1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Urban CO2 dome

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jan 4, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looking for something else, I found an interesting paper on urban CO{2} concentration:
    http://www.atmos.berkeley.edu/~inez/MSRI-NCAR_CarbonDA/papers/barnet_refs/2000GL012632.pdf

It turns out urban CO{2} studies have become somewhat popular and worthy of study. Obviously the concentration of CO{2} in developed countries should peak around cities as well as combustion power plants. But this 2001 paper points out over Phoenix:
    • CO{2} concentrations show constant above 850 hPa (~5,000 ft)
    • maximum CO{2} temperature increase around 750 hPa (~8,000 ft)
    • surface warming from CO{2} << than other effects
    Urban CO{2} studies provide insights specific to the warming effects of CO{2}. One interesting side is the the degree that ". . . our simulations with the Chau et al. model do not include water vapor feedbacks that typically elevate the global temperature response to increased CO{2}. Furthermore, there is no evidence that atmospheric moisture levels in Phoenix have increased at the temperatures have risen."

Gosh, a city in an Arizona desert does not have more water at higher temperatures? . . . I'm shocked. I love how professional papers can understate the obvious. <grins>

Regardless, the importance of OCO-2 makes even more sense. Google found another 2012 article about urban CO{2} in London. The reason is these local concentrations of CO{2} means we can study isolated areas where the concentrations are in the projected ranges of global CO{2}. Thus heating effects in dry, wet, cloudy or other variables and their effects with CO{2} can be used to improve and tweak the global models.

CO{2} is not the only greenhouse gas and though I understand the global, black-body model, real life is more complex. So I appreciate these step-wise improvements in our understanding.

Bob Wilson

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Actually I am surprised that Phoenix air has not become more humid. It is a city of lawns and golf courses in what would otherwise have been desert.

Perhaps it is a similar signal/noise ratio problem that makes global humidity increases difficult to quantify.