1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrade normal headlamp to HID HEADLAMP (with ballast)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mistah Ya, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Mistah Ya

Mistah Ya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I want to upgrade my headlamp and I've tried to mount my existing headlamp with ballast of HID, but the light only came on in high beam mode, not low beam.

pink with pink, black with white-black = high beam only (I want low beam as well)...

How can I mount my three cable color coded in blue, pink, white-black with the black and pink of the ballast. Please help show me the way to do it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I want to upgrade my headlamp and I've tried to mount my existing headlamp with ballast of HID, but the light only came on in high beam mode, not low beam.

Did you use an HID bulb with the HID ballast, or did you hook up an HID ballast to the existing incandescent bulb?

pink with pink, black with white-black = high beam only (I want low beam as well)...

The Gen. II Prius with HID headlights either moves the light mechanically or moves a little shade in front of the light mechanically. There is only one bulb and because it is an HID it cannot run brighter or dimmer.

How can I mount my three cable color coded in blue, pink, white-black with the black and pink of the ballast. Please help show me the way to do it.

The housing and the reflectors inside the housing are very tightly and carefully designed to work with a particular type of bulb. You can't swap incandescent bulbs into an HID housing, or HID bulbs into an incandescent housing because the bulbs are different. They will light, but the light will come out all wrong.

If you want to change over from incandescent to HID you need to change the entire headlight housing, not just the bulb. There is a little motor in there that changes the light from high to low. If you manage to squeeze an HID bulb into the existing fixture it will light, but it will not light the road at all well. It is also likely to blind oncoming traffic.

Start your project by finding an entire HID/Gen. II Prius headlight housing, swap the entire thing into your car. Then it will work well.

koolingit likes this.
  3. Mistah Ya

Mistah Ya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two