1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading Stereo

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by ajpn, Apr 24, 2017.

1. ajpn

ajpn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have the premium version of the Prime and I am curious if anyone else has upgraded the stereo system... in particular the rear speakers which I have come to realize are pretty much junk. At first I was considering just doing those, but after a couple of months I am beginning to think all (or most) of the speakers should be upgraded and possibly adding another amp. Anyone have any experience with doing this?

2. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    the first thing you need to do is brush all that snow off your car:p

3. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Seems like any good custom automotive audio shop could show you a photo gallery of their other builds and give some prices and choices to convert to the sound venue of your choice.

4. Piwacet

Piwacet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you do, I'd appreciate it if you let us know how it goes. I also have the premium. I do love this car, but the stereo is one of my two main complaints about the car. Sound is of course subjective for all of us, but I actually feel that the stock stereo in my 1996 Honda Civic dx sounded better... (my other gripe is lack of android auto).

5. ajpn

ajpn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm with you. I'm definitely going to do it. I'll keep you posted.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. zackv23

zackv23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to get the most bang for your $ start with the front not the back. I swapped my dash 3 1/2 inch speaker for a pair of JL Audio C2 coaxial. I went with the C2's because the are very efficient and sound very good off the stock amp. The rear speaker's could be unplugged if you don't have many passengers. Every amp draws power from it's own "pool" if you add some low RMS tweets it will sound better. if you unplug the rear's it will sound better. beyond that you will want clean up the signals with a summing unit for stock if you want sound Q. If you want bass add a sub and amp. wire it offer the rear speakers, don't use a LOC. it's a cleaner signal without one. if you want to upgrade stock speakers beyond a pair of tweets. you will want pick a system that can easily transfer if you get a new car and/or grow with you. I would just get a pair of coax for the rear and then add a separate component for the front door so you can keep the first upgrade to the tweets. if you want more high freq. sound do the whole car in coax. either way beyond a simple pair or front speakers your next step will be a big one. you will need a 4 channel amp to control the bass roll off and eq the new speakers. you will will need to keep your factory to amp to power your fronts and can can power the sub and rears with the four channel or get a sub amp and use it to amp some other config. in short tweets and or subwoofer, unplug your rear speakers if you can, all the rest of the speakers will have more power and sound better. beyond that eq, & dsp your stock amp then add a 4. channel amp and new speakers.