1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upper glove box issues! Dealer wanted over $400.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Judi 62, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Judi 62

Judi 62 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After watching a very well done video, this 62 year old woman took on the challenge! The dealership said that they could not fix the problem concerning my upper glovebox not opening and closing properly. I would have to buy a new one for $420.00 parts and labor. I found a YouTube video . This guy was reinstalling everything that had to be taken off to get to the upper glove box. He stated to complete every step in reverse to take the parts off. I could kiss this guy! The glove box surely has a design flaw. Toyota should be taking care of the problem, not replacing the boxes and charging an arm and a leg, but replacing the pins with locking pins. There is a hinge pin that slips out of place, a small silver colored ,about an inch long, hollow pin. You can fix this! If I was able to do it and I did, you can. The service manager told me ,"it can't be fixed". I sent him a picture after I fixed the box. He asked if I needed a job. Boy is that telling about the skills of the service techs? Not really, it is all about MONEY! Popping the covers off was the hardest. I did not want to scratch them. I used a thin flathead with end covered with electrical tape to carefully pop up the gear shift,console, and vent covers. They actually make auto trim removal tools if you feel safer getting those. I thought I would try the screw driver first. It worked.I then removed upper and lower glove boxes via great video instructions. I put a drop of machine oil on working parts after replacing the pin and a small black gear wheel that had also slipped out. Be careful with that. When replacing this,it will stay only if placed one way .If it does not stay, rotate it upside down. This little black gear wheel may or may not be out of place In your car. If you do not find it loose it is probably secure In place.It does have a purpose.The notches on the left hinge arm mate and roll on this little black gear wheel.Take the left metal spring out to access the gear wheel chamber only if you find it loose. When I removed my top glove box,the little black disc was laying there. You can put a little super glue on the side of the SOLID part of the gear wheel to further secure it. I did. Not the gear! It spins! Everything went fast when buttoning things backup . Putting the gloveboxes in and securing all covers was a snap. 5 minutes to do that! Just make sure all malevtabs on cover pieces are lined up with the female components.Thanks for saving me lots of money by posting that You tube video, fella in the red shirt! YOU TUBE title: How to remove and replace a Toyota Prius console and glovebox.

#1 Judi 62, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. walldiver4

walldiver4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Good on yer', Judi.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and well done!(y)

4. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Judi,
    Its fun when you do it yourself! Its more fun when you do it yourself and you save a lot of money! I highly recommend you try to do as much as you can on your own with your Prius. The regular maintenance on these cars is a DIY'er's dream come true. Should try doing something yourself and you get stuck, the worse that can happen is you wind up taking your car in for repair. Good Job!!

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good on you! (y)

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle: