1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrade audio on stock 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by masnager, May 18, 2012.

1. masnager

masnager New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 2007 Prius package 2. Stock audio system. I've had it for a a few days and realized the audio system sounds terrible. I just want better clarity when I play my music loud. Not super concerned about bass so I would rather not start with a sub. But I like a lot of treble and clarity. Should I get new speakers? Amp? By the way I am a complete newbie when it comes to audio so please make what you're saying easy to understand. Also, I am on a budget. Would like to spend under 200 if possible? I don't want to install it myself so also need to know how much installation is for all these things. Thanks!

2. akm3

akm3 First time Lebowski'er

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey I'm in the exact same boat (same model Prius)

I'm going to get new speakers (Probably JL audio, based on listening to them at the store)...although I'm concerned that the 'store' acoustics and the 'car' acoustics are so different that they won't sound the same.

The head unit is more tricky. You can get the fancy touchscreen navigation but I don't want to tempt thieves. A 'stealth' install sounds much more to my liking...I'd lose Nav but I have a smartphone. The stereo store (Car Toys) doesn't want to do this kind of install though.

I really don't want to figure it out myself.

Dilemmas.

Good luck! If you start by just replacing the speakers you will hear an improvement (probably, if you don't listen too loud) but your stock head unit (i.e. your current stereo) won't have the juice to really push them. Probably.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've heard the base stereo in 2nd gens (former coworker got a VERY stripped down used 2nd gen, was either an 07 or 08, no aux in, no SKS, base stereo, old low-res LCD,etc.) and I'd read all the bad things about its sound quality. I tried some tunes burned to an audio CD and didn't think it was that terrible. I've heard worse stock stereos.

If I were in your shoes, I'd do a stealth install like http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...alth-install-aftermarket-stereo-in-prius.html. No, I don't know anything about this other than seeing F8L's car. I've been the victim of a car stereo theft before in a previous and my Prius had been broken into before as well, so I too wouldn't want to attract thieves.

If there were no such thing as car stereo theft, I'd gladly spend the $ to upgrade a crap stereo.

1 person likes this.
  4. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought an '07 Prius about 6 weeks ago. 3 weeks ago I put in a nice pioneer 4400BH - about $330 . plus anoother $120 for assorted install parts including a metra ASWC bottn controller. It has bluetooth capability for both phone and audio and a direct connect ipod connection if you want. I found it made an amazing difference in audio quality. It's a double din touch screen. I recommend replacing the head unit first - you will likely be very satisfied at the improvement in sound quality - then decide if you really need to replace your speakers.

For under $200 you probably are not going to be able to get a radio that is worth replacing your existing Prius head unit - especially since installation is going to take up about $100 to $150 of that $200. If you've never installed your own radio before - trying it the first time on your Prius is probably not the way to go :( . Untill you can get to the $300 range and up (including install) I would recommend that you keep your existing radio since you don't have enough cash to replace it with anything better.

Fact is that prius radios are much harder to steal than other auto radios. You can't just snatch and grab it like many other car radios because it is held in by four screws. To get to those four screws you have to unbolt four 10mm bolts to get to the four screws. To get to the four bolts you have to rip apart at least three panels including the MFD - which is held on by another 2 bolts.

If you just used a crowbar you are going to destroy the entire radio and render it worthless. Smart thieves will avoid the prius radio because it takes too much time to remove - the same radio in another car can be snatched out with a U tool in 10 seconds and away you go - not the prius. Stupid thieves will simply fail in their attempt to remove the radio because it takes over 10 minutes to get the damn thing out and that's if you're ripping things apart. Few, if any, stupid thieves carry 10mm socket wrenches or want to take the time to use them.

5. Chiru

Chiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi dianeinreno,
    Can you post your process, components and any pcitures, so that we can follow it with little difficulty?

Do you have the JBL Nav? I am interested in seeing whether its possible to connect the VFD to the head unit for the sound on the Nav.
    Regards,
    Chiru

6. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did a search and within a few hours time obtained literally dozens of posts with complete pictures and I just followed that process. If you do a search as well you will find the same in this very sub-forum complete with step by step pictures. I have the non-JBL non-nav system but I understand that the install process is similar for either option.

Just do a search on this forum and you will find, as I did, all the instructions that you need. My reposting what I did would just be a duplication. I am extremely happy with the Pioneer that i installed The sound is vastly better without my having to replace speakers.

By the way... there has been an unfortunate rash of car break-ins in my apartment complex this past few weeks. :( The cars just several spaces away were broken into. They left my Prius, with the $400 radio, alone and I am guessing it is because of the difficulty level in removing the radio without destroying it.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yeah, as I posted before, car break-ins and stereo theft SUCKS! If such things didn't happen, I would've had no hesitation in upgrading the crap stereo system that was in my 350Z (which I ended up selling last year :/).

8. Chiru

Chiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your response. I was not able to find anything yet for the JBL/Nav. I already have a non-NAV DVD receiver (Pioneer). If I install it based on the info I could find so far, I would loose the audio for the factory NAV. In one of the posts (by USBWOLF), this part of the connection was left hanging.

I am looking for a setup where the MFD (with NAV) can still talk to aftermarket stereo installed so that the NAV spoken instructions are audible thru the system.

If you have seen any, please post the links and I will follow those. Appreciate your help and I will keep searching too.

- Chiru

9. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    None of the JBL w/NAV posts that I saw so far indicated that you would lose NAV audio through the aftermarket setup.

