1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading Stock low beam halogen with HID LED

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Sesha, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Sesha

Sesha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Members of Prius family,

I have a 2011 Gen 3 Prius. Am planning to replace the stock Halogen low beam (H11) with LED lights. I need your guidance and experience if I can replace this as a DYI stuff, with the OPT7 LED kit (below link).

1. How difficult is it install these, without any issues or CanBus Errors. Just plug into the sockets and make the connectors.
    2. Reason to replace, I want a bit brighter visible clear light on the road, as these day I have to drive 2 lane narrows roads without any street lighting, with Winter being round the corner.
    3. Any other suggestions for a bit more clear view of the road.

Thank you
    Sesha.

Burna J likes this.
  2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First, do your research and ensure the LEDs will be bright enough to do the job. LEDs are good, but they generally aren't fit for nighttime illumination. They may be "brighter" but that doesn't translate into candle-power. A "dimmer" bulb can actually put out more usable light that projects farther.

pauerbach likes this.
  3. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm agree with @qdllc.

I think you're going to find those OPT7 LEDs are not the upgrade you're looking for.

I modified a set of OPT7s to work as reverse lights. That is indeed an upgrade.

4. pauerbach

pauerbach Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree with all the above comments. LED retrofits are garbage. Either spend the money on a factory Prius LED headlight unit or use this aftermarket xenon retrofit which many here have done successfully:

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  5. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I looked up Xenonsupply on Amazon there are 2 prices, one is about $150, the other $50 bucks. Which one is being shown on this video? And I would assume the more expensive set being the superior one? :ROFLMAO:

Also, there's this guy once told me if going with HID, 55w ballasts is brighter thus giving you better visibility, especially going with 6000K, is this true? My current HID set is 55w 6000k, unknown brand, left side is turning greenish LOL, therefore I am considering a replacement now.

6. saltdiscus

saltdiscus Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As far as I know 55w is little bit bright but it runs hot than 35w.so I just bought 35w with 43k hid light for h11.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RMB likes this.
  7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Regarding 35w vs 55w HID.

Brighter isn't necessarily better. Factory HID lighting limits foreground illumination immediately in front of the vehicle to cut down on glare that actually causes your pupils to get smaller/constrict, which causes loss of night vision and creates eye strain.

It's similar to using highbeams in fog. It's very bright, but it's a lot of glare into your eyes which decreases your vision.

Aftermarket HIDs in oem halogen projectors don't limit the foreground illumination like oem projectors designed for HID bulbs. So putting 55w HIDs in there is counterproductive as detailed above regarding excessive foreground glare.

#7 xliderider, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Vman455, RMB and Dylan Doxey like this.
  8. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In addition to the other comments, I've seen the inner surface of the reflector bulbs get fried and the reflective chrome starts to get grainy and cooked when they're overheated. I would not recommend testing the heat tolerance of reflector bulbs that were engineered for halogens. Go with the 35w.

As for the price ...
    I'm looking at the Xenonsupply website: www.xenonsupply.com/collections/toyota-prius/products/toyota-prius-hid-xenon-package
    There is a kit for $39 which is just a set of HID bulbs, and nothing else. That won't do you much good if you don't already have the ballasts and wiring harness. You definitely want the full $149 monty, with ballasts and bulbs, and I personally recommend the additional relay harness kit which adds another $15 to the order.

When I put one of these XenonSupply kits in my PriusC a few years back, they worked great without the relay harness -- usually. But 10% of the time, on startup, only one of the HIDs would ignite. This is because the headlight circuit designed to activate halogens doesn't reliably deliver the amperage necessary to simultaneously spark up two HID arcs. I added the relay harness and the problem was solved. #JustSayin

#8 Dylan Doxey, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    RMB and xliderider like this.
  9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure ballasts are AC. DC ballasts are only in cheap kits, or where the manufacturer is really cutting corners to keep the price down.

RMB likes this.
  10. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks guys for the inputs on the little details I need to pay attention to on HID. I will see if the 55w ballast/bulb I have been using has any damage on the housing or mounting area. Also on xliderider's signature there was a link to H11 to H9 conversion that is very very interesting!

Dylan Doxey likes this.