1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading audio system.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Dan Fox, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Dan Fox

Dan Fox New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all.
    So I have finally decided to trash the awful OEM stereo system.
    Proposed system is the following:

Aftermarket Head unit
    150w Butler tube amp powering PPI 3 way components (front doors / a pillars)
    70W ADS ps5 powering 2 6" Lanzar midbass drivers (rear doors)
    600w Diamond audio powering 1 10" Xtant sub in sealed enclosure
    Active crossover for all speakers.
    TOTAL 820 +_- WATTS max-
    Do you all think the electrical system my 05 will be able to handle this? BTW Optima yellow top Batt. already installed.
    If this is too much, I could omit the "70W ADS ps5 powering 2 6" Lanzar midbass drivers"

Thanks in advance :)

#1 Dan Fox, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    it should work, but in a small car it seems like overkill. most quality aftermarket headunits will power some decent door speakers as loud as you need, if your not trying to annoy other drivers or cause the whole car to rattle and sound like garbage. by the time you add the sub and some sound dampening material, it should sound great and be loud enough to pleasantly vibrate the rear view mirror.

3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Without draining the battery, the Prius inverter can provide about 800W of 12V power continuously, after subtracting power for running all of the ECUs, etc. As power amps are about 50% efficient (class AB), this means you can deliver about 400W RMS to your speakers continuously without draining the battery. Assuming 820 Max translates to 410W RMS, which is typical for high end gear, it shouldn't be a problem. Only time you would run into problems is if you were maxing out your power draw (e.g. driving in the rain with lights and wipers on, stereo at max volume without distorting, A/C at max, etc.). In that situation you would just need to turn down your stereo a couple of notches (could still be playing really loud, just a few notches down from maximum).

I agree that getting separate amplifiers for speakers isn't needed for most people, as when you use a subwoofer, you can take the bass out of the speakers and therefore you can drive the midranges "harder" (On a typical car audio install with a sub, the bass requires ~90% of the power). Instead of using an active crossover, you may consider going passive instead. On my system, I wired some capacitors in series with my speakers to roll off the bass starting at 90Hz, and then my sub is crossed at 80Hz. IIRC I used 220uF capacitors (there are easy to use online calculators, I bought my capacitors at parts express). Or you can get a headunit with a digital high pass crossover for the speakers and a low pass output for your sub. I think it's worth getting a sub, headunit, and new speakers first and see if you're satisfied. If you aren't, you can add the additional amps and crossovers.

4. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not sure if this helps but I'm running a RockFord Fosgate 1000w mono amp as well as the factory JBL amp

iPhone ?

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  5. Dan Fox

Dan Fox New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for the responses :)