1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

URGENT: warped dash problem on '04 ('05?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ghostofjk, Mar 24, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    glad to see this is being taken care of, priusinterested. ;)

i asked DH about that upper glovebox spring thing and he said he's seen one in the past, and they run 10-60 through the service dept daily. he doesn't remember what the circumstances were.

he doesn't recall any changes between the 05 and 04, at least that he's seen.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I was one of the first to complain of warpage back in the summer of '05 on my 2004 (post here #9763 - pics included). Unfortunately I caught mine just after surpassing 36k miles (I'm at almost 61k now), and didn't have the time to see if the dealer would be able to "wiggle" the mileage.

Only last month, however, did I notice the broken tabs on my upper glove-box lid. I attempted (in vain) to repair it with hot-glue, but the first hot day afterward took care of that. Thinking back though, the upper glove box hasn't worked right for quite some time - before I really took notice of the warped dash.

For quick reference, here's the same warp pic as of last year (cleaner dash):

[attachmentid=3926]

And here's what I have today (pardon the AZ dust):

[attachmentid=3924]

The hot AZ sun just isn't helping. I did speculate in my original post that the dealer who did my SSC 40D may have contributed to the issue, however it looks more like the glove box springs are really at fault.

It's gotten to the point where the deformation at the right side near the spring is permenant even when the spring was fixed. I've taken the dash apart to realign on the right side while fixing the glovebox lid. While there was some wiggle room w/ a couple of the bolts for alignment, I wasn't able to get too far. It definately looks "raised" in the area of the broken spring though.

However, now the warpage has spread on mine to the defroster vent ducting at the drivers (left) side. When peering in through the windshield, I've noticed that the ducting is misaligned with the dash holes by 1/4-1/2".

Picture (b&w due to low light noise - forgive the garage reflection):

[attachmentid=3925]

Does anyone have a part cost for a replacement glove compartment lid, and do you think Toyota would possibly go half on it given the numerous other complaints? I'm probably SOL on the dash, and wouldn't even want to speculate on the replacement cost for something that's more likely cosmetic than anything else.

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hi rick:

call up the toyota customer experience number and see what they can do for you. you could make a half-and-half deal or something. you never know.

good luck :)

5. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Jun 25 2006, 09:39 AM) [snapback]276518[/snapback]</div>
    I would think that if your dash took hot sun while warped for any length of time, it might be permanent, with the spring fixed. Mine is still raised a tiny bit.

Someone posted a dealer price for the whole upper glove box on another thread pertaining to the same problem. Seems it was $325 (!), though I could be remembering wrong. If so, that would prompt me to scour salvage yards, as that's a part likely to stay intact under most circumstances.

6. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, just like theforce said

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I gather that youse guys' cars are out of warranty because they're past 36,000 miles? Bummer, man.

Do you use a Sunshade? It ought to help keep things from getting worse.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jun 26 2006, 06:38 AM) [snapback]276779[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't buy the extended warranty, and I'm at 61,000 miles now. The problem started occuring about a year ago at around 36,000 miles - I just didn't get the time/opportunity to bring it in before the mileage increased further. I drive 75 miles a day, and by the time I had a chance, I was well into 37k miles.

9. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i tried to get my dealership, san diego, to fix the upper box (same general problem) as noted above, they refused. and i have the extended warranty. doesn't cover "interior trim".
    hmmm, not too good.
    what to do what to do???

10. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(artie @ Jul 1 2006, 08:24 PM) [snapback]279915[/snapback]</div>
    For now, I've removed the right-hand spring, so it can't exert any more pressure. The box door still works, just doesn't self-raise.

I keep procrastinating on writing, ahem, an intelligent-sounding letter to TFS, firmly making the case that the glove box is NOT "trim", that it is in fact a mechanical component whose fairly sophisticated moving parts are well-removed from the dash, not subject to being touched or mildly "abused" in any way, somewhat similar to a hood hinge.

I'll accompany the letter with a printout of all the posts I've seen where others have had the same problem.

Since I never use the damn thing (box), I just keep putting it off...

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have an 05 and I don't know if I have the problem or not. I can push down about a 1/4 inch with my finger right where the SRS Airbag sign is, when I remove my finger it springs back up again. I can see a bit of a gap but it really doesn't show unless you look for it. If I hadn't seen this topic I wouldn't have noticed it. On the drivers side in the same place it will only move down about half that far when I push on it. I haven't heard any rattles, the glove box still works fine, and the dash has never been taken apart by anyone.

Is this like when you read about some horrible disease and imagine you have all the symptoms or do I really need to take it apart and find out if it's broken? I bought my car last September and I live in a part of Oregon where summer temperatures are often over 100.

If you guys think I need to take it apart I'll trust your judgement. Or is there likely to be anything I can do when I do get it apart? The car only has 18K on it but I don't want the dealer to work on it unless I can't do the job.

12. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

If your glove box door slowly self-raises as it's supposed to, you don't have the problem.

Whether you can push the dash down 1/4" at that location isn't as important as whether the dash LOOKS slightly raised at that point.

The glove box is easy to remove if you're in doubt. You WILL want it replaced under warranty if you have the problem.

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jul 2 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]280263[/snapback]</div>
    OK thanks, I'll take a good look tomorrow.

