade.

Rbjr, RobAustin, Panthers83 and 3 others like this.
  3. Panthers83

Panthers83 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Joined PriusChat because I'm going to do a radio install soon. I've love to see pics of the result of this install, especially since you added gps!

4. Rbjr

Rbjr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good Day Matthew042,

You are giving me hope to upgrade may 2018 Two headunit to add navigation also...
    Please Laugh...

I had some questions..

1.) As I search online... Do you have the part numbers for the entune premium 7in replacement head unit?
    I was guessing 86100-04191? or 86100-47562?

2.) What was the procedure to get the new unit working in the car? When did you need the VIN from ebay? Was there a procedure you did? Get a code from the Toyota Dealer?

Looking forward to getting on the road with Nav soon...

Take care,

5. Rbjr

Rbjr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, Got it working...

Selected a Entune from Ebay.. 86100 - 04161, I think the 86100 is for Nav, and the second number is for XM...
    Here are the backs of both new and stock units. I plugged the connectors into the same locations, only added the GPS antenna.
    IMG_20230313_152150845_HDR.jpg

I got a simple GPS Antenna from Amazon, 9$
    Fakra C Vehicle GPS Antenna,10-Feet Waterproof Active GPS Radio Antenna with Fakra Blue C Connector Compatible with Ford Dodge RAM GM Chevy Chevrolet GMC Jeep Cadillac BMW AudI Car Truck SUV Head Unit

Had to remove the antenna clip cover and just plug the bare antenna into the back of the Entune unit...

Try and plug into the GPS spot not the XB spot,
    Head Unit Back copy_zpsmvnwxdj5_aa909e0d4a0ca5e19397902bf4b8cc19e5000f46.jpg

And next...

Remove the old Unit...

I chose to disconnect the Cover Bezel to have more room to work...

Once the Radio was out... next install the GPS Antenna... I chose to put it under the Dash top cover, and mounted to the center,.. behind the display, so had to remove the Pillar covers, Dash Top, and the bezel for the center display..

I chose a flat surface, at a lower level than the mounting clips.. roughly above and behind the drive, park reverse indicator.
    IMG_20230313_154518109.jpg

After placing the gps where I thought it would work well, I routed the wire back to the pocket for the radio, transferred the mounting brackets, and plugged into the gps spot, not the XM,

or you will be sitting there wondering what is wrong when the GPS fill not initialize (about 5 minutes).. or just stuck on waiting to get time from GPS..
    IMG_20230313_161425583.jpg

Once it was in and working, just put it all together again..

Best of luck, and worth it,