1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upsizing to 195/65/15 Nokian Entyre 2.0 possible for Gen 2 Prius?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mcmars, Jul 28, 2019.

1. mcmars

mcmars Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all, my first post here as I just bought a 2008 Prius with worn out 185/65/15 tires (stock sizing) and want to upgrade the size one notch. I understand the stock sizing is best for squeezing out best MPG, but I have other needs. I live in Utah/Colorado and the roads are very rough with potholes and irregularities and worried about trashing the undercarriage.. But really, I want to be able to carry some loads at times for recreational use, biking, camping, rafting, you know smash fitting my 12 ft raft, dry box cooler, frame, oars, inflatable kayak, camping gear, guitar, dog and all the other trimmings for a few weeks out traveling, camping and boating. I have a huge suburban that does the heavy duty trips and hauls trailers, but hoping I can utilize the Prius for some lighter boating trips. My old 96 Legacy Subaru with 2.2 has less power than the Prius and I can haul quite a load, so hoping the Prius will be up to the task.

I looks like there is space in wheel wells, but thought I better post here and find out if there are other issues? The nokian has a higher load capacity, beefier side walls, max of 51 PSI when I need it. The contact tire width will increase about 0.4 inch from 7.3 to 7.7", height 1/2" or so (25" diameter). I prefer a stiffer ride than the plush cushy ride most folks are used to as the roads are so rough near me. I have always upgraded other vehicles with similar load range tires, so I understanding the handling will be more truck/SUV like than the normal Prius experience. Hoping to get a tad more clearance under the vehicle to keep from bottoming out over bumps and obstacles.

Also open to suggestions, different tire choices and general prius wisdom. I just got the car 2 days ago, but have used the Nokian WRg2 on a subaru years back and it was an amazing all season tire that could hydroplane through 2 feet of snow, but also handle wonderful for summer touring. The Nokian Entyre is selling for as low as $65 free shipping if you look on google and thinking this might be best bang for buck for me.

2. mcmars

mcmars Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just got email from discount tires saying they will price match other vender for $65/each for the Nokian 195/65/15 I am wanting. I am going to to spring for them and will try them out. I am getting about 45.5 miles/gallon now, so will post a follow on how these tires impact mileage as I know most folks are concerned with their MPG on the prius.

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    . If you search the site you will find several people that use 195/60-15

mcmars likes this.
  4. mcmars

mcmars Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the 195/60/r15 is slightly smaller than the stock 185/65/R15 size. I am wanting to go slightly bigger than stock. Thx skibob

5. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can compare sizes on http://www.tiresize.com. The 195/65/15 will change your speedo by +2.5mph at 60, but being as you have a Gen 2, the speedo is slow by about 2 mph, so this would correct it, if the other posts on the speedo topic are correct.

mcmars likes this.
  6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Given what you said, you need a tire with a HIGHER LOAD RANGE than stock.
    Just getting a different size might not accomplish what you need.
    Look at the spec's.

mcmars likes this.
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Like @Skibob said, the search feature works and does a decent job of returning results once you're past the learning curve.

You will find numerous posts on tire size and even ride height, though not as many as if you wanted to lower the vehicles height.

This online tool might be of help with plus sizing your tires : Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com

There are other threads that might also be of interest, like this one : Tema 4x4 lift kit | PriusChat

Be sure and share your pictures and progress so that others can learn as well.

mcmars and Skibob like this.
  8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP actually has, as quoted and bolded below :whistle:

Skibob likes this.
  9. mcmars

mcmars Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the tips and help everyone. I saw those spacers on ebay for my 96 legacy wagon and read the post linked here on the Tema lift spacers. They might be good way to go eventually, but might hold off for now and just get the new tires on an a good alignment and see how I like the vehicle before I get carried away. Ironically, I considered those spacers for my legacy for same reason, but concluded I would want to replace the old struts as well and with the age and mileage, it did not make financial sense to dump that kind of time and money into the old subaru.

