1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading factory halogen headlights to factory led?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by mntnbnjo, May 9, 2019.

1. mntnbnjo

mntnbnjo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have a Prius v Two and have had terrible luck with headlight bulbs. I'm on my second set this year. It doesn't seem to matter if I buy cheap bulbs or expensive, they only last a few months. I have a friend a Prius that has had similar issues. I'd like to replace the entire headlamp assembly and replace it with a factory led assembly. Is this possible and if I were to find the assemblies, would I have all of the features available such as auto-leveling?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    LED assemblies and ballasts required. No idea on how plug and play are the lamp assemblies and wiring harnesses.

No to auto-leveling, which is via a chassis rake angle sensor located between chassis and rear axle beam. Wiring harness for that may or may not be present.

3. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The engine compartment wiring harness is different for the Prius v Five with LED headlights. The floor harness that has the connector for the height control sensor on the rear suspension for the auto leveling LED headlights is also different. The height sensor alone has a retail price of $410. The auto leveling control assembly (ECU) has a retail price of $274.

If you are burning through headlight bulbs, try using the exact same bulbs that were installed at the factory. Stay away from the supposedly miracle bulbs like Sylvania Silverstar that have short lives.

When installing halogen headlight bulbs take great care to not touch the glass globes with bare skin. If you do inadvertently touch a bulb globe with skin, clean it with a soft lint free cloth and denatured alcohol.

Air_Boss likes this.
  4. mntnbnjo

mntnbnjo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info! I asked at my last oil change and was told that the Toyota OEM are rebranded Silverstar but the Silverstars I put in lasted just over a month. Guess I’ll buy some OEM from the dealer and see if I have better luck.

Mendel Leisk likes this.