1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading a base Prius to the autodim and Homelink mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Sokoloff, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Sokoloff

Sokoloff New Member

I'm shopping for an '08 Prius Touring and all I want from package 3 is the mirror. Paying over $1000 to upgrade from HG (2) to HI (3) for just the mirror is a bit steep to me, but if I can get just the mirror for ~$250 and it's a 15 minute install, then I'm golden.

Is it as easy as R&R, or do I need to run wiring as well?

Thanks,
    --Jim

PS: I did search, and see others who've upgraded, but it wasn't clear how easy vs involved it was.

2. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It really is easy to do. If you opt for a mirror with Compass and Homelink you will have to connect 12 volts to the mirror through the supplied wiring harness but once again that is not hard to do.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can get the mirror from Gentex (who make pretty much all the auto-dimming mirrors for most cars).

There's a website... the address escapes me but it starts with "v" so I'm sure someone here will remember it. It has an installation guide with pictures so maybe you can judge for yourself whether you're willing to go ahead with the installation.

4. Sokoloff

Sokoloff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 5 2007, 10:52 PM) [snapback]535232[/snapback]</div>
    Awesome. "Gentex" was the key search term, and from that Google got me what I needed. The install seems no more difficult than the average head-unit install, so anyone considering it should find it either within their capabilities or within a $50-100 charge at a local car audio shop.

Thanks for "Gentex"!!