1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrade to Lithium Ion?

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by JasonScott, Jan 22, 2020.

1. JasonScott

JasonScott Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey, I plan on replacing my HV battery in my 2013 Prius C. Should I take the opportunity to replace it with a later version, such as a 2015 or 2016 HV replacement, which from my understanding is a lithium ion battery or stay consistent with the Nickel Metal Hydride?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Bad information. Only the larger liftback Prius was changed to li-ion chemistry in later years- and not even all variants of it.

The c kept its NiMH pack until they stopped importing the c last year. (The car is still being made and sold elsewhere, and still with the NiMH pack.)

For what it's worth, I'm anticipating that the c battery will get a lower price in a year or two. Once the fleet ages to the point where replacements are more common, part sales volume will go up. We're just at the start of the curve now; only the very oldest/most used and accident-damaged cars have needed replacements so far.

There is precedent- prices for the larger pack in the liftback model decreased after replacement demand rose.

dig4dirt, dubit and roadrunner like this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Upgrade is an enticing word.
    But I would replace with what it has.
    There is nothing wrong with a NiMH battery. It's tried, it's true, it's vetted.

It's NOT an upgrade if you throw a battery in, that the vehicle and software hasn't been designed to work with.

Also, why do you "plan" to replace the battery?
    Are you getting codes?
    Is it showing signs of failure?

There seems to be a conscious or subconscious desire of people to want to get ahead of the "pain" of Hybrid Battery replacement. But IMO, and it's just opinion, drive it until IT tells you it's time to replace.

If you have reached that point?
    I would recommend not "upgrading"---and just staying with what the vehicle was built with.

Simbaboy, roadrunner and davecook89t like this.
  4. JasonScott

JasonScott Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    QUOTE="The Electric Me, post: 2992587, member: 50927"]Upgrade is an enticing word.
    But I would replace with what it has.
    There is nothing wrong with a NiMH battery. It's tried, it's true, it's vetted.

It's NOT an upgrade if you throw a battery in, that the vehicle and software hasn't been designed to work with.

Also, why do you "plan" to replace the battery?
    Are you getting codes?
    Is it showing signs of failure?

There seems to be a conscious or subconscious desire of people to want to get ahead of the "pain" of Hybrid Battery replacement. But IMO, and it's just opinion, drive it until IT tells you it's time to replace.

If you have reached that point?
    I would recommend not "upgrading"---and just staying with what the vehicle was built with.[/QUOTE]

yeah, it’s showing signs of failing... I keep getting the P0A80 code and “weak block” info as well as a difference of 1.5v between them.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well in that case..my recommendation remains pretty much the same...I'd stick to NiMH. You just have far less time to think about it.

6. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You have no choice BUT to stay with NIMH. Lithium-Ion isn't an option for the C. Nor was the car designed for it. So if somehow you built a pack yourself and installed it, the pack would swell up and explode because it's being charged in a manner it was not designed. If you doubt that, buy a hobby charger, couple Lithium Cells and charge away on NIMH settings. We've done it at the RC flying field for "safety" sessions to visually show people the dangers of incorrect charging. It's quite the show!

Also - When that HV battery craps out. Don't go with one of those rebuilt batteries. All they do is swap out bad cells with another used cell. Search instead for a pack out of a wrecked vehicle, preferably on the newer side. If you can't find one, go with a genuine Toyota battery from the dealer. You'll get another good battery for years to come.

BUT - is your battery still in warranty? They have an 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you want lion, look around for aftermarket replacement batteries

8. JasonScott

JasonScott Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It’s a 2013 with 146k miles... so outside of warranty. I’ve found two potential HV batteries as replacements; (1) 2014/50k miles $725 and (2) 2016/50k miles $1100. Those are the total costs delivered.

which is the better option concerning the price?

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    How long do you plan to keep the car?

There's every reason to expect that 2014 battery to stay good for ~2 years and the 2016 for ~4 years. They may go longer still but I tend to make pessimistic estimates. Also, operating that car down on the Gulf coast means heat, which does the battery no favors at all.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if your 13 is already bad, i'd buy a new one

11. John in Vermont

John in Vermont Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It can't be done without also adapting all of the electronics associated with the battery, probably about half the car would have to be replaced by the time you got done.

12. Kevin Boulange

Kevin Boulange New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

13. Kevin Boulange

Kevin Boulange New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just bought a 2012 prius 3gen ..... there are lithium ion upgrades out there that have been road tested at 500000 mi cost is about $2200 plus shipping ....I don't see any literature on charging issues but seems like a lot of features on the plus side ie. 1/2 the weight, charges faster and dischages faster giving more power and even better gas milage, runs way cooler..... haven't heard from someone who actually has done this upgrade but would like to.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lots of reviews here for one, but it hasn't been tested for 500k miles. which one is that?