10. Chiru

Chiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Usbseawolf2000 said:
    (http://priuschat.com/threads/how-to-upgrade-head-unit-kenwood-excelon-dnx6960.76704/page-9#ixzz20KUSa8tg)
    With those 3 items (TYTO, ASWC, SCOSCHE TA2103B ), your head unit will be hooked up to the JBL amp and the speaker through the factory wiring.

You won't hear sound from the MFD when you press the buttons or using the touch screen. Therefore, your navigation audio guidance would not be heard on the speakers.

In order to hook up the sound from MFD to the head unit, I'll need to see the pictures of the connectors and harness. AV section from the repair manual should surely help you. Perhaps Metra 71-8113 is the R5 connector (page AV-36) equivalent to link the sound from MFD. I think pin 15, 17 and 20 of interest.

Also checked in the Crutchfield.com (for one of the radio receivers) – it shows a warning
    What you need to know:
    • Fold-down face receivers will not fit your vehicle. Please verify that your new receiver does not have a fold-down face.
    • You will need to use the factory stereo brackets in order to install your new receiver. If you do not have the brackets you will need to obtain them from the dealership.
    • If the factory radio is replaced, the factory AUX input connection will be lost.
    • If present, the factory navigation will still operate, but the voice guidance system will be lost.

11. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I searched around.... if you keep the factory radio (search for "stealth install" you do not lose the NAV functionality. You only lose that if you are going to do a Double DIN install and replace the factory radio. :( However since you wanted a cheap solution you're likely not going double DIN so do the stealth install which lets you keep and use both radios. The stealth install (search for it - there was a huge post detailing it in this forum couple months ago) uses two harnesses to splice into the existing harness but does not actually disconnect the existing wiring so your radio and NAV will work just fine.

12. Chiru

Chiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks so much, I have seen that before, but will go thru that thread from NAV point of view. Thanks again, I will post my findings or approach later.

13. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alternatively you could actually do a stealth install but I am guessing that this is more of a theoretical question for you than a practical one. I spent a week or so looking at the posts and then went and replaced the radio. It took about 45 mins of prep work (soldering wires) and less than 2 hours of actual install (mainly because I made a mistake with regard to the steering wheel control box and had to redo things.

I make enough money to get this done for me but I just find it fun sometimes to do it myself.

14. Chiru

Chiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [​IMG]

I have done some research on the stealth install and here is the summary of my observations:
    1. In the three threads I followed, none of them talked about JBL/Nav and Bluetooth combination. One of them talked about JBL, but he wanted to bypass that due to high cost of the PA TOY.
    2. The only difference in the single DIN install and double DIN is that you can retain the factory receiver in place with a single DIN (stealth install) and use two connectors to ensure AC works and MFD doesn’t complain. In case of double DIN you need to use a small (Ohms)resistor.
    3. I got one response from a person who has done the install using the stealth on the F8L’s thread. He confirms that the speaker connections are all on the new receiver (aftermarket) and none on the factory receiver and hence no voice guidance for NAV.

With all this, I know I am missing something. If you can provide me a link where the JBL/NAV combination is discussed or any other ideas, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chiru

Excerpt from the other thread:
    Although the old radio is still powered so the MFD won't complain, the wires going to the speakers are connected solely to the new radio. So you will lose NAV audio and built in bluetooth, but yes you can still get bluetooth through your new radio. If you want bluetooth and steering wheel controls, it looks like the JVC HDR71BT has both. The Axxess will work with it and the Prius

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/stealth-install-an-aftermarket-stereo-in-prius.38700/page-10#ixzz20YCRAR9H

[​IMG]

15. Piotr

Piotr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Everybody,

I am a happy owner of base 2008 Prius (non JBL).
    I just installed new speakers yesterday and amp. I used JL Audio C2-650 speakers in the front and left OEM in the rear doors. I'm not sure if I want to replace those, yet. Maybe later.
    Sound from JL speakers and OEM head unit was quite disappointing until I hooked up Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack Amplifier. Tweeters were clearly better but midrange was really awful.
    Installation was pretty easy overall and it took me about 3 hours total. The best part is that this amp does not require separate power from battery and fits behind the OEM radio. I set it up so it pushes 90W into 2 channels and those speakers sound amazing.
    Vocals are clean and crisp, not harsh at all. I often listen to NPR and spoken voice sounds very natural. Music is like night and day now.
    I set crossover to 80Hz so right now there is not much bass but I already have Pioneer TS-SWX251 10" shallow sub and Pioneer GM-D7500M mono amp ready to go.
    I can already tell that this sub is great because I had it for last couple of weeks in my Tacoma in place of 8" Bazooka. This sub really makes Bazooka sound like crap and is not much more expensive.
    I can't wait to get it done.

16. Cuandur

Cuandur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm considering upgrading my stereo to a DAB touchscreen but am unsure of details.

I have a standard JBL CD 6 CD changer with AM/FM stereo build in but I'm interested in "
    Hikity 10" Double Din Android Car Stereo with Wireless Apple CarPlay Touch Screen Android Car Radio with DAB/DAB+ Box Android Auto Sat Nav WiFi Bluetooth HiFi SWC RCA FM RDS Radio +AHD Reverse Camera"

I'm not sure if this will fit the cavity, also will it connect to the onscreen dash output screen and/or connect to the steeringwheel conections?

Would I need any adapters etc. Is my default stero single or double Din?

17. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I would research crutchfield.com and enter your car info. a10" screen might be made to fit but could blocks the lower cubby.
    a 6" screen fits as I have that installed in my 2008. My speakers sound great. NPR spoken word....news radio is what I mostly listen to.