1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

URGENT right front making scraping noise as i drive

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ilovemymac, May 19, 2013.

1. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I noticed coming home from work that my 2010 prius is making a scraping noise as i drive. i dont have far to drive and i drove slow but i did notice it. I see the rim of the wheel is scraped and the tire is too like it got hit somehow.
    I cant seem to fiqure out what is causing it and im afraid to drive it anywhere because the nearest toyota dealership is about 20 miles away via highway.
    Its like part of something is scraping as the wheel goes around. its not a constant scraping. That and i notice the steering wheel is pulling to the right.

Any ideas guys

2. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    YMMV, but take a look under the car and check to see if the oil door under the engine is hanging down and making contact with the ground. Upsetting when it happens, sounds nasty when it does.

If it is hanging down, this usually means the hinge area (just a bit more flexible bit of plastic, no real hinge) has snapped through. Duct tape it up out of the way and you can drive the car to the dealer. A new under engine plastic panel, which unfortunately the oil door is an integral part of, costs around $250-$300; however, there's a ask-the-dealer kind of recall on this panel, so you may be able to get it replaced gratis.

If you're handy with a screwdriver and wrench and happen to have a pair of ramps/jack around, it's straightforward to pop the whole under engine cover off. A couple of people have gotten out a drill, a Home Depot length of aluminum hinge, and their favorite pop-rivet tool and put a real hinge in there, and likely for a lot less than $250 or so.

On the other hand: If it's your wheels rubbing against stuff, you may have popped some other plastic loose. Good luck!

KBeck

3. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    nothing underneath seems to be out of place. Its only on the right side and you can see where the tire was scrapped and the wheel was scrapped. I am not sure what it could be. It looks like i hit a curb but we think something may have hit it in the storm we had tonight

4. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ok i started looking at both front wheels. I noticed that the i dont know what it is but it feels like tin or something between the brake and the joint that looked like it was rubbing. SO i pushed on it a little and it seems to quit. However i still notice the steering wheel has to be turned way to the right in order to track straight.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get it to Toyota asap by driving or tow truck to have alignment / suspension / wheels checked.

6. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I sure hope its nothing major. I dont have the money to put towards something like that cost allot. I hope its an alinement issue

7. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the steering is pulling to the right wheel is scraped then it is likely that your Prius has hit a curb or some other obstacle at hi speed. It's likely your Prius needs a wheel alignment and may have also dislocated something internally like the brake pads. A wheel alignment- tire and brake shop should be able to determine the problem and should be less expensive than the dealership. If you don't fix this problem you'll get poorer fuel economy plus the Prius' tires and brake pads will likely prematurely wear out so while a wheel alignment and brake service won't be cheap - it's cheaper than the alternative. Not good news, but hope this helps. (9_9)

Walter

8. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like something has hit and bent your brake dust shield and it is rubbing against the rotor. Take both front wheels off and compare the position of the shields to the rotor. You can compare the two and then bend the bent one back to it's original position.