1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading stereo in my 2004 Prius - Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by zimblon33, Nov 22, 2017.

1. zimblon33

zimblon33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

I just bought a used 2004 Prius and am about to replace the stock radio. I have an existing Sony MEX-XB100BT radio that I'm looking to put in there.

So I just bought these two on Amazon in advance:

Metra 99-8213 Single DIN Installation Kit for 2004-2009 Toyota Prius Vehicles

Scosche TA02B Wire Harness to Connect An Aftermarket Stereo Receiver for Select 1987-Up Toyota Vehicles

I already have the harness coming out of the Sony car stereo, and I believe the harnesses above should plug into the existing Toyota plugs to allow me to make the proper connections. I wanted to ping the community here to see if there might be any other pieces I might need? Or anything else to be concerned with? I'm not 100% sure what is in my 2004 Prius already, I am seeing there are door speakers and rear speakers, and what looks to be some mids or tweeters on the upper left/right portion of the dash. Should those just connect inline with the harnesses as well or will I need to do some surgery to get those connected?

Thanks in advance for any info!

2. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    An 04 Base has 6 speakers--a 6.5" at lower-front of each of the 4 doors and a tweeter at top-front of only the front 2 doors. If that's what you have, then the Scosche harness is correct (but you will need to add a 68 ohm resistor to the keep the MFD working.)
    If you have the premium (JBL) audio, there are 9 speakers--you will have additional tweeters in the top-front of the back doors, a center speaker in the dash behind the MFD (hybrid screen), and an amp under the passenger front seat. (The front door tweeters will also have "JBL" on them.) If that's what you have, then that is the wrong Scosche wiring adapter. Scosche
    If there are other speakers, then someone has added them and you will need to trace wires.

3. zimblon33

zimblon33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks ITBland!

I went ahead and installed, and everything is working great. The only hitch to the whole thing was the Metra dash kit, the thing did not fit in properly at all. The bottom portion of the faceplate that presses in has gaps on the top, which in turn pushed it down quite a bit further. This prevented the tinted lower door from closing (it was hitting the bottom lip of the Metra kit). I had to take the whole Metra plate to a bench grinder and grind nearly 1/4" off the entire bottom (image below). Kind of ridiculous but I didn't want to order something else/new and just decided it didn't matter all that much in the long run if there is a gap. Also when I took the plate off to try to grind the bottom portion, three of the Metra clips broke off immediately. Definitely would not recommend this kit! At any rate, the wiring harness worked flawlessly and I'm jamming out without any issues.

[​IMG]

Deft Jef likes this.