1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upsize your Rear Wiper from 15.75" to 20"

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Areometer, Jul 1, 2005.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Surely there is an easier way...... sometimes its just a matter of tilting back and forth... but I'm sure you've tried that...

Maybe Someone can share the secret of what makes its so hard and how to fix that problem.

2. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So in your opinion is the 19 inch better?.... I see the clear glass and then bordered in black glass and then the paint.

If the end comes off the top edge, I don't see that as a proper install unless you can trim it so it doesn't become abraided......

Suggestions?

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you can get a bit of penetrating oil in there, I'll bet it would help. Maybe even add a bit of heat from a heat gun.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes there is an easier way. Make friends with your local Prius Tech and he may give you a brake on the install. The best way to pull the old arm is using a special tool. If I buy another tool that I use just once I may die. I am not sure of that but there have been signs. BTW get the 20 inch arm if you are in the Pacific Northwest.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I'm definately up here with you Hdrygas!......

But I don't want to shred the tip off because it hits something it shouldn't.. can you verify that you have it installed and it doesn't hit anything?
    Otherwise I will just go with the 19 inch.

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Did I miss something (again)? Where did you find a 19" arm/blade?

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Post 15, 16, 19 and 20 speak about it..

8. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All you have to do is to specify (in the checkout comment field) that you want a 19" instead of 20" blade. We will package the kit w/ the blade that you want.

9. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My bad for signing up in the middle of a thread! :) Thanks! :embarrassed:

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

*Ok Areometer.. based on what I think I've read.... the 20 inch blade actually is going on the 19 inch arm but does ok... is that correct?

*Second, there seems to be conflicting info as to whether the 20 inch will go over the edge and get buggered up on the tip without having to shave off 1/4 inch?
    Can you give me an idea of whats up with the 20 inch.. how far does it get from the paint?
    I know you have mentioned a bit about this in the past, but I just need some clarification since there has been discrepencies.

As far as the front ones.... it sounds like there is not alot of profit in upsizing those? or not?.... Wouldn't you have to also buy new arms?... I know someone has mentioned that one of them cannot be bigger than 18 inches.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Wow, I didn't realize this blade was this big!..... so the passenger side can be no bigger than 18 inches, but the drivers side can to up to 28 and the extra inch doesn't get unstable without support of the arm to the very end?

12. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is no 20†or 19†arm. There is only this JDM steel wiper arm that we sell. We fit whatever lengths of PIAA wiper blades that we wish onto this arm.

I am using the 19†wiper blade and there is room on the glass for 20†wiper blade. If you worry, go for the 19â€.

As for the front ones, you don’t need to change the OE arms. Just change the wiper blades to longer PIAA ones.

OE Driver side = 26†(there is room to use up to 28†PIAA ones but you have to modify this PIAA clip so I suggest sticking w/ 26â€)
    OE Passenger side = 18†(there is no room to use anything larger than this)

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thanks for being patient..... Short explanations are worse for me... it leaves too many unanswered questions. I appreciate spelling it out a bit.

By going to 20 inches.. I'm trying to figure if this extra inch "over the 19" is split 1/2 on each end or whether the whole extra inch goes towards the end of the blade?

I still need to reconfirm from you that the 20 inch will not prematurely wear out due to the tip hitting stuff its not supposed to based on this comment:

14. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The arm only clamps onto the wiper blade. If you buy the 28" wiper blade, it will support its 28" refill. But like I mentioned, modifications need to be done to the PIAA clamp on this 28" model before the Prius wiper hook will fit it. This is why I don't suggest upsizing on the front driver side wiper. Some customers have done it but they haven't shown me pics...

15. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The extra inch on the 20" (over 19") will be split into 2x 1/2" on both ends. The 20" should not scratch cos' it clearly has enough room on mine even though I use 19". If it does touch anything but the glass on yours, I will swap it w/ a 19" at no cost to you. Though I will need the 20" one back and we will pay for all freight.

16. MBranstein

MBranstein New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does anyone have before and after pictures of the new wipers that they could post?

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Thanks.. can't get any more reasonable than that... I'm sure the 20 could be trimmed if needed without all that trading back and forth.... I'll try the 20...

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK.. I just ordered two of the 20 inch.

19. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A lil' announcement here: 20" PIAA Wiper Blades are on back order now until the end of Feb. If you have placed an order for this Oversized Wiper Blade Kit, your order is affected by this and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. If you need it urgent and don't mind taking the 19" wiper blade instead, please email us (don't post here & don't use PM). Thank you.

Sorry for the delay in processing your orders.

Edward

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Edward, can you tell me exactly how close the 20inch gets to the paint?..
    I ordered two 20 inchers, but may consider dropping to 19... sounds like we are really talking about 1/2 inch anyway in extra wiping area at the tip.