1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Urban Biodiesel Truck spotted by ... a primary source ... me.

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Rybold, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I took this picture with my FIVE megapixel camera phone at a stop light today in Lake Forest, California.

Biodiesel in Southern California ??? Really??? I thought biodiesel was just in the Midwest where farm fields are abundant.

(I envision a future when we all drive EVs with backup generators that run on biofuels - generators that we rarely use)

*for those that over-analyze the color of the stop light, it had JUST turned green. :)

Attached Files:

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Biodiesel can be anywhere there is a fast food chain. It costs money to haul the oil away and dispose of it, many fast food chains are happy to give it away.

Did the truck smell like french fries when it drove off? (Serious question, that is generally how you can tell!) Some call it "greasoline". :)

3. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They closed down the last biodiesel station where I live in Jan of 2009. The nearest E85 station is 75 miles away .

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    California is the largest agricultural producer of the United States:

"California remained the No. 1 state in cash farm receipts in 2008, with its $36.2 billion in revenue, representing 11.2 percent of the U.S. total. The state accounted for 14 percent of national receipts for crops and 7.5 percent of the U.S. revenue for livestock and livestock products."

CDFA > Statistics

5. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I know exactly what you mean. The truck, which I was right behind, was emitting no scent at all. No diesel smell, no food smell. Nothing. It sounded like a diesel (I drove up beside it because I wanted to hear it), but emitted fumes that could not be detected by the noses of occupants driving behin the truck.
    We produce mostly fruit and vegetables and less corn though. The Midwest is the major corn producer. Corn is the most common source for biofuels. To run a biofuel vehicle in So.Cal, the fuel has to be imported.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just saw a story on the news, Disneyland is reusing the fry oil to make fuel for their Locomotive! WooooWoooo... Freennnnch Fryyyy

1 person likes this.
  7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad biodiesel is making it to California.

Corn is actually a bad feedstock for biofuels. Only congressional subsidies and mandates make it profitable for ethanol. Texas is the number one producer of biodiesel, and with willy nelson advocating it, we have plenty of biodiesel cars and trucks in Austin. There are many crops suitable for biodiesel grown in california. The map in the link below shows some plants in california. I'm not sure what there feedstock is. Algae seems to be one of the most promising crops for future production.

Biodiesel Fuel

1 person likes this.
  8. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'll bet you they add flavor chemicals to the fuel so that when it burns it makes the park visitors hungry so they buy more food.

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Would be nice if they could do the same for Autopia, or even better, convert those things to electric. Those things Stink with a capital S.

Of course, they'd have to change sponsors from Chevron to something else...