1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrade your spare tire jack!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by maestro8, Apr 25, 2012.

1. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the misfortune of running over some construction debris in a work zone last week. Flattened two tires, dented a rim, borked the front suspension, the whole nine yards. Not fun.

When changing one of the tires, I used the spare jack to raise the car. In all their zeal to save weight / cost, Toyota provided a jack handle that has all the strength of a wire coat hanger. I bent the handle before the car even got off the ground.

Even better, Toyota failed to provide a wheel chock. My car fell off the jack stand since the e-brake does nothing to hold the car when the rear tire's been flattened.

PLEASE take a lesson from my misfortune and restock your spare kit... throw in a pair of wheel chocks ($9 at Harbor Freight) and an upgraded jack handle ($5 at your local junk yard) so you don't get stuck in a bad spot.

In other news, Toyota wants $410 for a new steel wheel. I found one from a Toyota wrecker, reconditioned, for only $160.

So... who wants to help me fix my front end? :D

This'll be my first go with the string method (ex: http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15456). I'll take some pictures and put up a thread if folks are interested...

2. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i carry a full jack in the back of the car.. got rid of the scissor jack.. dont mind if it didn take 5-10 min to jack it up.. with my full jack.. less then a minute LOL