14. Moby Whaley

Moby Whaley Junior Member

I have the exact same problem. My Glove Compartment will not open properly anymore. And . . . I went in for the recall on the steering column and now there is a click when in the gear shift when i shift from Park to Drive or Reverse. Any movement of the shift knob causes a click.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Mar 24 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]229816[/snapback]</div>

I have the exact problem as stated in this thread. All I know is I have had my Prius in for every recall I've received notices on. this summer my dash warpped. My glove compartment won't open correctly (it has to be lifted to get inside.) I have 63,000 miles on my Prius. Purchased in Oct. '03 with a 10 yr / 10,000 mile warranty from Toyota. Are there known solutions? Is there saftey hazards?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 24 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]229838[/snapback]</div>

15. Moby Whaley

thanks Puiusinterested! good to know there is some responsibility being owned up to by Toyota. Have there been any more developments to this situation that I need to know before I go to the Toyota Dealer. For instance, do they have a "name" for this circumstance that a Toyota Repairman or Service person would recognize if I mention this "name" problem.

I went in for a steering column recall also and now my gear shift clicks. It didn't before the recall. Is there something going on with this? might as well handle all at the same time.

Thanks again to PriusChat and the members.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusinterested @ Mar 31 2006, 05:59 PM) [snapback]233188[/snapback]</div>

16. Moby Whaley

Tumble weed, did you get your warp resolved? I have the same problem. also, I went in for the steering column recall and now my steering whell seems to be 5 degrees off and my gear shifter makes a click when I change gears.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jul 2 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]280235[/snapback]</div>

17. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Mar 24 2006, 10:02 PM) [snapback]229816[/snapback]</div>
    Interestingly enough, my wife just showed me her dash on the 04. After my driving it for 2 years, the dash had not warped, but within the last month, with the car 2.5 years old and with 40someK on it, the passenger dash has warped, and you have to press on the warped spot in order to open the upper compartment.

I'm headed out right now to remove the upper door to check it out...

...aaaaand BINGO! Both spring ends have broken out of their retainers.

Pics posted:
    Overall back of the upper glovebox, springs circled
    2nd overall pic
    closeup of passenger side (outer) spring and damage
    different angle of outer spring and damage
    closeup of driver's side (inner) spring and damage, broken plastic still there
    different angle of inner spring and damage

From the other thread, where I posted the info:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Mar 24 2006, 11:09 PM) [snapback]229857[/snapback]</div>
    I couldn't find that part # online or in any of the microfiche I have.

What I did find was the following for the upper glovebox (and only in 06 fiches, not 04):
    Dk Red - 55511-47020-D0
    Dk Brn - 55511-47020-E0
    Blk (06) - 55511-47060-C0
    55511-47020 shows at about $78 discounted at Conicelli online.

If Toyota thinks they're going to get away with not covering this, they had better think again. Pissing me off = one very bad idea ;-) But I'll think the best while I get it to the dealer...while preparing to contact Toyota CS to get it resolved.

In the meantime, I am leaving the glovebox out, hoping that the warped dash will level out, since the problem surfaced in the last week or so. But if it doesn't, well, Toyota had better be prepared to cover the cost of a new dash top, because there is no way, no how that I am paying for it. This is an obvious defect to me.

Update: I just pulled the glovebox from my 06, and unfortunately it doesn't look like the spring retainers were changed much, so it's quite possible this will also happen on the 06. The outer one wasn't changed at all, the inner one seems to have added some reinforcements. Unfortunately, it's the outer one that causes the worse dash warping.

Outer end, no changes
    Inner end, reinforcements may help
    Overall differences

The airbag harness no longer attaches to the back of the glovebox, it is attached to the metal tubing behind it in the dash.

18. rwalt

rwalt New Member

I live a hundred miles or so north of Sac, and have a 2004- I just checked, and my dash is warping in the exact spot you say- Right near the air bag lettering. It seems like it is a fairly recent thing. I will have my dealer look at it when I get my steering column done.

19. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    my dash has also warped at the same spot, above the upper g-box, early '04. :angry:

20. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I just noticed that this 'warping' happened as well, most likely after the steering recall... I don't recall if it was an issue before that. I'm going to the dealer today to have them check the innacurate fuel gauge issue, so I'll mention this as well... along with the excellent pictures/printout from the forum :-D

Hopefully the next time I'll go, I'll leave them the car for the day and they can replace my multidisplay (on order as of last week), do the fuel gauge fix and fix the dash all at the same time. :)

I have an early '04, myself.

UPDATE:

Multidisplay not in yet... grr. ETA on Monday though... *crosses fingers*

The dealer refused to do the innacurate fuel gauge replacement 'cause supposedly it took 11.9 gallons dry... oh well... They ordered a replacement glove box 55511 (dark grey trim)... thing is they also claim it is 'trim' and not covered by the extended warranty... cause otherwise it's gonna be $145.97!

UPDATE 2:

I argued my point to the Toyota Customer Experience Center just now, considering that I don't think it occured until after the steering recall or after the multidisplay check (the latter i'm not sure if the dash required removing) but I'm almost positive I noticed it after the steering recall... so I'm thinking that it was the dealer's fault when they put the dash back together.