1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading Entire Audio System 07 Non-JBL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Strikar, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Strikar

Strikar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello! I just wanted to start off and say I know very little about speaker compatibility and such things, so I needed your guys’ help. I was planning on taking everything to Best Buy and having them do the installation. I really don’t wanna look dumb if I’m missing something lol.

My car is a 2007 Prius, just the base model. I’m replacing the two tweeters, 4 door speakers, and I’m also adding a subwoofer (everything).

Things I have (but not installed):

Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Amazon)

Fits Toyota Prius 2004-2009 Single DIN Stereo Harness Radio Install Dash Kit (also from Amazon)

Kenwood CD-Receiver with USB Interface, KDC-BT330U (this was a gift from a friend, but it is unopened)

Things I have yet to buy but are in my shopping cart:

JBL S2-1024SS SERIES II 1000 WATTS 10" SELECTABLE 2 OR 4 OHM SUBWOOFER ENCLOSURE (Amazon)
    -Power Handling: Peak: 1000 watts RMS: 250 watts
    -Nominal Impedance: Single 2 or 4 ohm
    -Frequency Response: 30 ~ 175 Hz
    -Sensitivity: 92 dB
    -Dimensions (Approx): 22-1/2" W x 15-3/16" H x 12-7/16" D

JBL GT7-6C 6.5" 2-Way GT7-Series Component Speaker System-Set of 2 (2x for a total of 4, Amazon)
    -6.5" GT7 Series 2-Way Component Car Speakers
    -Power Handling: Peak: 300 watts per pair / RMS: 100 watts per pair
    -Polypropylene Plus One cone
    -Foam surround
    -1-3/16" PEI edge driven dome tweeter
    -Frequency Response50Hz – 20kHz
    -Power Handling (Peak)150W

Alpine SPS-110TW Type-S 1” silk dome tweeter set (Amazon) [Note: I’ve read somewhere that these fit perfectly into the existing tweeter housings but if there are better alternatives, please correct me]
    -Max RMS Power Capacity: 100W | Peak Power Capacity: 300W
    -1” pure silk dome tweeter diaphragm is designed for wide frequency range and high efficiency, while never sounding harsh or shrill.
    -Type-S Component tweeters come with a 15-degree swivel flush cup mount and and stealth OEM mount for easy integration into any car. Plus, at only ¾” deep (flush mount), they will fit virtually anywhere.

BOSS Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Wiring Kit (Amazon)

Things I think I probably need:
    Some sort of amp (recommendations please!)

Again, I’m not doing any of the wiring since I really have absolutely no clue how to do it and I don’t wanna mess up and blow a speaker. I don’t know what type of amplifier I should get if I wanna have a good sounding system. My cart is at $322ish and I can dish out about $200-400 comfortably. I just don’t want to spend too much since one day I know the hybrid battery is gonna kick the bucket and I’m not rich. Let me know if I’m missing anything (probably am), and also what type of amp I should get or if I should change out my current setup. Thank you!

2. wanderso

wanderso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wired a Pioneer AVH-1440NEX in my 2006 Prius this last weekend (8/4/18). I also kept the steering wheel controls fully operational. Note - I have the non-navigation, low res MFD, non JBL amp Prius (base) version, like yours.

Parts list:

Pioneer AVH-1440NEX (Apple CarPlay, HD radio, DVD). $260 from Fry's Electronics

Amazon
    Metra 95-8240B stereo dash kit $21
    Metra 79-1761 wiring harness $2.88
    Metra Axxess ASWC-1 universal steering wheel interface $44.99

$308 total

Car Toys (retail chain) wanted over $600 to do this same setup, including installation. I've installed a lot of aftermarket systems over the years but found that this is not for the faint at heart on the Prius. The dash vents are brittle. I babied them and removed in the correct manner and still ended up cracking the one that has the parking brake switch when reinstalling it.

The stereo dash kit above included the resistor that I wired between pin 10 (white) and pin 9 (pink) to allow the climate controls to work.

The steering wheel controls connects to pin 8 (white) and pin 7 (black). Pin 6 (red) connects to a chassis ground. Yep, it freaked me out to connect a red wire to a chassis ground, but it is correct for my setup. Powered up the Axxess device, connected to my Pioneer deck cycled it through an auto-detect mode.

I installed the hands free microphone just to the left of the windshield's rear view mirror, routing the wire inside the A pillar cover and behind the dash panel. USB and an AV cable I routed to the glove box.

The setup works very well.

Speakers and an Amp may be in my future, but I decided to start with this first.

iPhone ?

3. bl817

bl817 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_151OE65CT/PowerBass-OE65C-TY.html?tp=47095
    put those in front doors, wired up to factory harness, no cutting, sound great!

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1131666S/Kenwood-KFC-1666S.html?tp=105
    put those in rear doors, came with harness adaptors and sound great!

I have a double din pioneer dvd head unit with Bluetooth and all the bells and whistles and enough power for the aftermarket speakers mentioned above. I boxed a couple of 8" MB Quart subs and installed them in the tray above the spare tire, mounted a small RF amp above the 12v battery. car sounds amazing and upon a glance still looks relatively stock. I will say that if in the future you do plan to add a rear/backup cam or another amp or 2 depending on how many RCA outs your head unit has, have all those wires installed or plugged into the back of the head unit and then tucked away in the glove box or behind, labeled for future use along with a length of remote turn on wire, that way you don't have to tear the dash apart again to get to the back of the radio. if your semi handy or wouldn't think twice about fixing a dryer or changing your own spark plugs, this job isn't that difficult, all you need is some patience, some butt connectors, pop rivet gun and a drill and drill bits and you can knock it out in a day for sure. side note, i didn't care about the steering wheel controls and really dont miss them, you will need the resistor to get the ac to work. not sure if the steering wheel control adaptor lets the lights work also but mine haven't since ive had an aftermarket head unit. hope this helps, good luck!

4. wanderso

wanderso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Good suggestions on the speakers. Yes the steering wheel adapter does let the lights still work, at least in my case.

iPhone ?