10. mcmars

mcmars Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i ordered a curt 11468 receiver hitch for bike rack or maybe a light rack or small trailer to carry some boating gear. I also ordered a set of the SuperSprings coil helper insert CSS-1125 for the rear springs. The Superspring CSS 1125 seems way overpriced for what it is, but it has good reviews on improving ability to keep rear end from sagging under loads and people say it really improves the handling and helps to minimize sway, loaded or not. They both look easy to install. The Curt hitch is famous for being bent upon arrival and having to torque it into place to get the bolt holes to line properly, feeling lucky tonight, guess I will figure it out.

11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it came bent why wouldn’t you return it and get a replacement?

mcmars likes this.
  12. mcmars

mcmars Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like they get bent easily by UPS and it is a crapshoot, but they can get bent back, or yes I can send it back and try for another one.

Thanks for help. I have been doing my homework and trying to come up with a good plan for the new/old car. I cannot believe the collective knowledge here for these cars. I am thinking I go ahead and change out transaxle and all cololants, new ECI water pump and also the inverter pump. Maybe the belt and thermostat? 144K miles and history does not include this work.

SFO likes this.
  13. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you've checked out the VIN at http://www.toyota.com/owners for the service history or lack there of.

All of those items would be a good idea. Might check/change the plugs, and pass on the thermostat.

mcmars likes this.
  14. mcmars

mcmars Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drove it to local toyota dealer day I bought car and told service manager I had just bought car and asked for history and was planning on having them do any service I could not do. He was very nice and printed up whole vehicle repair history. I did go to the toyota website and register and compare the web service history to the print out I got from the dealer, and it looks like I got more history of the servicing from the dealer print out, more details and specifically the services that were performed under warranty, maybe I am not seeing everything.

What is most notable for my vehicle was the HV coolant pump was replaced at 59K miles ( no mention they drained and refilled coolant thou, just said "1" unit of fluid was used), several headlight replacements indicate they burn up every 40K miles or so, and at 129K 2 years ago, the 2nd owner I bought from had it looked at due the red triangle on dash coming on occasionally and likely cause was 12 volt battery starting to go bad. 2nd owner told me he just replaced battery and a headlight, thinking he did it on his own as no mention of dealer installing one. He also had dealer replace the plugs then, so that is good to go with denso plugs, and a multi point inspection noted the water pump is leaking fluid through weep hole and owner declined the $400 replacement at that time.

The service manager recommended I pay about them $290 for ECI and inverter coolant change. I am betting they would also find I needed a new water pump and belt and who knows what else. I am assuming the vehicle still has original coolants and transaxle fluids, so I will take all that on and replace both water pumps, belt and idler pulley minimum. Maybe I start a new thread on what I do to get the prius up to snuff on these kinds of things as it looks like the car missed full the 120K servicing and I am kinda getting sidetracked on my original tire upsize post.

I have read how just leaving the door ajar overnight, or almost anything, will discharge the 12 volt battery and damage it, I might go with the yellow top optima deep discharge battery to avoid falling into the expensive toyota battery replacement that is easily damaged. I ordered interior LED lights, maybe that will help to avoid the door ajar discharge issue as well.

SFO likes this.
  15. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All LED lights would eliminate that problem. Also if you use the fob to lock the doors the car will let you know if a door is ajar. The people that have the door ajar problem don’t lock the car.

mcmars likes this.
  16. mcmars

mcmars Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I am fully guilty and culpable regarding not locking doors, but I might consider changing my evil ways with this prius. Trying to figure out best key plan, I normally throw my key under a nearby rock at river trip put in so I do not have to worry about it being lost on river trips, but that is not gonna work with the prius. Luckily, I did get 3 FOB's with my car, so maybe there is a safe way to hide one under car without it being in the vehicle recognition range?

17. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How about getting a regular key made, hide that under a rock and turn the SKS off then leave the fob in the car somewhere?

mcmars likes this.
  18. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Pretty sure that only TWO of those can be programmed to work at any given time.
    You probably should test to be sure which two that is.

mcmars likes this.
  19. mcmars

mcmars Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perfect!!! I have been boating for 40+ years and have experienced many trips where people forgot about keys and you get to put in or take out and no key. I always bring one with me on the water (spare), but hide my primary key under nearby rock when shuttling vehicle to PI or TO.

20. mcmars

mcmars Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Humm??, original owner had another fob programed, maybe he lost one, but then re found it later. I will check them all out and report back.