1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

upgrading 05 JBL with Navi need help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by osofast10, Oct 15, 2011.

1. osofast10

osofast10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey everyone,

i have an 05 prius with navi and 6dics cd changed and tape player

i want to basically upgrade the radio to a new all in one unit (navi/mp3/bluetooth/aux in)

i don't like the navi on the prius now, that is the main reason. Would i be able to follow the "How To: Upgrade Head Unit (Kenwood eXcelon DNX6960)" post on here to do it?

haven't really seen anyone update there headunit with a system that comes already with Navi. Any and all help would be great.

also would i be able to keep the the controls on the wheel or kiss those good bye when i get a new aftermarket headunit?

Thanks!

2. osofast10

osofast10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. 5prius5

5prius5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just replaced my OEM stereo in 05 Prius, non-nav, with Kenwood DNX6160 by following that guide. The instructions are very easy and clear to follow, plus I found F8L's videos on Youtube which really helped getting everything removed to install the HU. I would say go for it, either use Alpine or Kenwood unit with GPS, DVD and Bluetooth. I also integrated iPod with my unit and it works great.

4. osofast10

osofast10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i wonder if the wires will be any different because of the navi?

are you still able to use the controls on the wheel? at least for vol?

5. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm hoping someone answers you also. I have an 05 with jbl amp and navi and I'm pretty sure we need an expensive harness I found on Amazon and ebay. But I the instructions show what to buy for the non jbl system. I don't think there will be a male version to splice into the harness to power the stock radio, which is what I need to do to plug the ac harness back into the radio to power the steering wheel controls, I think. There is some resistor trick I need to do also.

6. techlife

techlife New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also have a 2005 Prius with Nav and JBL and I am doing the same thing and initially bought the wrong harness. So far I am seeing the only options as the PAC TATO or the Metra Tyto-01

I saw the post in the Gen III prius forums (cant post a link because I am new)

search:
    prius-iii-pac-tato-vs-metra-tyto-01-pac-sw1-ps-vs-metra-axxess.htm

However I am not sure if either will fit since I have a gen II prius. Any insight (no pun intended) would be greatly appreciated.

7. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just tried using the Metra 70-8113 for older toyota with jbl amp and it didn't work. I just ordered the Tyto-01. I just snapped the dash stuff back on without using the screws so I'll give it a shot when the correct harness comes in.