1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrade kit needed for catalytic converter cover? Also, alarm?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Jenny867, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Jenny867

Jenny867 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi friends, Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

At the beginning of the pandemic, when lots of catalytic converter thefts started happening in my neighborhood, I came on this site and asked for advice. Per the advice I got, I bought a catalytic converter cover here:

CapCityMuffler.com

Thankful to report, that I have nothing to report.

On the nextdoor site for my neighborhood, there are have been lots of thefts reported. They happen in the middle of the day, in crowded areas. Things are that grim here in Los Angeles. (I keep all my documents on my person - not in the glove compartments, and I keep my glove compartments wide open to show there is nothing in there.)

Recently, my neighbors are recommending getting upgrades to their already existing covers, as well as specific alarms. Is this overboard? Would love to get your thoughts on this. Thank you in advance.

The site where I bought mine has an upgrade kit:

https://www.getcatsecurity.com/p-upgrade-kit-for-catalytic-converter-anti-theft-shield-2004-2009-toyota-prius-catscr2upgd

Here is the alarm my neighbors are recommending:

Racewill Catalytic Converter Anti Theft Alarm: Motion Alarms for Car Catalytic Convertidor, 113dB Super Loud and Waterproof (Upgrade)

on Amazon

#1 Jenny867, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't see the image or link for the alarm, try to copy-and-paste the image or link, or just enter the make/model.
    Depends, can you afford the 3k+ for a replacement cat, and supply chain issues that may be many months long for the replacement part.

Jenny867 likes this.
  3. Jenny867

Jenny867 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

4. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Jenny867 likes this.
  5. Jenny867

Jenny867 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How about something that totally prevents them for cutting where they're gonna cut Seems to me Rolls Royce would be welded-on steel bars arrayed around the cut zone, would thwart them. Maybe slip steel tubes over the bars before welding on too, to slow them down if they try to cut through all the bars.

45822477-E1CD-4ED5-942A-26BEEFB2AA0F.jpeg

Since I've zero welding skills, I've tried wrapping the cut-zone with chain, secured with every wrap or two with nut/bolt, the outer most ones with permanent thread-lock.

Maybe high-temp JB weld could sub, with the steel bar method? The bars could be something like 1/8" or 3/16" diameter, quite close together?

Or a similar welded wrap with expanded metal mesh?

#6 Mendel Leisk, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    Jenny867 likes this.
  7. Jenny867

Jenny867 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

----

Thank you, Mendel! This forum really does blow my mind. Did you draw that? Wow.

Anyway, for a simpleton such as myself, I am thinking I may stick the cover I have, since I'm not convinced that adding more would significantly protect me more. I wonder why the manufacturer didn't already include the "upgrade" in the first model. It sounds like I'm getting upsold, and if you remember my experience with the tire shops recently, I'm a little leery and weary.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    More on an expanded metal mesh option, at the cut zone. Make it long enough that it couldn’t be slid forward or aft, would bump into a bracket. If it even could be slid. Fasteners with oversized fender washers, and either bolts (with perm thread lock) or strong pop rivets. The outstanding flanges preferably small enough that the top half could fit round top of muffler without need to drop it.

C813AC0B-DFFB-46F0-89BF-BDB2EC738E2A.jpeg

I’ll take break, appreciate I’m drifting lol.

Jenny867 likes this.
  9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Whatever you put on there, secure it well. It's going to want to rattle.

Jenny867 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Jenny867

Jenny867 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe you have an idea for a business here! One that won't need an "update".

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Meh, business smarts, gumption, nerve, are not my strong suites, lol. But I do like spinning ideas; I try some of them.

Jenny867 likes this.