1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upsize your Rear Wiper from 15.75" to 20"

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Areometer, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dan,

I just updated our site to include 20†refills as well. It is grouped with the oversized rear wiper kit. Standard refill should fit just fine.

Edward

2. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Now, you can also upsize your front driver's side wiper!

Did you folks know that you can also upsize your front driver's side wiper from the stock's 26" to 28" for extra coverage?

No need to change wiper arm for this one. Just get the 28" PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Blade (black or carbon fiber) and you are all set. In the future, all you need is the 28" refill and you never need to buy the whole wiper blade again. They outlast OE which means less waste in our landscape.

3. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Will you at some point carry the front passenger wiper in carbon fiber?

Wayne

4. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I learned something during my tint installation that might be useful here. There's a brown dot on the rear window for cars with rear wipers. This is used to align the wiper during installation to the home/off position. I'm hoping that little tidbit will be useful to those who install a new (or reinstall their existing) rear wiper.

5. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We have been carrying such item. Go to my page, then in the left column, look for - PIAA Super Silicone (choose between refill only or wiper). In the pull down menu, select 18" Carbon $20. This is exactly what you are asking for. Passenger side can only fit 18" wiper just like stock.

6. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Joe for the info. I didn't know about that...

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Will the JDM wiper arm get pulled up in a carwash? I've noticed the current locking elbow keeps that from happening.

8. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hm ... I can't say for sure cos' whenever I give my Prius a bath, I use those manual DYI booth & I spray it all over w/ high pressure jet stream - the JDM rear wiper never gets lifted up because of that. I have never used other types on the Prius.

We have sold many oversized rear wiper sets and no one has reported such problem to us, ever. But I will never say never until I try them all out.

9. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I tend to think the 20 Inch may finally tear as it goes off the glass...... isn't it going to rubbing against the rubber moulding and prematurely wear last inch of the wiper?
    If that be the case... the 19 Inch would be perfect.

10. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry to respond so late. I don't have as much time to browse PriusChat as I used to. Well, to make it short, the 20" fits perfectly well. It does NOT wipe outside of the glass region nor does it touch any rubber gasket. Feel free to order the 20".

11. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I just got the 20" Arm/Blade assy from Sigma and tried taking the old wiper assembly off the shaft/motor. Removed the nut, then tried to lift, wiggle, etc. to get the OE arm to release from the shaft. No Joy. :(

Has anyone else done the replacement and had this problem? When I lift the OE arm assy the shaft comes right along with it. Maybe I'm too timid but I don't want to damage anything back there because I think replacing the seal/motor, etc. could be more $$$ than I've bargained for.

Anybody with a suggestion or just tell me that in your experience the OE arm was a real tight fit.

Thanks.

Never mind. I got it to work. Its was really tight and gave the shaft a couple of whacks with a hammer (used a piece of wood to protect the shaft).

The coverage area of the 20" blade is better but it sure would be nice if the arm was articulated so it swept in a more horizontal direction.

BTW, the very end of the blade does come off the top edge of the glass by about 1/4". Its not far enough to touch the adjacent painted surface but it could cause the end of the blade to abrade some. However, if we are all good car care persons then we'll be replacing the blade at least once a year so I think the end should hold up okay.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just had my rear wiper installed at the dealer, no charge. Had the ECM reprogram done and the 25K maintenance done at the same time. You may know that it rains a bit here. In fact we just broke the record in Olympia now 35 consecutive days of measurable rain. Not a world record or even US but it rains here, a lot, and having the larger area of clear window is great! Rain bring it on. I think the US record is something like 350+ days of rain some where on the north shore of Kauai. I could live with out that!!

13. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

I love rain! :D

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What if you trimmed a little 1/4" arc off the top end? Or maybe a straight cut just high enough to miss the glass. Then it couldn't possibly rub on anything.

I wonder how the longer blade works in snow/ice. For reasons I will never understand, there are no 'wires' in a fairly large rectangle in the upper corner of the passanger side. Those of us who live in the cold have seen snow and ice build up there. I would worry about the end of the wiper ripping on that.

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I'm sure you can jsut trim a small triangle of rubber from the end so that it doesn't hang over. I'll find out pretty soon, I've got one coming.

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think it is a 1/4 of an inch. It is some what less than that. The wipe touches the metal edge not more and you have to watch it for a while to see that. Yes it touches but that is it. I am going to watch it and not trim anything.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I didn't catch the elaboration on what you meant here?

Are you saying that those of us who have american prius's cannot upgrade to an oversize wiper?

Or are you saying if you upgrade, you need to get the arm with it?

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can you change the arm without taking it off the shaft/nut?

Will it just come loose and change to another that way.. or does the new arm include the bar that hooks to the nut?

19. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

No, what is meant is that with the standard wiper arm/blade on the North American Prius, the 15+ length is as long a blade as you will ever have. The one on Sigma replaces the whole arm assembly that will take the 20 inch blade

20. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just received this upgrade from Sigma. I took the plastic cover and nut off the old arm, but haven't been able to get the old arm to pull free from its shaft. I don't want to pull it or tap it too hard since it is through glass. I ended up ordering a gear puller for $12 via amazon.com (used, last one left). I will try again when that gets here.

- Tom