1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrades to pip base radio

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by benalexe, Oct 4, 2012.

1. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has anyone done any upgrades to the pip base radio? New speakers? New head unit? Anything? How much does it cost? The one that came with the car is not very good?

It seems totally possible to update the head unit as the car button does not show you anything that you can't see on the regular system monitor.

On the same note. Do you think entune will get better? Will they do any real and significant updates or will they just save that for the newer models?

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I do not know the why U want to change the stock radio with all its interactive functions....

3. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The sound is not great. Possibly just some new speKers Would do the trip.

Interactive functions don't work we'll. GPS is not good. Half the time the Bluetooth does not connect, Half the time the Internet does not connect.

Would be fantastic of entune had the waze app

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Speakers upgrade and a new power amplifier stage +an external sub-woofer will really do a change, head unit will not make a dent.
    I agree that the GPS could operate better but for the Internet connectivity, that's exclusively by your cell phone provider and signal distribution.
    I know that in Long Island, and some parts of the Town of Babylon, we do not have the greater cell service but we will have to live with it until further improvements.
    I never had problems with the Blue-Tooth and I pair constantly 2 phones, an iPhone 4S and a Galaxy III.

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Amp & Speakers. If you're having Bluetooth problems, upgrade your phone. But replacing the head unit will cost a lot and you'll trade the headaches you've got for a new set of problems.

6. wilsoncat

wilsoncat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    This is the one disappointment I have with the PiP. My 2010 III stereo was fantastic sounding and this thing just blows. Music is important on my car ride and it needs to sound good. I would love to hear what, if anything anyone has done to improve their sound.

7. MikeyF

MikeyF New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dropped about 800, new component speakers in the front, replaced the ones in the back added an am and a 10 inch sub in the trunk and the horrible stock system was fixed.

Rebound likes this.
  8. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Any difference in mileage? Are the components easy to replace (bolts/screws) or do you have to drill/cut?

9. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I may be a little off topic here but does the base GPS route around traffic? Does it use the xm traffic service or the internet?

Also any chance that Toyota will have a firmware upgrade that will improve the gps and apps? (I am still waiting for my USB dongle in the mail from Toyota)

10. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The base system uses your cell phone's data.

I think they will continue to improve on Entune's apps. The latest update is supposed to enable over-the-air updates. I'm guessing these guys (Open Table, Movietickets.com, etc) are paying Toyota to be included in Entune, maybe some kind of profit sharing agreement. So it would benefit Toyota to get these things in as many cars as possible. Additionally, if people are turned off by Entunes limited use, then it would also benefit Toyota to improve its own apps (gas prices, weather, etc).

Maybe a little optimistic, but Toyota likes money too and the Entune platform is added revenue stream, I think.

11. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i got my car aug 11th and have called them 3 times, still no USB update as of today! Going on 2 mts now since i got car, I want my iHeart radio!

Dan

12. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dan. I waited too so I downward the 2 files JT it on my owe memory stick and did the update last nit. Worked like a charm

13. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you explain what this means? or are these all typos?

thnx
    Dan

14. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry about the typos Dan. I did not want to wait anymore so I found the files that are on the entune memory stick on this forum. I downloaded the files, then I put them on a memory stick and did the upgrade, THat was Friday, of course today in the mail I got my memory stick from Toyota. Downloading the files and upgrading myself worked like a charm

15. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ok thanks for info....i never got my stick, and had my car 2 mts now makes me mad, and i have called them twice!

Ill get the files on here too.

thanks
    dan

16. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Where is the version # listed? I got my car 2 weeks ago, but it has been on the lot for months. Trying to figure out if I need to upgrade.

17. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you have Iheartradio app then you are fine. Mine does not so i need to update.

video of how to update
    Toyota posted a "how-to" video for the Entune update 2.1.0:

Dan

18. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Back to the original question. There are several posts in non-PiP PriusChat forums on "sound deadening" the car by removing the door panels and installing pieces of self-adhesive sound deadening material (either professional 'dynamat' or asphalt-based roofing repair rolls). I did this (using the roofing repair roll material) a few months ago and the result was dramatic.

While I was in there, I replaced the speakers. The rears are 6x6" and the fronts are 6x9". The original speakers are truly awful, and when you remove them you'll see why your sounds stinks. Good speakers are HEAVY on account of their quality magnets. These speakers are so light you'll almost think they installed "faux" cardboard speakers just to fill in the speaker cavities. I didn't install anything fancy...just some older Alpines I had from an earlier vehicle. WOW. 'Huge difference--although I'm sure my redneck sound dampening has something to do with that. Replacing those joke OEM speakers with just about anything should noticeably improve your sound.

I didn't change out the amp or any electronics...the existing electronics do just to fine to power the new speakers (this of course depends on what kind of 'music user' you are of course...I'm not after window-rattling bass response!)

This is a pretty easy DIY project for a weekend...the sound dampening did take awhile (snaking your hands/arms inside the door panel to apply the pieces, etc.), but the speaker switch doesn't take long at all. Crutchfield is a great place for car speakers since they include everything needed to mount the speaker for your particular vehicle. But from what I can see, a standard 6x6 for the rears and a standard 6x9 for the front can be simply switched in with no additional wiring/hardware.

19. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Speaker upgrades usually do make a big different in most OEM equipped cars. Can the speakers be replaced by removing a few bolts, or do you have to do some drilling/cutting?

20. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I tt my service dept and the front panels are held on by snap connectors. Schosche has a kit that has a tool that you can use to pry the panels off.