1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgraded to "Touring" Suspension

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Azipod, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just upgraded the suspension on my 2007 Base to the Touring suspension.

The result is well worth it. The vehicle feels more planted and more solid on the ground. During the curves is where the difference really comes in. The balance is a lot more neutral than the base suspension, and feels very composed under moderate spirited driving. Pushing it hard into the curves does yield leaning just like the Base suspension. The one thing that I don't mind, but some others might, is that the rear springs/shocks are noticeably stiffer than the Base model. This may result is light jarring when traveling on road joints and uneven pavement.

Overall, I think it is a must have upgrade. Btw, I am using the stock 15" wheels. I would think that further improvements can be gained from using the 16" Touring wheels. I didn't want to do this primarily based on costs, and the slight reduction of MPG (44 vs 42 as I am told).

Price? It's about $400 -- I bought all my pieces separately at different time periods so I'm going by memory.

https://www.toyotaoemparts.com/ offers 20% off list.

For the 2007+ Prius, you will need the front & rear anti-sway bars as well as the rear shocks and springs. (The front springs/shocks are the same between Touring & Base).

With all due respect to Juiced-Hybrid, I would not buy from them because their package for is $459 and claims to be a complete touring suspension upgrade. This is deceptive as their "kit" does not include the rear anti-sway bar.

2 people like this.
  2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Touring actually uses a softer spring rate (28.5N) to mitigate the stiffer suspension, so you really shouldn't feel a difference in roughness, at least I never did. The 2 mpg drop really depends on the driver. I get 52.4 mpg avg annually, and no I don't drive like a grandma either. That's better than some people's Gen IIIs! :D

Nice upgrade. What's next?

3. spacecruisers

spacecruisers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice! I'm looking to do this to my 08. Do you have the part numbers? Just want to make sure I get the right stuff :)

4. SnT08Prius

SnT08Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Touring rear parts:

1) Strut - 48530-49735
    2) Spring - 48231-47091
    3) Stabilizer Bar - 48812-47020

Front

1) Stabilizer Bar - 48811-47050

TheMole and spacecruisers like this.
  5. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I’m looking to do this as well. Looks like current pricing is $379 for everything in the rear