1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading from DisplayAudio unit to JBL Premium System

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by iamdigitalman, Jun 13, 2019.

1. iamdigitalman

iamdigitalman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi guys,

Recently got a 2012 Prius V 5 without ATP, and the only thing I’d really want out of that package is the bigger screen head unit. Mine came with the one numbered 57011, so it’s got XM and HD Radio.

I know people on here are saying a third party unit will make you loose a lot of functionality, but would the JBL unit be plug and play? It’s model number is E7034, with the HDD and bigger screen that flips up. I compared pictures of both units, and the plugs look to be the same on both, but I know the E7034 is designed to work with the JBL amp and speakers.

I’ve been having issues with my system, like randomly playing songs even though that option is off, a 2 second lag over Bluetooth, not displaying proper album artwork or any at all, etc. I did update my units software from 2.1.0 to the latest 5.2.0 I found a link to. It improved the speed of the system, but not much else.

is the other unit any better? I want to know before I drop the $400 or so I have been seeing on eBay. Hopefully it’s just a drop in replacement.

2. GregPL

GregPL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think this is going to be plug-and-play upgrade. JBL sound system has separate amplifier, different speakers impedance, backup camera input via GVIF (generated by Intelligent Park Assist ECU), different plugs... but "impossible is nothing" ;)

3. iamdigitalman

iamdigitalman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, crap. I looked at pics of the back of each head unit, and I swear the plugs look identical. Oh well.

One thing I’ve been seeing recently is CarPlay adapters. I wonder if it can be done to the stock head unit, since there is a USB port and most of these adapters plug in that way. Or they use a composite input; would it be possible to add one to the unit?

The only reason I want to keep it now, is because I see how tied in it is to the vehicle functions. Like all the settings for the car like the auto lock and unlock, that’s all done thru the radio. We don’t have it built into the cluster like the regular 3rd gen, but I think the 2015-2017 V does, I test drove a 2016 and the cluster was different, including the steering wheel button layout. Would adding a head unit with CarPlay be able to retain these functions? I’ve seen you can access gauges for the car. Another thing is the trip info screen/energy monitor. That’s only in there. Idk if there’s a application that works like that on these aftermarket ones. I know you can put the mpg/range up in the cluster, but I like having the trip info screen up most of the time, with the display in the cluster on mpg.