1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upper Oil Pan Removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cory151, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Quick question arose while changing oil and found a hairline crack in the upper cast aluminum oil pan, does the engine have to be pulled to change that if I every wanted to?

Anybody ever changed one?

Heres a pic:

2007 Toyota Prius Oil Pan Upper and Lower | eBay

2. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nobody taken an upper oil pan out?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Is any oil leaking from the crack?
    2. The factory repair manual does not offer a procedure to remove the upper oil pan. I assume that it will be necessary to remove the front engine cover (which contains the engine oil pump) for access to the upper oil pan. Removing that cover requires that the engine valve cover also be removed.

4. GKuma

GKuma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I would first try to patch with JB Weld. It may not be perfect but .........

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Please don't do that Cory151.

6. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ehhh I'm not gonna fix it with JB Weld (though I know it's usefull stuff), especially when a replacement pan is only $125 on eBay.

Thanks for the info Pat, that's interesting that there is no procedure for it. If I don't have to pull the whole engine (instead the front engine cover, A/C motor and upper valve cover), it maybe be something I can tackle myself and further the knowledge of the process here.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Um, I think Gen 2 uses essentially the same 1NZ-FXE engine as my Gen 1. There isn't a separate 'take off the upper oil pan' procedure in the manual, but naturally it is shown as part of the steps for engine teardown. If I remember right, it's got bolted connections to the timing cover in the 'front' and to the transaxle/bellhousing in the 'rear', so by the time you can take it off, you're a lot of the way toward removing the engine. Most inconveniently, it forms about half of the bore for the rear main seal, with the block forming the other half; the new seal has to be pressed in after the upper pan is reattached, which requires access to the rear of the engine with the flywheel removed. Also, the joint between upper pan and block is sealed with a Toyota FIPG with strict requirements for cleaning the surfaces, working time, relative motion while mating the surfaces, etc. Even if you could think of ways to do all of this on the car, it would be a whole lot easier to get right on an engine stand with good access and light.

-Chap

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Detractors aside, the JB Weld option might be your best bet.

Depending on where the crack is and the perceived $125 is the cost of the replacement of the upper oil pan, unfortunately, the labor required for the replacement of the upper oil pan likely requires removal and replacement of the engine from the car.

Those of you who are great advocates of carbon fiber reinforced plastic don't realize that JB Weld is the equivalent to being steel reinforced plastic.

If the crack ends in the edge of the casting, the repair is likely to be less effective and may fail. If the crack is isolated and neither end ends on or crosses the edge of the casting, it will be as good as "no crack."

Use of epoxies like JB Weld is a long industry honored and prescribed and even a factory technique for repairing of porous cast aluminum transmission castings.

Preparation starts with cleaning the cracked area of all grease and foreign residue.

A Dremel tool with a rocket nose cone shaped carbide cutter should be used to clean the crack down to make a "V" shaped furrow to the full depth of the crack. Also, the end of the crack should end in a larger rounded depression to relieve stress at the end of the crack to spread the stress over a wider area.

Mix standard JB Weld and squeeze it into the crack by covering it with a clear polyethylene plastic bag. Let it harden overnight.

A day later, peel off the plastic bag. Sand and level the entire patched area smooth with 180 grit wet or dry sandpaper.

Cut a patch of aluminum from a new thick aluminum foil turkey oven roasting pan.

Clean both the aluminum and the patch area with brake cleaner.

JB Weld the parch in place.

Let the area harden overnight and you're done.

Since the oil sump area has very little pressure or vacuum, it is likely that the repair will be permanent. From your profile, it is clear they your car is a 10 year old 2005.

Therefore, the JB Weld option would be a very good one, if it works. Given the low cost and low amount of labor expended, it is worth a try.

alekska likes this.
  9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mike we agree on many things, but not this time. While it can withstand 500° F constant, the differential expansion rate to the cast aluminum, the pressure (although not that high) and material difference is such that the poster would just be wasting time on a temporary repair...even with a tin or aluminum overlay.

10. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any idea if it is a one or 2 piece rear main?

So you are suggesting I seperate the transaxle from the engine to place the engine on a stand rather than change the oil pan on the car? I've replaced rear main seals/ crank seals before on 4x4 trucks and and didnt find it to be too bad. Getting the the trans out of the way was the hardest part for me.

11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Single piece. To replace the upper oil pan you need to remove the transaxle to get to rear main seal and the front cover. So you might as well remove the engine and transaxle at the same time and then separate them.

#11 valde3, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  12. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt that the upper oil pan will be much hotter than the water jacket that cools the engine block. The upper range would be about 250 degrees Fahrenheit.

If the crack travels to the edge o the casting, he can readily remove the oil pan, drill a hole through the crack and fasten another piece of aluminum on the inside with a "pop" rivet though the crack to provide mechanical strength for the joint in two areas,

13. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would be very cautious in presuming a visual defect is a crack rather than a scratch. You can try some JB Weld or why not wait for the thing to actually drip/fail before you yank the engine and a major repair?

14. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two

image.jpg Great idea I just drive it until it becomes an issue maybe I'll make it to the end of the driveway.

15. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Now, that's one big hole. You said that it was a crack,

Still, you can make a patch out of aluminum plates and bolt or rivet the inside and outside ones together with a sealing compound.

kenoarto likes this.
  16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lol, a crack? :eek:

Are you sure a connecting rod isn't missing? ;)

17. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "found a hairline crack" the picture is of?

18. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep that's how it started I found a crack, started removing material and look what I find, somebody else's shitty patch. Oh well already ordered a new one off eBay for $125.

Until then I'm gonna start removing everything and prep all the surfaces for the new pan.

Haha right? Nice little window to view my rotating assembly.

Guys let this be a lesson to you all make sure you check that your PVC valve is working, I didn't and look what happened.:sick::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

#18 Cory151, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
  19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's all...slap some speed tape or bag bin tape on it. :rolleyes: Sorry...couldn't resist.

[​IMG]

That's why you don't use JB on an engine.

#19 frodoz737, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  20. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, this is a good lesson about not buying a salvage vehicle - even if you had believed the rebuilder was competent.

kenoarto likes this.