1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrade the side mirrors?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Dngrsone, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Underwhelmed, to say the least

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2016 Prius 2, and I'm thinking about upgrading the side-mirrors for blind-spot detection, et al.

Will those mirrors plug right in, or what other pieces will I need to get them working?

Rggaebssplyr and amos like this.
  2. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    It's more than just the mirrors though, and the blind spot warning indicator.

There's radar sensors in the rear sides of the bumpers that detect a vehicle's presence - I assume these are not the ultrasonic sensors, as they work for a much further distance. There is software to adjust the settings of the BSM in the car settings (so you'd need a firmware update of some kind for the car's ECU), there's also the wiring between the mirrors and sensors to the ECU (I doubt any of it is present).

alanclarkeau and Dngrsone like this.
  3. Dngrsone

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. I figured it was a long-shot... maybe I'll luck out and find a 4th gen mostly intact at a wrecking yard that I could strip.

Rggaebssplyr likes this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What country are you in? There are different specifications, depending on which one.

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The USA diagram shows:

upload_2020-4-25_23-12-32.png

Whether the ECU is the same, or the wiring bus - it seems like they could be some different ones, depending on whether it's Li-ION or NiMH. It also looks like there is a specific bus for models with Blind Spot Monitoring, or Clearance Sonar or TSS.

It might be easier to change cars.

6. Dngrsone

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, I'm in the US

Well, it was a thought. Got a really good deal on this model 2 used, and don't plan on trading it in until I wear it out... which won't take long: my work commute will have me doing close to 20k miles a years.

Rggaebssplyr likes this.