1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Urgent... how to clear passenger side control arm bolt

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by irishluder, Jun 10, 2018.

1. irishluder

irishluder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello,

I am replacing a bent passenger (right) side control arm, I can not get the the bolt to clear the engine block and oil pan, I have loosened the motor mount bolts, two bolts, (are there more than 2?) and jacked the engine up as far as possible but the bolt still needs another 1/2" to clear...

the only other option I can see is loosening the sub frame... how can I accomplish this?

Any and all help is appreciated!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Drop the sub frame.

3. GreenPriusGuy

GreenPriusGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What bolts? If you could take some pics that would be good.

If the control arm is bent so that it's in the way, can you not just take an angle grinder until it isn't in the way?

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No there’s one bolt you need to lift the engine up out of its way. Some posters are able to some are not
    It’s a bitch. The sub frame if dropped clears the engine.

5. prius_deep

prius_deep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    irishluder, if you have a youtube account post video showing which [motor mount] bolts you loosened.

there are curently no videos on youtube showing how to do what you are tring to do.

6. irishluder

irishluder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For searching purposes Edthefox5 was correct, heres what you have to do:

Obviously the car is safely on jack stands at this point with the front of the car off the ground
    -You have to loosen the passenger side motor mount a good bit, about 1", dont take the bolts completely out, you'll have to loosen the washer reservoir to access one of the bolts. Then carefully use a jack and some wood on the oil pan near the bolt in question. Jack the engine up until you get all the play out you can, you'll still need about 1/2" of clearance to get the bolt to pass the oil pan.

-Then you have to loosen 2 of the sub frame bolts on the passenger side about an inch or so and pry on the subframe until it drops enough to slide the bolt out.

Here is a vid of a 3rd gen, not the same but similar, I'll see if I can snap a few photos of the bolts in question and add to the post later:

Goodluck!