1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading Base Model PIP; hybrid apps on base

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jermedic, Mar 22, 2012.

1. jermedic

jermedic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering if anyone has some input as to upgrading some features on the base model PIP...

1) I understand you may be able to obtain an aftermarket autodimming mirror with homelink

2) Leather upholstery

3) Aftermarket LED headlights to replace energy hungry halogens?

4) Ability to use hybrid apps on base model at some point in the future?

Thanks,
    Jer

2. conorearly

conorearly New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd also be curious to know if anyone has any plans to upgrade the audio in their base models. I had a 2009 package 5 before I got my PiP and can definitely hear a difference between the base's speakers and the 5's JBL system. Does anyone have an idea of how hard it would be to get the base's speakers up to the advance's specs (which means + 2 speakers and an amp, I believe)?

3. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No way, since the hybrid apps use the Safety Connect hardware (including a built-in cell phone). Unless Safety Connect can be installed later.

4. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I'm going to look to upgrade the audio system. I'm looking at new speakers, JBL MS-8, amp, and maybe a sub.

5. jermedic

jermedic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone think Safety Connect can be added on?

6. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I might be I interested in doing the same. Please report back what you find out when you check into the audio upgrades you mentioned.

7. stu lb

stu lb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you go to Mitocorp's website, you can order an autodimming w/ Homelink mirror: I haven't yet checked with the company to see if they are compatible with the PIP. I'll call tomorrow and find out, then post the answer.

8. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dianne at Carson Toyota arranged to have a Homelink mirror installed in my base PiP by the same folks who installed the leather.

9. vine

vine New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey... would it be possible for you to post a picture of the homelink mirror installed on the car? I just got mine yesterday and would really like to have homelink. I see that the mirror that I have is standalone on the car (ie there are no wires going into it). Is your autodimming as well? Is the leateher Katzkin? How much did the 2 cost you? These are the 2 items that I would like to add to the car.

10. Captain PIP

Captain PIP Piloti di Hybridi

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We added leather to the bad interior. Our dealer was able to find an aftermarket installer that did truly beautiful work.

11. ronlprius2

ronlprius2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is there a special Homelink mirror for the PiP or does any 2010-2012 version work? The wire channel from headliner to mirror looks a LOT different on the PiP than on the other models I saw in the showroom.

12. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's the homelink mirror I used:

http://www.amazon.com/Gentex-GENK41A-Auto-Dimming-Mirror-Homelink/dp/B002Z63H5M

You dont have to buy it from the dealer. You can also find used ones (or junkyard ones) on eBay. The wire channel is separate. Some vendors include it, some do not. But it can be purchased separately as well. If you do need to buy the wire channel separately, get the short one (the one that only goes up to 6", I think). Something to keep in mind re: the wire channel, I helped a friend install one on his 2011 Gen3 and his mirror needed the "skinny" wire channel (maybe 3/8-1/2" wide?). The mirror I got had a totally different wire channel that was maybe 3/4" wide and didnt look anything like any Gentex wire channel I've seen before. But my mirror came from a Hyundai Sonata, so maybe it was Hyundai specific, not sure.

There are installation instructions posted all over PC (but here it is anyway: http://toyotapart.com/PT374-47100.pdf

I followed the instructions on where to find the wires to tap for power (accessory power was from the side view mirror switch, constant 12V and ground were from the front map lights). Total install time was maybe 30 minutes. Others on the forum took it to a car stereo shop and had it done. You can also take a mirror to the dealer and ask them to install it, but the price would be much higher, from what I've read here.

1 person likes this.
  13. RolfS

RolfS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I made the homelink mirror as part of the deal for no additional charge. As far as I am concerned it should be a standard item for the base.

As far as I know it is the same one the advanced model comes with. The dealer said they ordered the Toyota part. Looks and functions exactly as described in my Prius manual.

14. goblue

goblue New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How much for the Homelink mirror and install at Carson? Thanks.

15. FM_SC

FM_SC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For those folks in the Los Angeles area, where can I get Katzkin leather installed on my base PIP? What is the best price you have seen?