1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

URGENT: Stranded with ! PS Battery Engine All on 2001 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Kristy, Dec 30, 2012.

1. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Kristy

Kristy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Th

Thanks everyone I'm printing all this out!

3. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Let us know how you make out with this

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I got the SMS note so don't worry about the clamps until you get the package. The screw-to-tighten clamps are available at any auto parts store or hardware store. Just show them the hose and say,"Do you have any screw-on clamps for this hose?"

Patience, study, and then act. The hardware won't mind. <grins>

Bob Wilson

5. Kristy

Kristy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Will do, I'll definitely keep you all posted. Thank you so much! You're amazing!

6. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    thats what we do. what did i tell you. bob, patrick, usnavy, 3prongpaul. good guys and they know these prius's well. Welcome. we do what we do. Thats service.

usnavystgc likes this.
  7. Kristy

Kristy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I can get codes pulled today to post, napa and autozone are open and say they have OBD-2 scanners, very generic. Would a scan from that be helpful for the prius?

8. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    depends on what is setting the codes. if the engine is setting them yes. if its the hybrid system, then no. that also depends on if their scanner is a prius aware scanner, meaning it can read the hybrid system of the car. If your inverter pump fails, causing the inverter to overheat and it throws the codes, if their scanner is not prius aware, it will not pick it up. Guys correct me if im wrong about this.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It might be helpful as long as you keep in mind that a generic scanner at best will retrieve DTC logged by the engine ECU. It probably will ignore DTC logged by the hybrid vehicle or other ECUs.

Does your car currently show any warning lights? If not, then there may not be much for the generic scanner to retrieve.

10. Kristy

Kristy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Only the check engine light right now on the dashboard, the screen is normal.

11. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    is this with the car started and running?

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Then you should have the DTC read to see what clues result. CEL light shows the engine ECU logged DTC.

scotman27 likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One caution, the counter clerk reading the codes might offer or automatically "clear the codes." Make sure they understand you do not want them to "Clear the codes" because there is a better scanner coming and you want to read the saved codes.

Each ECU and in particular the Hybrid Vehicle ECU has three codes stored that we want to see. It is likely we will only see the generic code that requires reading a sub-code (P3126??) but still, it is good to have the three primary codes.

BTW, your local Toyota dealer, regardless of their competence, has a Techstream scanner, the ultimate. They will probably charge about $100 but you would need to insist on getting:
    • HV ECU and inverter sub-codes
    • Engine ECU codes
    • Battery ECU and the 19 module pair voltages
    Take a good book and something to amuse the child . . . they are not likely to be especially 'fast.'

Bob Wilson

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ridiculous. Of course the oil should be at the full mark on the dipstick. Another Prius chat myth.
    Keep your oil at the full mark.

15. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    ed,
    I was told/ read on various forums that on the gen 1's to keep the oil a little above half on the dipstick. mine was at full when I first got the car. it misfired like crazy. So i cleaned the intake. and all was well for about a day or two, then the misfires happened again and the oil was pooled in the intake again. so this time I drained the oil to a little above half. cleaned the intake again and I have not had a problem since.

If you had a gen 1 and kept your oil at full, what was the fix to keep that oil out of your intake to prevent the misfires?

not trying to sound rude, I'm curious now. but if you found a fix for it that would be awesome. I myself would rather keep the oil on full like the rest of my cars. But this car if I do that, I get a pool of oil in the intake and misfires.

not trying to hyjack the thread but our poster also is possibly having a misfire problem. It would be great to know if we can keep our gen 1's on full and not have the oil in the intake.

16. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Scot,
    I always keep mine right at full and I haven't had problems. Keep in mind that this is just one data point but, I always keep mine at the full mark.

edthefox5 likes this.
  17. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    your lucky, i cant do that with mine. I dont know what causes this and why i got to keep it at half on mine. Im stumped as to why the oil at half in the oil pan which is on the bottom of the engine gets into the intake if its full. but it honestly bothers me that its not at full. I am wondering if the pcv valve is gone and thats causing my problems. im half tempted to pull the valve cover and take a look at the baffle to see if I can modify it to keep splashing oil from going back to the intake. maybe ill start by replacing the pcv valve and see what happens.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My experience is this engine is sensitive to overfill. It seems OK if just at "F" but when I took delivery, it was 1/4" over. I drained out nearly a quart of excess oil and saw an immediate effect:
    [​IMG]
    So I started filling to just under "F" and that seems to work just fine. Now I fill with 3 quarts instead of 4 and never have to worry about going over "F". The intake manifold is 'dry' and the car seems to perform as expected . . . after 151,000 miles and climbing.

Bob Wilson

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There has been speculation that overfilled the oil pool might be splashing on the crank. Anything that increases the probability of an oil mist is going to challenge the PVC valve.

Bob Wilson

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All Gen II's have a little oil in the bottom of the intake and does not cause the misfire. Pretty sure same with Gen I. Its part of the Atkinson cycle type of the engine. Do you really think Toyota would put a full mark on the oil dipstick that overfills the crankcase? Hilarity would surely ensue. The tiny oil pool at the bottom of the intake is harmless and always there. Been there on my car since new and most other posters I have seen. Never had a misfire.
    Please check yours right now. I bet there's oil down there. You've hit oil!!!

Misfires are usually caused by electronic issues. A misfire caused by oil through the intake would not correct itself and would usually foul the plugs & require replacement of the sparkplugs.

The most common for Gen I and there is a TSB out for this is a failure of the black rubber seal at the base of the windshield water dam that seals when the hood is closed and does not allow water to ingress from overflow of the dam into the engine compartment. When that seal fails water drips directly on top of the engine and gets into the spark plug wells and shorts out the ignitor. Evidenced by corrosion in the well and ignitor tip upon removal of the ignitor. Its an annoying problem because the corrosion involved is slow moving and the misfire becomes very intermittent. This can go on for a long time as a slight issue until the misfire becomes bad and constant.

Again there is a specific TSB for this issue. Carolyn @ Luscious Garage describes it in one of her blogs as a very very common problem.

I recommend anyone who experiences a misfire in there Gen 1 to pull the ignitors off and inspect the wells and have the TSB performed for the seal.

Shannock9 and usnavystgc like this.